'Sticky' Candy with lace panels, a how to....

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: 'Sticky' Candy with lace panels, a how to....

Post by Devilrod »

Thanks for the kind words Andrew. Especially after seeing what you have turned out, mine pales in comparison. As for being near Ararat, not quite, I'm more south east of Melbourne.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
streetneat
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by streetneat »

Devilrod wrote:Thanks for the kind words Andrew. Especially after seeing what you have turned out, mine pales in comparison. As for being near Ararat, not quite, I'm more south east of Melbourne.
Not at all - if anything yours is inspiration! :idea:
What I like about cars like yours is they are grass roots and the clean lines grabs my attention. It leaves me wonderin' - "why didn't I think of that!" White has never been a number one colour choice for me and your candy lace roof changes the whole perspective on what can be done with plain white cars. It wouldn't look out of place in my shed :wink:
Cooper Customs
State: NSW

Post by Cooper Customs »

yo, i think that its cool that this has been made a sticky thread. i do not mean to cause controversy so please dont take my words the wrong way, nor do i mean to be pretnetious.

i would not ever use spray cheif candy. i have only used it once as i did a job for a friend and he suppied the materials, even tho i told him to buy house of kolor.
spray cheif is not true urethane candy. i understand people will look at this and freak out, and it does look like an ok job.
\Did u flow coat the roof? candy must be flow coated for maximum photochemical reaction. candy sucks in gloss from clear, and the end result will loose gloss, and can suffer other imperfections.
u should never apply candy over silver, i kno people think that its how it has to be done,but its not.
Candy wont cover silver and u will have to apply too many coats of candy and can run risk of blochyness and modeling. it can also crack because sooo much material has to be applied. i have made my own bases for -
candy apple red
brandywine candy
wild cherry candy
teal candy
oriental blue and majestic blue candy
and none of them are silver.

I guess i hope this is helpfull information, but all in all the finished product does look good in the fotos, hopefully one day i can see this job with my own eyes

all the best
Custom • Race • Restoration
www.coopercustoms.com.au
Trev

Post by Trev »

Cooper Customs wrote: i have made my own bases for -
candy apple red
brandywine candy
wild cherry candy
teal candy
oriental blue and majestic blue candy
and none of them are silver.

I guess i hope this is helpfull information, but all in all the finished product does look good in the fotos, hopefully one day i can see this job with my own eyes

all the best
I think any further info on this can only help, like what are your bases that you use?
If you could put some of your pic's up to show the results I would love to see them, Trev 8) .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

I know every painter has a personal preference as to what paint they use and I have to say the two spray chief candy roofs painted by my mate have done none of the things you've said. One is at least 10 years old and mine is 5 years old now and has no signs of patchiness or fading unlike a couple of HOK candy jobs I know of where the candy faded and disappeared after a couple of years. I'm more than happy with the finish and I know a few people have been surprised by the fact its not HOK.

As for the bases, I'm no painter but I am only going on what I've seen and actually had done and the silver base worked fine with only 5 coats of candy purely to achieve a shade of red we were happy with. I've seen HOK candies applied as I know a painter who uses them and he uses coloured bases and coloured flake to work with the candy so I guess the two paints use slightly different systems to get similar end results.

Would be good to see some of your work. Candy paint jobs are always great viewing.
Cooper Customs

Post by Cooper Customs »

devil rod
you are right, house of kolor does fade. has the spray cheif retained its depth? 5 coats of candy is a bit much, but if it hasnt had any dramas at all, then i guess it doesnt matter...

trev
the best base to use is a simalar color of which color candy you are using. im not going to reveal the bases i have made, as it has taken me a while to develop them. i dont want someone to read this and be able to achieive the same finish as i can. as devil rod said it took him 5 caots, where as all candy jobs i do, i only EVER use 2 coats and candy, then 3 coats of clear, then flow coat.
i will be posting fotos of my FB sedan soon...sit tight everyone
www.coopercustoms.com.au
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Cooper Customs wrote:devil rod
you are right, house of kolor does fade. has the spray cheif retained its depth? 5 coats of candy is a bit much, but if it hasnt had any dramas at all, then i guess it doesnt matter...
The Spray chief candy has retained it's depth and colour and my car is a daily driver not a garaged weekend only car. The guy who painted it is an old school painter. Cut his teeth when acrylics were the only choice. Got out just as two pak came in. As an apprentice he sprayed mannequin legs in spray chief candy and they havent faded either. Hes in his mid forties and been painting since he was eighteen, so it is a good product. As for the HOK stuff fading, can't say I'd be happy forking out big bucks for a candy job that's going to disappear over time.
Trev

Post by Trev »

Look forward to seeing the sedan :D .
And any other pics you have of lace work :wink: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Nekro63

Post by Nekro63 »

Obviously Cragar doesnt know what his talking about, and you would have thought if spray chief was so bad they'd be out of business a long time ago... I know if i get something wrong the first time i use it then i always blame the product.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

:mrgreen:
Sputzwagon

Post by Sputzwagon »

I've just noticed that I hav'nt commented on this sticky, DR!!
Wonderful!! :thumbsup: Inspirational!! :mrgreen: and down right C 8) 8) L!!
Viv la Kustomz!

Scotty.
[img]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg211/scottyharrod/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No 2
Cooper Customs

Post by Cooper Customs »

but
Nekro63 wrote:Obviously Cragar doesnt know what his talking about, and you would have thought if spray chief was so bad they'd be out of business a long time ago... I know if i get something wrong the first time i use it then i always blame the product.
um
yea
ok

i didnt get the job wrong, it came out perfect, i just wasnt happy with the product or the finish.
anyhow, it seems u kno best...
www.coopercustoms.com.au
bootlegger

Post by bootlegger »

Ive only ever used candies on bikes. I did a lambretta for my wife years ago. I couldnt get it to look right over a silver base. I was using a purple candy. I ended up basing it with a lilac metallic I mixed up and then the candy over the top. It came out the way I wanted.
Its been over ten years now and still looks fine. I think I used spray chief.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Sadly spray chief are no more. They were bought out and shut down.... Luckily I have some left as my dash needs to be resprayed courtesy of the dickwads that stole my car being inept at removing a speaker grill.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Cal

Post by Cal »

They were bought out, but definitely not shut down.

A Sydney based paint manufacturer bought them, and from what I've been told the brand will continue.