'Sticky' Candy with lace panels, a how to....

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Devilrod
State: VIC

'Sticky' Candy with lace panels, a how to....

Post by Devilrod »

OK to save me re-typing this at a later date and as a few have asked, I'll post this up here for those who are game. Spraying the candy is the hardest part, if not sprayed right you will get stripes and patchiness. You don't have to use candy, you could just do a slightly different colour and spray the panels with no candy. Its only limited by your imagination.

Step 1.
Paint base colour first, spray chief silver base (extremely metallic/fine metalflake)

Step 2.
Mask up your panel design, in this instance I wanted two panels with a line around the edge.

Step 3.
Lay out material (lace, or in this case teraleens, you know that white stuff hanging in ya windows!) or whatever it is that has your chosen pattern.
It doesn't need to be masked that much, just enough to hold it being careful not to distort the pattern. Mix some black in with the silver base then apply
a couple of light coats, remove the material and do a light coat or two around the edge to give it some definition. Remove the lace and the tape after it has tacked off. Missed getting some photos of this stage was a bit too excited.

Step 4.
Apply candy till a required shade of colour is achieved.

Step 5.
Apply numerous coats of clear for depth! Around about 6 coats of clear went on :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

And voila.....Instant 8)

All up there are about 15 layers of paint from the silver up through to the clear :shock: and about 3 hours of cutting and buffing....Well worth it if you ask me.

Last edited by Devilrod on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - Candy and lace 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ekv8ute
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by ekv8ute »

Geez Brett ask and yee shall receive!Thanks for putting up this how too-I think there will be a few new lace jobs soon.

Mark
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Not a problem Mark, the more custom paint jobs the better I say. 8)
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

cool post DR...could this be a 'sticky' candy..? 8) sorry pretty lame joke I know...

regards
Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

parisian62 wrote:cool post DR...could this be a 'sticky' candy..? 8) sorry pretty lame joke I know...

regards
Stewart
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one Stewart!!!

If you want you can make it 'sticky" candy.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
autobilly

Post by autobilly »

G'Day Devilrod, I just found this site. Very kool, I wish I'd known about it years ago.
Excellent custom paint "how to". I might have told you on the HAMB, but I really dig your EK!
"I'm a Rocker, I'm a Roller, I'm a Real Gone Outa-controller..."- Bon Scott
Grey all the way.
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

autobilly wrote:G'Day Devilrod, I just found this site. Very kool, I wish I'd known about it years ago.
Excellent custom paint "how to". I might have told you on the HAMB, but I really dig your EK!
Yeah its a good site, one of my fav's. Glad you like the EK, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! For a low buck home built job anyway...
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

just saw my old wagon in a book with my lace job,the first one I did ,it looks super hard, but is easy as,,,, LACE EVERYTHING I say
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

Hey DR,
Are you a painter, or just a jack of all trades? awesome paint job.
Was that in 2 pack? and are effects like that possible with acrylic?
Jimmy
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Hows the saying go "jack of all trades master of none!!!" :lol: :lol:

No I'm not a painter, I just did all the prep work for the roof/body. You know prime, sand, prime sand, prime sand..... I have a very good mate who was once a painter, he did the candy. Its not the first car I've painted but I left the top coat to some one who knows what they are doing this time :lol: :lol:

Now for the really good bit this is all acrylic! Spray Chief to be exact. Aussie produced and resilient to Aussie conditions. Doesn't fade like other brands....
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

jack of all trades :) excellent. i want to learn as much as i can about everything-i hate the idea of forking out money for someone to build a car for me!
as i don't know much about paints its interesting to find out that all these effects can be done in acrylic-here i was thinking i was stuck with a flat colour. gives me much broader options, although it's hard to think of a colour other than white, black or red that will go nicely with my red and white interior
Jimmy
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

acrylic is very forgiving in the early stages and a nice result can come from a back shed just lots of time and persistence,and if you think its ready for top coat prime and sand again
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

:) excellent just what i need. that and a couple of old drums to practice rust repair and painting on
Jimmy
streetneat

Re: 'Sticky' Candy with lace panels, a how to....

Post by streetneat »

Ive always been a big fan of this car - simple and very effective. Well done! Yet another example of the artistic talent lurking on this site...
A mate Dave Downie in Ararat sent me a pic of your car a few years ago - so you mustn't be far from Ararat? (I used to go down there and stay while I did the Ron Covell course at Waddingtons in Castlemaine)

That's a great result from acrylic and shows what can be done from the humble home garage - where most of us work from anyhow!

Cheers streetneat-Andrew