Trim styles FB-EK

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Shane'o
State: QLD

Re: Trim styles FB-EK

Post by Shane'o »

Trim update:
I phoned SMS Auto Fabric in the USA and they can adjust their weld press to make the correct pattern as shown in my earlier pic. for EK utes etc.
They need me to send my door cards to them so they can use them as a template.
They will make them to the original pattern and in the original Mephisto Red vinyl that I need. Cost around USD$1K + shipping to Aust.
I would have the added cost to ship my door cards to them on top of that cost.....$$$$$.
I am checking with Winners in S.A. to see if they can adjust their press, and if so at what extra cost? TBA.
I wonder where the original press pattern ended up?
cheers,
Shane'o
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

WOW - it adds up doesn't it :shock: :shock: :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

I just spoke with Winners in S.A. who confirmed that they may be able to make a new weld press pattern to match the EK Ute pattern.
It would start with a one-off cost/charge of $6k-$8k to make the pattern stamp. Then the cost to actually make the door cards etc. on top of that.
If say 10 members wanted to share the cost of the new stamp pattern, that would equal $600 - $800 each member. 20 members $300 - $400 each and so on. You still need to buy the correct vinyl from the U.S.A. and send it to Winners in S.A. to get as close as possible to the original.
Let me know your thoughts? Or have we been down this track before?
cheers,
Shane'o
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I'm interested Shane and sounds like a worthy plan. But what about the FB trims? I'm chasing a drivers one and got original ek ones currently. I would consider swapping if you could find the one I need.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

:ekholden:
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Shane'o wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:02 pm
Does anybody know anyone that can press the correct door trim pattern? Or be very, very, good and can perform magic at restoring torn trim?
See pic attached.

Hey Shane'o

If those pictures (previous page) are your current door trims you could see if a local company could vinyl weld that tear. I have had vinyl welded in my FB many years ago so it is possible and the results were good. Removing surplus material on the back of the door card could be used as a test piece. The door cards can be repaired as I have had to do mine in several locations and it works out ok.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Hi, Stephen.
Thanks for the heads up on the vinyl weld repair. I have asked around up here in Brisbane and "Lee Brothers Australia" is the one that most people are suggesting are the best (or better than most). I will chase them up and see how I go.
cheers,
Shane'o
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Hi, Stephen.
Just an update on the trim saga.
I visited Lee Brothers here in Brisbane about 3 weeks ago and dropped off my 2 x door cards (Ute), they said that they did not look that bad and should be able to make new backing panels, new wadding and re-use the original vinyl to make 2 x new/repaired door panels. I requested a quote before they start work. Now just waiting on the quote. I chased them up again earlier this week and they said they will came back to me shortly.......
No hurry if the price is reasonable and their work is good.
Still waiting on SMS Auto Fabric in the USA to reply. I sent them an email in July and a follow up email earlier this month. I have also phoned them twice, where both times they said they can supply the correct vinyl and that they would send me some free samples so I can double check before ordering. Still waiting......
cheers,
Shane'o
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Hi,
Just an update on the Door cards and the trim material from SMS Auto Fabric in the USA.
Firstly Lee Brothers are still working on the door cards and they expect to have them finished this week. (Just before Xmas........hopefully).
I will send a pic once I pick them up.
As for the Vinyl trim, SMS posted their samples which arrived last week. (See pix below). They stated they are an exact match but the pattern does not match up with the seat that I have? I wonder if they mean the colour is exact. Maybe not the pattern.
Can anyone identify if the pattern as being period accurate for EK utes or it may have just been for GMH cars in the USA?
SMS Auto Fabric USA Samples_001.jpg
SMS Auto Fabric USA Samples_001.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 586 times
Attachments
EK Seat.jpg
EK Seat.jpg (3.37 MiB) Viewed 586 times
cheers,
Shane'o
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The silver grey is EK Special spec and wouldn't have been fitted to any commercial. Reckon my EK van had same grey inserts as you, with vertical stripes embossed.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I would love to get hold of a few metres of that top pattern, only in the iridescent pale green.

EK van on rotisserie
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Hi, I picked up the door cards from Lee Brothers in Brisbane earlier this week.
They were able to re-use the original vinyl. They replaced the cardboard backing. replaced the wadding. Did a couple of vinyl weld repairs and tried to colour match to the original. New clips. Did a deep clean which removed 60+ years of crap but could not get rid of all the marks. But still very happy with the outcome. Looking forward to putting these back on. Cost $300.00 total. I will take the bench seat to them when they return after the Xmas holiday break and see if they can repair it as well.
Attachments
Repaired Door Cards.pdf
(3.81 MiB) Downloaded 111 times
cheers,
Shane'o
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Those door cards look great Shane’o glad you were able to save them. The trim on your bench seat & door cards is the same as my EK Ute except green instead of the red.

Nice work.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Thanks, Stephen.
Will see how we go with the seat repair in the New Year. Fingers crossed.
cheers,
Shane'o
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Hi, Sorry it took so long to post a pic of the door cards fitted. Very happy with the result. Now working on ways to tackle the bench seat. Will keep you updated on my progress.
Attachments
EK Door card fitted.jpg
EK Door card fitted.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 195 times
cheers,
Shane'o