Wiper Wiring question

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ek lover
State: NOT ENTERED

Wiper Wiring question

Post by ek lover »

Hey guys,

Just bought a 62 EK and yes now it rains. Turn the wiper switch and shes dead. Looked under the dash and there is only a black wire that runs to the swithch. There is another prong next to it, so iam thinking there should be a red wire connected to it. Searched under the dash for a lose red wire but no luck.

Has anyone got any ideas before i go running off to the auto elec.

Thanks in advance.
cj fb ute

Post by cj fb ute »

grab a test light check if the wire you have is power or earth, then get a lenght of wire and run it from another power wire to your switch, see if the switch then works, only if yours is an earth that is. then just hard wire it to a ignition power wire, hope this helps without making it to hard :!: :)
got to love the old trusty grey motor and drum brakes
Woodzy

Post by Woodzy »

EK lover,
If you are running a standard single speed wiper setup, you shouldnt need a power wire to the wiper switch.
The power wire (brown) runs to the wiper motor, the other terminal is the earth wire (black) which runs to the wiper switch. See that neither have fell off.
Otherwise take cj_fb_ute's test light and see if there is power on the brown wire terminal (with the key on IGN).
If no, check the fuse or the other end of the brown power wire under the dash.
If yeh, could be a dud motor, a break in the black wire or bad earth connection where the wiper switch mounts in the dash.

Hope this helps.

PS, if the wipers dont park (go to rest position) hook a wire from the wiper motor body to the car body.
ek lover

Cheers lads

Post by ek lover »

Thanks for the help lads will let you know how we go.

Cheers :lol:
rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Woodzy - you've put up all my look for's...........

The wiper switch on the dash is just an earth - once the cycle starts, the wipers self-park unless they find earth again to keep going.
The only way you can stop them mid-flight is to turn the ignition off where you want them to sit - this kills the positive to the motor instantly.........

For them not to work at all, check as mentioned that you have power at the brown lead (with red terminal).

You can test your switch quite easily - disconnect the black wire and terminal from the wiper motor - and fit a temporary wire from there to earth - with the ignition on, if the wipers start - you have a switch or wiring issue.

Just trying to remember what that brass strip to the wiper motor did - I know I removed mine and something didn't work - it was a long time ago, the strip is mounted to "earth" under one of the motor mounts - the other end goes to the wiper motor body - I know the mounts are insulated from the body in rubber bushes - other wise your wiper would work all the time the ignition is "on" - sorry, just thinking through the circuit..........
I believe the purpose of the strip is to provide "earth" to the motor when called apon by the "wiper"to the armature - the dash wiper switch only needs to start this process for the strip "earth" to take over until the cycle repeats.......... yep that's how it works - you need the strip to make the wiper motor work.......or if you don't like the strip - replace it with a reasonable lead - do not change the points where it is connected, though.....

If all these checks fail - you may be looking at either re-conditioning or replacing the wiper motor............. I have not had one of these apart - yet so am not versed in the internals............... maybe one day........
There is also a chance that your linkages are jammed - if that's the case, the fuse should blow - fuses protect motors - not the other way round - don't be tempted to ever fit a higher rated fuse than specified............ they are purpose rated............and..........don't do as I heard once - someone used a 22 calibre "live" round for a lighting fuse - until the lamps shorted and he shot his mate in the leg................. read the annual "Darwin" awards - you'll bust up every year, guaranteed........

I feel there is a wiper (no pun intended) which rotates with the armature - this wiper would have a "neutral" position where it does not make contact unless the switch is "on" this is the normal "park" position for the wipers - I believe that is how the system operates, but cannot profess this as gospel .........

frats,
Rosco

ps, do NOT connect an earth to the positive terminal of the wiper motor.

The wiper fuse, by the way - is usually in a metal fuse holder which is clipped to the steering column mast (frame) mine was originially r/hs...........Rosco
Brown Bear

Post by Brown Bear »

Reading this has me a little bemused...

See my FB has the later EK wiper setup fitted, and has always worked by switching the wipers 'on' when needed and 'off' at an approximate parking spot - no self park here...

Will check the earth lead when I'm next in the shed.
On safari

Member of FB EK Holden Car Club of NSW Inc.
Woodzy

Post by Woodzy »

Hi Matt,
Here's a pic of Bev's EK wiper setup. The park wire is connected to the lug under the left mounting bolt.

rosco, spot on with the wiper neutral position. The park wire maintains contact with earth, after the switch is turned off, until the rotating cam opens the park switch contacts in the wiper gearbox.

Cheers,
Woodzy