Accelerator cable and pedal

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

reddo
State: NOT ENTERED

Accelerator cable and pedal

Post by reddo »

Hi All
Heading to the wreckers for an accelerator cable and a accelerator pedal to suit my ute.
At the moment it has a mixture of an aftermarket bracket i bought from a performance shop in Newcastle, The bracket is moved by the existing thtottle arm that mounts on the firewall. There is attachments on the bracket that accepts a throttle cable which takes a big loop around onto the Holley throttle body.
I wanna get rid of this system as there is too many bits and pieces and it creates a heavy pedal.

Whats the best cable set up?? make and model of car the bits are off would be great.
Have heard of L300. I had a HZ cable with an unknown pedal arrangement on the FC Van that worked well.??

Its probably been thrashed out here before . can someone provide a link to the topic if there is one ?????.

Reddo

Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Here ya go Reddo,

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=904

I'll give you a tip, use the search function works a treat :wink:
Took me a couple of minutes...second link has a few different setups.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

i've used vk commodore pedals in the past, you need to bend them to suit your car but its not a big job if you have an oxy .... i believe you can get them from rare spares which is the same as the commodore one ... then you just get a v8 hq i think cable which is nice and long and will work a treat.

i did make the bracket for the cable on the carby end myself but im sure whatever you have there now should work with it ?
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
reddo

Post by reddo »

[quote="Devilrod"]Here ya go Reddo,

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=15

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=904

I'll give you a tip, use the search function works a treat :wink:
Took me a couple of minutes...second link has a few different setups.[/quote]

Thanks devilrod.
I searched twice on "accelerator" and came up with dozens of threads/posts both times. I think i need to learn how to refine my searches. :roll:
Thanks for taking the time to put the links up.
I remember using a VC commy cable on one of my cars and the HZ V8 cable on another . one had twin strommys. the other had a stock reco 186 single carb.
Just wasnt sure what pedal to use. Seems like VB to VL commodore will do the trick .No big deal to knock up a bracket to hold the outer cable at the Holley carb. and square up the hole in the firewall.

I remember the pedal in the FC Van use to come loose at the floor bracket... I would be driving along and the pedal would "slump over" next to the brake pedal. It was installed by the original owner with only one bolt holding it to the floor. Once i bolted it down with a second bolt i got the last 1/4 of the throttle responding and found another 300 HP in the old 202.... :D :D :D :D musta been that V8 cable doin the trick :wink:
Thanks guys.
Reddo
Holden .. australian car for australian conditions.....partyin', drinkin' ,cruisin' and rootin'
captainbill

Post by captainbill »

Hey reddo i went for the hj option aswell.No drama's here.Works a treat.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

I added the word "pedal". I've learnt the more precise you are the better result you'll get.

But yeah mines HZ...
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Mine is VN Commode
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Re:

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Blacky wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:29 am Mine is VN Commode
Hey Geoff, how did the VN commy pedal work out?

Did you use the VN cable in that combo also?

Did you drill a new hole in the fire wall and slip the cable through a grommet?

Just getting ideas as I’m thinking of doing the same.
Drew
Errol62

Re: Accelerator cable and pedal

Post by Errol62 »

He only gets called that by his mum when he’s been naughty………

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Another option for the cable (for those who can't weld): original pedal (this one is a Rares replacement), short extension on the pedal arm, and aftermarket cable kit from Flexibledrive.

cable 2.jpg
cable 2.jpg (532.81 KiB) Viewed 726 times
cable 1.jpg
cable 1.jpg (583.37 KiB) Viewed 726 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Re:

Post by Blacky »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:43 am
Blacky wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:29 am Mine is VN Commode
Hey Blacky, how did the VN commy pedal work out?

Did you use the VN cable in that combo also?

Did you drill a new hole in the fire wall and slip the cable through a grommet?

Just getting ideas as I’m thinking of doing the same.
Yeah it worked OK but I prefer using the stock pedal , something like Harv has posted, I wasn't aware someone did a kit for them though , that comment above was from a V6 EK sedan my wife used as a daily so the Commode pedal fit straight in for the throttle body end and just required a bit of fettling inside to make it comfortable to use .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Part number for the flexible drive kit. It has the cable, clevises, rubber boots etc. Have to DIY your own pedal arm extension though. Some guidance in the Strommie Guide on length of extension vs. cable pull possible.

flexible drive cable kit.jpg
flexible drive cable kit.jpg (477.82 KiB) Viewed 709 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Thanks Harv, I went straight into Flexiblw Drive and had a look and yes I think it’s a great kit… bought it home with me to Hagar a play with now.

I think I’ll extend the pedal shaft by 1 inch, if it is no good I can always have another go at it.

Cheers Blacky for the update, I’ll definitely stay with the factory pedal.
Drew
Harv

Post by Harv »

Check how much cable pull you need once you have the carb manifold linkage put together.

The standard pedal will give you 12mm of pull. Extending it 40mm will give you 35mm of cable pull.

Extend it much further than that and you can hit the y-frame leg. If you need more cable pull, change the lever length up on the carb manifold linkage (shorter lever = less pull but more force needed).

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I tried a HJ-Z pedal and cable at one stage. I didn't like the pedal but stuck with the cable, extending the stock pedal lever and using the top pedal mounting screw to hold a bracket for the cable outer end. Worked very well. There should be a pic of the setup on the forum somewhere.

Also, to get the cable mount up out of the weeds, I have thought of retaining the first set of levers and running from there, up the firewall a bit. In the end I have stuck with full stock setup, just reshaping the cross bar to clear the back of the red head, and adjusting the carby end simply by bending here and there. Just running single Stromberg but I think it sits further out on the red motor. May h save to rethink this when I get round to changing the carb over to WW.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie