New Brake Drums ?

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

fraze
State: VIC

Re: New Brake Drums ?

Post by fraze »

I endorse FJ Wally's comments. I put new EH drums on my FB over 12 months ago. I have been using the car regularly and have had no issues. I read somewhere that ther is a chance that the drums and/or the backing plates can distort when using these EH drums, but you only have to sit the drum inside the wheel to see that this does not happen. So go for it. Cheers, Fraze
fraze

Post by fraze »

PS. I am using standard FB steel wheels. Fraze
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

thanks all for the quick response - found some for a good price (ending today)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RDA-Brake-D ... ctupt=true

actually came up even cheaper than the ad - (6% came off twice :thumbsup: )

Patrick
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Nice - mine were 172 a pair as a guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
fb cruisin
State: NSW

Post by fb cruisin »

FJWALLY wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:40 am Nice - mine were 172 a pair as a guide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
good score.
After running oversize drums for years,
its nice to know you have a little more meat on the new ones when you put your foot on the go slow pedal really hard.
Cheers Rob

Post by Craig Allardyce »

It's amazing what transpires overtime and gets lost in conversation. I hope no one is running these drums with standard rims. The original drums were dished as was the rim. Think about it. The stud mounting face on EJ EH drums is flush with the outer rim of the drum. THIS FOULS on standard FB EK rims. It may not be noticeable as the wheel will still bolt up, BUT the rim doesn't sit flush with the drum and has to be distorted by tightening of the wheel nuts to get the rim to seat against the drum. As a mechanic this stuff scares the crap out me seeing disinformation being taken as gospel.
original brakes.png
original brakes.png (18.15 MiB) Viewed 543 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

eBay ad says they suit EJ EH Craig, which ran the same wheels as FE -EK. Not that I would put much stock in what an eBay seller says, but I reckon the problem comes when the wider brakes and drums are used with early wheels. You can see that the hubcaps sit out further from the wheel on the HD HR rims for this reason, which doesn’t look quite right on an FB, the reason I rejected them for my ute. Torana are another story again, as the drum outer dits well inboard of the mounting face.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Errol62 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:36 am eBay ad says they suit EJ EH Craig, which ran the same wheels as FE -EK. Not that I would put much stock in what an eBay seller says, but I reckon the problem comes when the wider brakes and drums are used with early wheels. You can see that the hubcaps sit out further from the wheel on the HD HR rims for this reason, which doesn’t look quite right on an FB, the reason I rejected them for my ute. Torana are another story again, as the drum outer dits well inboard of the mounting face.

Sorry but its to do with the rim offset on HD HR that causes the hub cap to stick out not drum width. Not all the rims were the same across FE -EH.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (17.43 KiB) Viewed 534 times

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
fraze

Post by fraze »

I would like to reiterate my post of 12 months ago. I have now been running EH drums on my FB with standard wheels for two years, regularly, and nothing has happened! As for the "dish" in the wheels etc all I can say is that before I fitted the drums I put little dobs of plasticene all over the drum face and sat it inside the wheel. Without tightening it up the wheel and drum made contact in all the right places with no distortion. I did check also with the manufacturers and discussed with guru Ken McLean and they were OK with it.I would have thought that if there was a problem with drum/wheel mismatch it would have shown up by now. Cheers, Fraze
Harv

Post by Harv »

Craig Allardyce wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:40 am Sorry but its to do with the rim offset on HD HR that causes the hub cap to stick out not drum width. Not all the rims were the same across FE -EH.
My understanding is that the wheel offset (steel rims) are identical offset FE-EH. The wheel assembly (wheel and tyre) differs in the commercials (rivets, 6-ply tyres on the commercials). The workshop manual lists the same track (54.5") for all models, with identical diff width (1396mm).

HR changed, with a track increase to 54.9" on non-commercials. This was achieved by widening the diff (by 0.4" to 1406mm), with the same wheel offset. The commercials retained the same 54.5" track... same HR diff as the non-commercials, but different offset wheels to non-commercials.

I might be wrong though... paging Dr Terry, Dr Terry to the courtesy phone please :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi

Post by gpi »

Dr Terry wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:35 am Hi Guys.

AFAIK all FE to HR rear axle assemblies are around the same length (width).

HR's wider track was due to a change in offset of the wheel rims & this was for sedans & wagons only. HR utes & vans got HD rims with the reduced track dimension.

The rims with the reduced offset (wider track) are easily identified by the small 1/8" hole in one of the ridges between the wheel nut holes.

Dr Terry
gpi

Post by gpi »

Dr Terry wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:55 pm Hi Guys.

All factory FE to EH wheels will interchange, the only difference is the larger valve hole in FE & early FC rims.

FE to EH will not fit over HD/HR drums.

Dr Terry.
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

fraze wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:25 am I would like to reiterate my post of 12 months ago. I have now been running EH drums on my FB with standard wheels for two years, regularly, and nothing has happened! As for the "dish" in the wheels etc all I can say is that before I fitted the drums I put little dobs of plasticene all over the drum face and sat it inside the wheel. Without tightening it up the wheel and drum made contact in all the right places with no distortion. I did check also with the manufacturers and discussed with guru Ken McLean and they were OK with it.I would have thought that if there was a problem with drum/wheel mismatch it would have shown up by now. Cheers, Fraze
I did similar and all was good.

I just went out and checked some original wheels and drums.. the wheel's mounting surface is basically a flat surface with indents - the drums have some protrusions which fit into those indents

So putting a standard wheel onto a flat surface (like the drums discussed) doesn't appear to be a problem

(only problem I could see was if you tried to put a flat wheel without indents (if they exist) onto an original drum it would sit on the protrusions)

Patrick
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Interesting what Harv says that hr diff went 0.4" wider. I have one here but could be HD rather than HR. I will check it out. I wonder if there is a fool proof way to differentiate (boom, boom) between the two. I have compared EH and FB and found them to be same width drum to drum.

I always thought the HR non commercial track widening was achieved by varying the rim offset. I have a HR passenger and a commercial rim here as well as some stock early rims, which are on my 6x4. I will do some measuring.

This comes up every few years and always results on an interesting discussion. Many enthusiasts still believe the hole in HR rim is to identify it as for use with disc brakes, whereas we know it is to differentiate the wider track HR passenger rims from the HR commercial and all HD rims with the larger positive offset.

Thanks for storing the pot Craig. Good to see you on here.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

If this rain stops in the next few days, I'll pop the wheels off both the HR Prem and the FB and measure the diff width.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.