New Brake Drums ?

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: New Brake Drums ?

Post by Errol62 »

Craig I'm wondering if the different EH rims you refer to are from the carry over commercials with HD brakes.
Rob you can ignore the brake hose and handbrake attachments as Thea e are mods made by me to suit fitment under my EK sedan. In retrospect I would have liked the HD HR unit for it's tidier spring mounting setup but have stuck with the EH u-bolt setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yeh not sure about that Rob. Never ventured past EJ.

Could be Clay, I'm only summising would could have been done back then. I'm now wondering about the EH drums I had. All I know is that the drums wouldn't seat properly in the rim. Diameter wasn't the issue, it was the outer rim of the drum that fouled with the rim.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

Clay,

(examined rear axle photo more closely for rear spring mounts . . .)

Shit, you're right. It's an EH rear axle. My bad.
When I did a disc-brake conversion to the ex-family EK in '82 (ahh, nostalgia . . .), I bolted in an HR rear axle. The non-U-bolt rear spring saddles posed no problems, but the original rear brake hose was only-just-not-long enough. I cut the underbody HR handbrake cable mounts out of the donor car, and bolted them to the EK floor.

Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Cool Rob. Love a bit of notalja. These days you'd get whatever made up or even off the shelf to suit the body/drive train setup. I reckon my cable was taken from an HR. Using the original body mounts, the sheath ends sat forward a couple inch. I cut the cable and spliced in some 7 strand galv cable a la hills hoist from Bunnings using little u clamps. Primitive but effective and great hand brakeys. Wouldn't make it over the pits maybe an engineers report lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
fraze

Post by fraze »

I just fitted a set of new repro EH brake drums to an FB, direct fit, no problems with wheels etc, couldn't be easier, Fraze :D
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

fraze wrote:I just fitted a set of new repro EH brake drums to an FB, direct fit, no problems with wheels etc, couldn't be easier, Fraze :D
Fraze do you have any details on these drums like part number, manufacturer, dimensions, etc? Very interested here! Thanks.
fb cruisin

Post by fb cruisin »

Craig Allardyce wrote:
fraze wrote:I just fitted a set of new repro EH brake drums to an FB, direct fit, no problems with wheels etc, couldn't be easier, Fraze :D
Fraze do you have any details on these drums like part number, manufacturer, dimensions, etc? Very interested here! Thanks.
This is what I wanted to know in my original post.

Post by fraze »

Craig, these EH brake drums are available from a number of sources via ebay, just go to "EH brake drums" and scroll. Your nearest source would probably be 'clutchandbrakeonline" who are based in Gosford. Another source is "empoweredautoparts" I got mine from Sunbury Brake and clutch in Melbourne. The part number is RDA6780. hope this helps, Fraze
Craig Allardyce

fraze wrote:Craig, these EH brake drums are available from a number of sources via ebay, just go to "EH brake drums" and scroll. Your nearest source would probably be 'clutchandbrakeonline" who are based in Gosford. Another source is "empoweredautoparts" I got mine from Sunbury Brake and clutch in Melbourne. The part number is RDA6780. hope this helps, Fraze
Thanks Fraze. Can you post some pictures of the drum/s?
fraze

Post by fraze »

Frankly I don't know how to post pictures here! However the ebay sites i told you about have pictures. The EH drums don't look like FB EK but don't let that put you off, they fit! Fraze
fb cruisin

Post by fb cruisin »

fraze wrote:Craig, these EH brake drums are available from a number of sources via ebay, just go to "EH brake drums" and scroll. Your nearest source would probably be 'clutchandbrakeonline" who are based in Gosford. Another source is "empoweredautoparts" I got mine from Sunbury Brake and clutch in Melbourne. The part number is RDA6780. hope this helps, Fraze

They also appear to have a flat mounting surface, which would suit me better as I run 14 inch HG rims.

Post by Errol62 »

Another wheel difference. Here is a shot of an FB hubcap on a HD wheel. Tyre is 185 70 13 (uniroyal c1980).
Didn't quite get the angle the same on the second photo, which is stock rim, 175 80 13 tyre.
The HD rims make the hub caps stick out from the rim which looks dicky I reckon. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

yep, sticky out hubcaps look horrid ....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
fb cruisin

Post by fb cruisin »

Well 12 and a half years later, since the original post.
I have finally replaced my brake drums.
And yes they fit the FB/EK backing plates :whistlinggg: :yeahhh:

Cheers Rob