Generator to alternator conversion

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

State: NOT ENTERED

Generator to alternator conversion

Post by newbie »

Can anyone help me, I want to convert my car (grey motored EK) from Generator to Alternator, I have made a custom bracket to mount the alternator to the grey motor, and have mounted it but have no idea on the electrical wiring of it????
Thanks
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

G`day Newbie , welcome to the forum , what sort of alternator are you planning to use ? If you use one from a HQ etc , it is a virtual plug in arrangement , using the external regulator from the Q as well as the alternator.
Hope this helps.
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

Hi newby.

The wiring is even simpler, if you're using a modern alternator with an built-in regulator. These were fitted to all Holdens HJ & later.

Unwrap the harness between the old reg & gen & follow this.

The only 3 wires that matter are:-

1. The thin brown wire that goes inside to the dash (gen light). Connect this to the spade terminal on the back of the alternator. You may have to extend the wire to reach.

2. The thick red wire at the old reg. Connect this to the bolt-on +ve terminal at the back of the alternator. You may also have extend this one too.

3. The one everybody forgets. Run a new thick black wire from the alternator bracket (or any bolt on the block or the head) directly to the body. Use one of the old regulator mount screw holes.

Dr Terry.

Post by newbie »

Thanks guys,
I think I have a later model alternator with built in reg, as the unit has a D+ and D- with a plastic plug socket at the top, and a bolt on post labelled B+ and on the lower half of the alternator is a D+ terminal all on its own??
see picture below,

So then where would I need to connect the wiring to these terminals, I assume the post is for the thick red wire, the spade terminal should I use the lower one or one of the ones in the plastic plug type set up?? (+ or -) and then run a wire to the body from the bolt??
Hope this is correct????

can you tell I am hopeless at electricals????
TAYZ 58

Post by TAYZ 58 »

newbie, I am also about to do this conversion on my FC as the generator and points are cactus. is it possible to post a pic of the bracket that you have made? i am going to get auto elec to wire mine up

TAYZ 58
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

Hi Guys.

That's an HQ alternator .

It will need an external regulator.

Follow the wiring in an HQ workshop manual or see an auto electrician, or get a later model one & follow my wiring.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but there are 2 common brands of alternator used on Holdens, use the Bosch & not the Lucas.

Dr Terry.

Post by newbie »

Ok bought a later model alternator from the local wreckers, and think I have worked it out, see picture, Dr Terry do I bypass the firewall mounted regulator completely??
and please confirm this is correct labels in the picture

P.S. this is my first car and I hope to have it restored for when I get my licence!

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Thats it , the thing at the top is a suppressor to limit noise to your radio , it should have a lead coming out of one end that goes with the thick red wire .

Post by newbie »

Thanks Blacky, and I can completely remove the old regulator off the firewall? and the noise supressor thingy does the wire just join the red wire at the other terminal or does it go somewhere?
earlyholdenfan

Post by earlyholdenfan »

Hi Newbie,
Sounds like you need the basics here,
Yes remove the old regulator if you wish as it is superceded by the new alternator inbuilt one, The wiring as shown by Dr Terry is correct for the later type and will work perfectly. it is a very simple operation, but I understand your hesitation, talk to your wrecker, or call an auto electrician for any assistance, (if they are selling you parts they will help you out with info as well)
Cheers
Matt

P.S. any chance of piccies of your ride????
Hoping everyone is finding my new Avatar less "Distracting" and of course it is not directed at anyone or anything either currently living or deceased, hopefully it may just be allowed to remain!
EKfanPaul

Re: Generator to alternator conversion

Post by EKfanPaul »

Going through the motions of this Generayor on a grey to alternator converstion. Have had a moble auto elect supply a new alternator that suits the same style belt with a built in reg. If anyone has any pics of the brackets (that they have mocked up) I'd really love to see them.

Thanks. Paul
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Changed the Gen and Reg to one wire alternator today. Made the bracket using a Holden red six alternator bracket with a few mods, pics below. The one wire alternator has 2 spade terminals marded #1 and #2, run the gen light wire (brown) to the #1 terminal and a heavy wire to the + (positive) on the battery. Remove the regulator and all old wiring as it is not required anymore !! :thumbsup:

The front generator mounting bolt was replaced with a stud and nut.

I used the original Generator adjuster, reshaped it and relocated it to the water pump bolt obove the original one.

Hope this helps someone in the future... :D :D :D :D
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

:thumbsup: nice one Gaz
Trev

Post by Trev »

Similar to what I did in the wagon :thumbsup: .
You will have to enter in the modified class now with all the red 6's and V8's :lol: .
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
V8EK4us

Post by V8EK4us »

Trev wrote:Similar to what I did in the wagon :thumbsup: .
You will have to enter in the modified class now with all the red 6's and V8's :lol: .
I'd better get a 3hp Nitrous shot then!! :lol: :lol: