matty martins mild custom wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rosco
State: VIC

Post by rosco »

Hi Matty,
getting there - big stuff seems over - now for a "fitting out".......

Problems - roof trim - sorry, let you down here - don't know wagons but others will.

Window glass not winding fully up - as mentioned, may be that they have been interchanged - another good point for either tagging, lablelling or writing on stuff with texta when stripping it down......... as you get older (like me) you'll need to mark more and more of the things you start to strip - it sure helps - and take many digi-pix - be surprised at how you can - see stuff later that you don't notice any difference in when stripping......

Door rubbers......aaarrrgghhhhhh yes, been there - I found that using "Rubber Magic" helps them settle in - and using Loctite 424 adhesive (super glue) will hold them in place to settle over the months it takes....... my front l/hs passenger door took a real "biff" to get it to close....... for nearly 12 months - it's pretty good now, but if I leave it open overnight - it takes another "firm" close until it settles down again.
I have heard that Rares will fit them - and do a very good job - Bob Pyz will talk you through it, if he takes you as genuine and has the time.......... he has been very good to me over the years. I mention that I am a member of the Vic club and wish to write the material up - as I have done.......

Window 1/4 vents............ these are tricky little blighters......don't forget to fit the overhead drip plate before fitting it into the aperture - I did... and had to pull it all out again two weeks later when I realised........

As for paint - I think you now know I'm a believer in the POR system - it would be very expensive for just a 1/4 vent frame........ but permanent.
And yes, that little plate which protects the vertical intermediate bar should be fitted - to protect it from being scratched by the window lock arm.......
If you are going to ask about the division bar rubber - we've been down that track much earlier - can't remember where it is on the forum - but pretty sure I have it in a saved document somewhere - again Bob Pyz gave all the info to me on the land-line.......

Think thats all you mentioned, Matty - AustMod isn't going to be happy with me - those tails look great - but perhaps a little further down the track once you have it registered, insured and on the road without being subjected to further inspections................. just my thoughts.....

Keep her coming, Matty - hope to see you stroll in with a smile all over your face in Bendigo '09.....?

frats,
Rosco

ps - ask if you need more - very happy to help where I can.....

and when it comes to fitting that visor - get all the help you can - it's a death-trap for metal rusting and leaking - I would seal all fittings and fit neoprene gaskets......... purely by it's location and draw on the vehicle bodywork at speed, you need to give this some serious thought - not just screw it on and hope it doesn't leak........... get some advice here, Matty - I removed mine just after getting the car - it wasn't a roof drilled model but where the three self tappers were used to hold the assembly on behind the door rubbers - I found the dealer hadn't fitted any form of gasket and it had begun to eat at the A pillar..........bit of work to do before you get to fitting that part of the build.........

Love your work on the wheel and dash.............. it's all going to come together nicely - clean, neat and very practical....... well done - can see it already.
MINT62
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by MINT62 »

hey matty

getting there mate :wink:

re: exterior roof stainless trim, does look to be sitting up a bit high - its a fun job......not :x
i took the 1st shot at a similar angle as yours, im 6ft 1 so im looking down on it a bit
there should be a tab that sits under the outer trim, on the end of the inner trim
the highlighted area (on the outer trim) is where the tab sits under, the dot on its own - highlights a reflection :wink:
yours is either broken off, or bent
*to put the 2nd pic into perspective virtually a reverse angle of the 1st pic, but close up*
drivers side - looking towards the front of the car :wink:

so (a) check to see if the tab is present, and sitting under the outer trim - which holds it down

or (b) if the tab is broken off, you may want to buy a new inner section
or try to ever so slightly bend it (the end of the trim) so it sits down a bit nicer

so inner goes on 1st then the outer :wink:

hope this helps, good luck with it - the fun begins :P

cheers ray 8)
Last edited by MINT62 on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INVEST IN PRECIOUS METAL
Finny
State: QLD

Post by Finny »

Matty, coming along nicely. Mine is in bits so I can't check the trim at the top but in old photos it appears to sit under the other one. Doesn't stand out. Lower tailgate rubber is in the right place.
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
mattymartin

Post by mattymartin »

thanks guys,

RETRO, thanks for the tip on the inner side of the quarter window, will do. i check to see if the door han dle are on the correct side!!!

RATBOX, what do you mean "BEAT", there is NO WAY this moulding is getting beaten, what i just paid to get it all schmicko...

MOZZA, ahhhha, WINDOW WINDERS!!!! i never would have thought that this would have made any difference. i tell joe asap.

ROSCO, as usual thanks for the detailed reply, note taken re: labeling... if all else fails i'll give rares/ bob pyz a call... but a question with the rubber magic, how does it work is it a spray... does it matter if a bit of the spray gets on the paint... doest it wipe off clean... also the over head drip tray???? what is this, do all ek's have them... & this little plate which protects the vertical intermediate bar that retro & yourself mentioned, do you have a pics of what it is or looks like on

STINGRAY, thanks for the pics, (i love pics)... the pics & your info explains it very well, especially the second pic with high lighted area, thankyou...
also i hope the tab is not missing/broken after just getting them fixed & polished...
AHHH... look at you doors how well they sit... nice & in line!!!!

FINNY, thanks for the rubber info it just doesnt make sense to me that the bottom tailgate sits over the top for starters, also the rubber makes it look like it sticks out a fair bit but maybe i'll het that with the rubber magic as well...

guys let me just say, that i seriously dont know what i would do without you...

thanks again
matty martin
go the wagons....
mattymartin

Post by mattymartin »

ok guys, small update...

as per last problems....

rubbers are in & in well also doors are sitting well...

window are all working fine & going all the way up...

1/4 windows aren't in yet as the rubbers still haven't come...

stainless mouldings are sitting better now...

&

the stainless moulding on the side of the car is on & i'm very happy how it looks...

here are some pic's...

next obstical's are those 1/4 windows... & finishing of the front grill area!!!

i should also have chroming back in the next few weeks so watch this space...

matty martin
go the wagons....
southcoastkustom

Post by southcoastkustom »

Lookin good Matty!!

Keep it happenin mate. 8)
not too shiny thankyou.
oldnek

Post by oldnek »

Coming along quite nicely there Matty.

John
There's nothing as Sweet as a EK V8
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

Getting close now Matty :D
Shes lookin' cool 8)
EK JAY
State: NSW

Post by EK JAY »

:) she looks the goods matty :wink:
EK JAY SINCE 1990
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

schmicko Matty...its come a long way since last years AHD...
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
MINT62

Post by MINT62 »

lookin good matty 8)

go the wagons!
INVEST IN PRECIOUS METAL
NoMAD
State: WA

Post by NoMAD »

sweet matty sweet....

Cheers
NoMAD
bexterity

Post by bexterity »

looks awesome Matty.

cant wait to shoot it :wink:
Craig

Post by Craig »

Looks great Matty you must be :D what did you decide on engin wise (sorry short term memory shot)
Better dead than red

EK, the VN of the 60s
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Craig's question raises a spark in my mind: If it is to get a hot engine, will the SM mag people put it in? I think it is definitly worthy panel and paint wise 8)
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink: