VH24 Brake Booster

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

troy_fb
State: NOT ENTERED

VH24 Brake Booster

Post by troy_fb »

Can anyone give me advice on fitting a VH24 brake booster to my FB with std drums?
I'm assuming I need to mount it and connect the brake line to the end of the booster cylinder and the other side connection on the booster to the master cylinder.
And get some sort of fitting the connect the vacuum to the side of the inlet manifold box?
Do I need to bleed the booster and also then each of the wheel cylinders?
Does anyone have any photos of their setup?
stafkel

Post by stafkel »

Hi

Here are a few pics of my VH44 in the EK it may help you set up your booster
Sunny Tim's right bleed the whole system starting from the furtherest wheel LR,RR LF RF
check the condition of the fluid because if they have not been serviced/bled for a long time the fluid in the entire system should be bled out, don't forget to check the condition of your wheel cylinders they may need attention.
hope this helps

EKWagon

Post by EKWagon »

Hi Troy, I have NASCO fitting instructions for the VH24 if you want them PM me your email address
EKWagon
blue ute

Post by blue ute »

Jumping in on this thread.
Does anyone have an exploded view of the VH24, need to see if I have all the internals as mine was in bits when purchased.
Cheers
troy_fb

Post by troy_fb »

Thanks heaps all.
I'll go get some pipes bent up.
troy_fb

Post by troy_fb »

Hey Blue Ute,

Did you get any pointers to an exploded diagram of a pbr brake booster?

Can anyone tell me whether the breather/valve should be sucking air?
I have fitted mine but am not experiencing an improvement in braking power. If the breather is continually sucking air (and effecting how the engine runs) does this mean that vacuum is leaking past the diaphram when it souldn't? Or is a valve in the breather leaking?
I have little idea what goes on inside the booster.
Is the breather on the ongine manifold side of the diaphram or the opposite side?

Any assistance would be great, otherwise I will have to try reconnect brakes as standard.
troy_fb

Booster

Post by troy_fb »

Thanks for the pictures SunnyTim,

Yep, thats how I have connected mine up!
If you put your hand over the breather on yours is there suction?

I have bled the wheel cylinders but cannot for the life of me get the bleeder loose on top of the booster, and maybe there is air up in the top of the booster which is not helping the issue. I have progressed from spanner to vice grips, #@!@#$%.

Its the air sucking into the breather that concerns me most over whether the thing needs a new diaphram.
troy_fb

Post by troy_fb »

Yey,
Finally got the bleed'n bleeder off, and was able to bleed out the air.
Its now working much better, although the brakes are a bit tardy about always releasing properly.
After bleeding, sucking stopped. Lack of hydraulic fluid (air) must cause the diaphram to open too far, operating some sort of valved bypass.

I anyone every opens up one of those suckers it would be well work photographing it in exploded form for others in the future. I was unable to find an exploded view anywhere. I even rang PBR who said they don't have any parts or service documentation available anymore for the VH24.

Thanks to everyone.
basic.green

Post by basic.green »

Hi all just a question on bleeding the brakes do you do wheels then booster or booster then wheels thanks
building the dream Rick
troy_fb

Post by troy_fb »

I did booster first as I reasoned that the bleeder is at a high point from the inlet and outlet pipes and that air would be trapped there. It was also necessary for me to do it first to get the booster operating.
I checked it again after doing the wheels though.
MLC37
State: WA

VH 24

Post by MLC37 »

EKWagon wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 am Hi Troy, I have NASCO fitting instructions for the VH24 if you want them PM me your email address
EKWagon
Hi
Any chance I could buy or get a copy of the NASCO fitting instructions for the VH24 brake booster.
Thanks
Mark mark@taxonpoint.comn.au
Thanks
Blacky
State: WA

Re: VH 24

Post by Blacky »

MLC37 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:15 pm
EKWagon wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:36 am Hi Troy, I have NASCO fitting instructions for the VH24 if you want them PM me your email address
EKWagon
Hi
Any chance I could buy or get a copy of the NASCO fitting instructions for the VH24 brake booster.
Thanks
Mark mark@taxonpoint.comn.au
Thanks
Welcome to the forum MLC37 , Harv probably has a copy , or has written one .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: VH24 Brake Booster

Post by Harv »

I've got the EJ/EH fitting instructions (later model booster, different orientation) but not the FB/EK VH24 ones.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.