EK morphs into pillarless Coupe .

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harko
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: EK morphs into pillarless Coupe .

Post by Harko »

Hey jase did you mean make the c pillar thicker like this .

[

The roofline is very very close ,didn't realise how close untill fingers posted this
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

:) yeah something like that,i think it needs a bit more meat but hey wont be the first time im wrong
kmawic
Harko

Post by Harko »

Yeh totally agree ,,might see if I can do that
Harko

Post by Harko »

Might be doable with the trim and rubber cut and shut
kiid61

Post by kiid61 »

I want that color on something! That's things awesome
http://www.facebook.com/60minus
searsy

Post by searsy »

Mick Jagger wrote:searsy swallows... :lol:
the coupe needs the fb pillaR Stainless shit,edged forward a bit
and the door edges rounded
and a 4 inch section :D
get yourself into it
I love swollowing
Xxxx gold
Harko

Post by Harko »

If you can imagine the rear window stainless continuing around the edge of the template ,this is what Im thinking.

Ill make the template out of stainless and roll three swages like the original trim so it still keeps some of its heritage .the rear glass seems to flatten out slightlyand it streamlines the rear glass visually too so its all good , the rear window glass is still the only shape I despise about the car
Harko

Post by Harko »

Settled on the way to do it and the thickness unless anyone can talk me out of it :vecctor:

Also note the small return
Thommo

Post by Thommo »

I like it Harko 8)

The thing my eye would look at, is to make it proportional ( Distance from windscreen to side window glass ) with the A pillar.
A fat A pillar wouldn't look right with a skinney C pillar, or visa-a-versa.
The overall effect of the roof being supported evenly at all four corners seems to sound right to me.
It may look shit, but to me that sounds like it would look right :wtf: if you know what I mean.
Like you are doing, it would need to be mocked up and viewed at a distance
where you can walk around the car and make the final decission.

Awesome job Harko
It will be unequalled in custom coolness by any FB-EK when its done.

Cheers
Jeff
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

it all depends as the rear window is such a prick of a shape for doing chops i had toyed with the idea (if i did another) of widening the rear pillars to take a basically flat rear screen or not the wild curve they have now but wasn't sure of the look, but have recently seen a pic of a 55 chev with a chop and what i was thinking done seeing as they have a simular rear window and i liked it
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

yeah thats the go,dont $*#@ with the glass ,work around it
ive never chopped a car..looking at the ek,abusing it telling it, you will never be restored
i have $*#@ you up for eternity,lol VB pies footy holden cars a shrink and a $*#@ laugh..lawyer
kmawic
Harko

Post by Harko »

Ive worked with the glass from the start just to avoid making new glass , I have two backups up my sleve though , Ive seen glass being cut with a high pressure water jet but would have to look more into that to see if it can be done on toughened glass .
And also theres a german car "Opel" that has a nice shape rear windw that looks like its on a factory modified fb ek and it could well be- considering the link between opel and holden right through the ranges.
But in saying that ,I am happy with the look now ,I like how its visually flattened the rear screen because its the depth of it that bothered me , 55-57 chevies have a broader curve than fb eks to start with (would love to see a pic of that one Mick) .

Jase I like your approach :) ,the only thing that isnt modified is the rear glass although its been laid forward some ,so possibly ive been thinking the same thing "You will never be original , not even one part of you"

Thanks for your thoughts Thommo , I had never considered it from that angle before and I spent some time thinking and looking and trying a few diferent things .
On the 58 Chev which is a 2 door post ,it has a stainless trim that covers the door frame .
I might be able to use it or find something that works to put the front part of the window frame back on the door to support the glass or if I use a flipper window to support it . it will thicken the look of the A pillar and add some balance to the c pillar , sounds good to me 8)

Some things look awesome from the front 45 degree ,then I walk to the back and its nowhere near the mark , sometimes acheiving good balance is real tough but then time away and a rethink usually works out .

Notice in the last pic there is a hole in the quarter panel .... Ive moved the quarter forward an inch and up an inch to thicken up the overall look of the body.
The wheel and tyre combo is balanced to the body and wheel arch sizes ,Ive corrected the front arch and Im still cosidering how much to add to the length of the rear arch but since moving the rear quarter panel it just seems to fall into place .
Its hard to explain how Im studying the look and sometimes cant pull the balance in because im not sure where the inbalance lies ,it can be simple and im not seeing it from the right perspective or it can be a culmination of a few different things .
When you think the shite out of things you can wonder if your still on the mark or if your creating something ugly but you cant see it .
So i realy apreciate the input from the forum ,sometimes gives me the sheets waiting on or not receiving a reply but thats the nature of the beast hey :smile2: .
Thommo your point is right on the buzzer , didnt see it , hadnt considered it and thats what it was ,,cool
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

i'll try i think isaw it on facebook the car was flat black if any other facebookers saw it, that might help
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harko

Post by Harko »

Lock it in Eddie ,spent some time today nutting out the finer points of the build that all have a flow on effect with other jobs that need completing .
As you see it now is how it will be .
Its another milestone for me as all the undecided pieces need no more thought ,just labour.

Ill be running flipper windows , the FE and FC trim along the side ,small bonnet scoop etc
decided to use fading and ghost flames just real subtle.

Thommo

Post by Thommo »

That looks F :twisted: :twisted: k :twisted: n awesome harko, I love it :thumbsup:
I really like the way that FC door top trim give that mid 50's chev feel,
it give the illusion that the side panels dip a little.
I like the scoop, what is it austin or something?
Are you just going to cut across the bonnet and pump the panel up behind it?
I love the way you thinned out that fat uglyness under the front indacater (my most hated part)
I just love everything about it 8) 8) 8) except the wheels :sick:
May I suggest chrome reverse rims :eh:

Is it movable?
You gotta get outside for a view & pics from a distance.

Love ya work Harko :clap:

Cheers
Jeff