Timing Light ! Finding the White Mark !

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

smclaren
State: NOT ENTERED

Timing Light ! Finding the White Mark !

Post by smclaren »

Hi Guys

I cant find the white mark on the flywheel under the timing light ! What am i doing wrong here ?

My process ....
- Found the #1 firing position off the #6 rockers.
- Moved the flywheel slightly to the white timing mark in the peep hole.
- Installed the dizzy with the cap pointing to the mark on the dizzy body.
- Reassembled everything (new points, plugs, leads etc)
- Start motor ... light on the peep hole ... moving the dizzy around ... can't find the white mark ! Motor seems to be settling best around the UC stamp on the flywheel.

Motor starts, idles fine, runs ok ... tad underpowered in 2nd going up hill ... havent had it out on the highway yet !

Why cant I find that bloody white timing mark ? Dammit ... I used to know these things !!!!! "angryy:

Steve
Stygian
State: NSW

Re: Timing Light ! Finding the White Mark !

Post by Stygian »

Timing is likely way out. If it's idling fine, then simply undo the distributor locking plate bolt (I think its 1/2 or 9/16" AF) and turn the distributor body until you see the dot appear in the window. Turning anticlockwise is advance, clockwise is retarding. If this doesn't work, you might be in for a bit more fiddling.
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

I lined up the flywheel mark then put a whiteout dot on the harmonic balancer and block at the front where it was easier to see
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Gday Steve.
I’d recommend placing # 1 cylinder on to TDC.
I understand it may not be absolutely perfect but with patience you can look through the spark plug hole and visually see it reach top. The piston will have a slight stay or lull at the very top point.
Then get some sheet metal and bend up a pointer with holes so you can bolt it to the timing cover.
Then mark the Harmonic balancer to match the pointer.
Then you can use a timing light ;)

Drew
Drew
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You can use the dissy to get close. Remove cap and rotate until button points to no 1 lead position.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Sounds like you are doing the right things. It is easier to mark the harmonic balancer, but you can still do the same thing with the timing light on the flywheel. It's just the angle is a bit harder on your back.

Sounds like you have marked the flywheel, or cleaned it. If you can see the UC mark, and your timing ball is white (assume you put a dab of paint on it) then you are mostly there.

I assume the points gap is set correctly?

Sometimes the dizzy clamp runs out of travel (bottoms out on that 1/2" bolt) just when you want it to turn more. REMOVE (not loosen) the bolt holding the dizzy clamp to the block. 1/2" AF.

Now start the engine and see if you get enough turn to see the timing ball. If you can, then changes are you can no longer get that 1/2" AF bolt back into the block. Leave the dizzy where you want it, and shut the engine down. Loosen the bolt (with a flat bladed screwdriver, behind the dizzy) that holds the clamp to the dizzy body. Hold the dizzy body where it is, and rotate the clamp until you can get the bolt back into the block. Tighten the bolt, and tighten the clamp. Check timing again.

I fought a similar problem when I first got the FB. No matter how I tried, I could not get enough turn to get the timing ball to appear. Many hours with a timing light. I only had Dad's old Vane timing light. It is not powered by the battery, but instead uses the spark plug amperage to flash the xenon tube. The insulation had broken down on it years ago, and would zap me every ten minutes or so. The kids thought it was hilarious. None of them will use my bitey timing light.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.