Desert Glow paint colour

Includes sheet metal, rubbers, bumpers, badges and rust repairs.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Macca's EK
State: QLD

Desert Glow paint colour

Post by Macca's EK »

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum. We recently purchased a EK Sedan, my wife wants to paint it the same colour that her dad's FB was.

The closest match is Desert Glow. I went into a local paint store to have a sample mixed. The paint code listed for the colour does not show up in any of their books or computer system.

From the searching that I've done here on online it seems that it was a colour that Holden didn't record the formula.

So I'm wondering if anyone has that colour car and had it scanned and are willing to share the tinters used.

Thanks

Neil
In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Desert Glow paint colour

Post by In the Shed »

Hello Neil,

Can’t help you with the colour info but hopefully someone else on here can. Oh, and welcome. Be good to see a picture of your sedan too :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Welcome to the forum Macca , have a look here mate - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/192774166792
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Macca's EK

Post by Macca's EK »

Looks like I've had a win. Ive been able to get onto somebody that has found the formula for Desert Glow.

Just waiting now to see if the can find Clinker Grey so I can redo the dash.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Happy days….. :thumbsup:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Desert glow was an old nitro acid colour, so some of the tints may be unavailable in acrylic. It may possibly come out a bit different to expectation.

Clinker grey was produced in acrylic, and can be mixed up from the Dulon formula.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Macca's EK

Post by Macca's EK »

An update on the Desert Glow colour. I've been able to finally source a sample of the colour in Acrylic from a paint supplier in NSW.

It comes under Vintage Holden Colours on their system. Now that I have a physical sample hopefully I can get a colour match using PPG 2K.