Family Affair Ek Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Sneezy1211
State: QLD

Family Affair Ek Ute

Post by Sneezy1211 »

This old girl was bought new by my great Pop , handed down to my Pop, my old man , myself, and now with my youngest brother . I had to let it go to fund family court matters. Luckily, the little bro put his hand up.

So we are about to embark on a full restoration and bring back some glory to the old girl.

Currently runs a quite warm 186s , hr disc front end and a celica 5 speed . Will be sporting the same setup when finished with the addition of a set of triple webers.

We are hooking in over the Easter long weekend to get her stripped and ready for sand blasting. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-A546E using Tapatalk

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Family Affair Ek Ute

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Sneezy
Great to have some family history with your Ute. Look forward to some progress reports and pictures.

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Sneezy having built a Ute myself I love the back story and hope to see lots of photos along the way lots of good advice on here if you need it.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Welcome Sneezy. Ute, red motor, history

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

In the Shed wrote:Hi Sneezy
Great to have some family history with your Ute. Look forward to some progress reports and pictures.

Stephen
Thanks mate

Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

FireKraka wrote:Hi Sneezy having built a Ute myself I love the back story and hope to see lots of photos along the way lots of good advice on here if you need it.
Cheers mate , great forum have been poking around a while

Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Great to have a new ute resto happening. Extra exciting to have one with such a long family history. Extra, extra exciting to have one with a 186, HR front and 5 speed Celica box. These are the best ones🤣.
Welcome Sneezy, look forward to seeing the progress unfold.
Brett
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Well it's been a pretty busy start to the long weekend. I started on building the rotisserie Friday. I had all intentions of getting both ends finished, but I underestimated the time required. The rotating assembly was the tricky bit but it's underway .

The old man came up today today to lend a hand, but after a pub lunch, we didn't get started until about 2 in that arvo.

Still managed to get the box and engine out and a bits and pieces stripped of the car. Big day again tomorrow, and we should be quite a bit further along .
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

A couple of slow weekends but progress, should have it on the rotisserie next weekend ImageImageImageImage

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

nice work - did you make the rotisserie to a set of plans or make it up as you went ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Blacky wrote:nice work - did you make the rotisserie to a set of plans or make it up as you went ?
Hi Blacky , just went of a average cut list I found online . I think I'm going to ad some threaded rod and a few bits each end to help find the centre of gravity and also modify the way it locks into position.

Sneezy1211

Post by Sneezy1211 »

Stripping of the ute continued this weekend and went well, but I've come across something I'm confused on and hope the brains trust can assist with.

I don't ever remember it having a heater but today while stripping the cab it has a heater core ? It's always had the lever for air but not heat and I can't see on the core what the heat leaver would actually do ?? What am I missing ???ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That is the old “poor man’s heater”. I’ve got one in my uterus. They work just fine as long as you are travelling along and getting some air flow. It even has the ports for demister hose. Are there demister ducts fitted? These are a bit hard to come by.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Errol62 wrote:That is the old “poor man’s heater”. I’ve got one in my uterus. They work just fine as long as you are travelling along and getting some air flow. It even has the ports for demister hose. Are there demister ducts fitted? These are a bit hard to come by.

Ute, not uterus

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Sneezy, there is supposed to be a flap on the plastic bit that covers the core I assume this was so you could keep it shut and the hot air would go to the demister or open and the hot air came into the cab, yours is missing the flap, I have one and it looks like the heater lever would have had a cable to open and close it with the lever.

Hope that helps mate.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)