Chrome plater recommendation

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Chrome plater recommendation

Post by Harv »

I have been getting chrome work done by a gentleman in Bundarra, NSW. He has done parts for various cars of mine, and Dad's. When it came time to do the FED, there was no question - packed the parts up and sent them to him.

Parts came back a few months later, and I'm really happy with them. The only dramas were on the sump (one bubble) and the pitman arm (splines had been chromed). No issues, send them back and they will be redone. Packed them off, and waited a few months before calling and checking.

Sadly, the gentleman had passed away unexpectedly. Makes you stop and think, and be grateful for what you have. The parts were returned to me, and I now need to get them stripped and rechromed. No bodywork required on them. I don't need ultra show quality chrome, just nice stuff that will last and is hard as hell.

Any recommendations for work done recently by a plater please?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Re: Chrome plater recommendation

Post by Brett027 »

Electroplating Technology Queanbeyan. 026297 0535. Shane is a good fellow to deal with. I can help with logistics if need be.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Brett. Spoke to Shane this morning. He has at least an eight month backlog (not that I am in any hurry). He won't do the sump though :(.

He's recommended Astor Metal Finishes in Villawood... gave them a call, waiting on a quote.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I was talking to a couple of the QLD boys over the weekend, they were on their way down there to try and reclaim a big heap of stuff they took down to him late last year, apparently he passed just before Christmas and it has taken them this long to be able to arrange to get in there and find their gear :esad: :esad:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

You could also try Hamilton Chrome (quite close to Newcastle CBD).

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Ended up going with Astor Metal Finishes in Villawood. Dropped off the sump and steering arm. Now for the waity waity.

Cheers,
Harv
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Harv wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:03 am Ended up going with Astor Metal Finishes in Villawood. Dropped off the sump and steering arm. Now for the waity waity.

Cheers,
Harv
Also waiting for the quality report !

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Will let you know how I go. 6-8 week lead so won't see the bits until last week of April/1st week of May.

There were two options: show chrome and normal. I went for normal, as the FED will get used... hard.

Quote to electrochemically strip then replate the steering arm and sump was $577. Shouldn't be much finishing work as that was done by the last plater. A lot more expensive than the bloke I used to use, though probably close to market rate for chroming.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:18 pm A lot more expensive than the bloke I used to use, though probably close to market rate for chroming.

Cheers,
Harv
chrome is crazy compared to what it used to be, now i am going back 25 to 30 years but i was quoted $300 to do a front and rear bumper both not each) but this price was to weld the bumpers into one piece fill all holes chrome them and ship them from VIC back to me in NSW all i had to do was drop them off at the AHD at Clarendon or pay to ship them to VIC, you're lucky to get one section just chromed these days for $300 and it was decent chrome back then not the crap you get these days
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Mick wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:06 pm chrome is crazy compared to what it used to be, now i am going back 25 to 30 years but i was quoted $300 to do a front and rear bumper both not each) but this price was to weld the bumpers into one piece fill all holes chrome them and ship them from VIC back to me in NSW all i had to do was drop them off at the AHD at Clarendon or pay to ship them to VIC, you're lucky to get one section just chromed these days for $300 and it was decent chrome back then not the crap you get these days
Yep. The bloke I was using was good value. Everything you see in the photo below, plus a mangy sump, for $1500 inc. freight.

Parts for chroming.jpg
Parts for chroming.jpg (100.75 KiB) Viewed 149 times

Cheers,
Harv