253 info

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Lance Card
State: INT

253 info

Post by Lance Card »

Hi, please forgive my ignorance, im new to holden motors and in the UK info is difficult to find.
I've got a 1970 253 with a TH180 i want to put in my 53 chev 3100, the crank needs a re-grind and i was wondering what the top limit is as it is pretty bad on the mains. also, who are best for prices on bearings.
any help and advice would be much appreciated.

cheers,
Lance.
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Re: 253 info

Post by Dr Terry »

253 main bearing sets are easliy available in sizes ranging from STD to 40 thou under. The most common 'reco' grind seems to be 30 thou from what I have seen.

We sell them for $A75 + gst a set. 40 thou (if needed) are the same price but a bit more difficult to procure.

The auto trans you have will be a Holden Trimatic, a close relative of the GM TH180 or 3L30, but not exactly the same, many minor parts including the overhaul gasket kit are different.

Dr Terry
Harv

Post by Harv »

Aussie motors show up in the weirdest of places (I once followed a HD Holden through the backstreets of Nairobi), but the UK is unusual. Any idea how the engine got there?

The 253 and it's brother the 308 (sometimes derogatorily referred to as the "plastic" engine) share a lot of parts. Back in the 80's through to 2000 they were the bread-and-butter of local production. We kind of got distracted when it was replaced by the LS1 (VT Commodore Series 1) and the poor 253/308 got forgotten.

Those few decades though saw some serious development thrown into making the "plastic" perform... guys like Eddie Tassone were at the pointy end and 1500hp, but for a lot less money the engine will make some serious mumbo.
https://www.streetmachine.com.au/featur ... e-streeter

They stroke out readily to 355ci and to 396ci with some care... freight is terrible, but a stroker crank may be an option for you if yours is not recoverable.
https://comeracing.com/catalog/category/kit/stroker-kit

Later model heads (from the VN Commodore onwards) will also make a significant difference.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Dr Terry

Post by Dr Terry »

In a country where petrol is close to A$4.00/L I think strokers or 1,500 hp motors are furthest from their thoughts.

Dr Terry
Harv

Post by Harv »

I’m hoping he is a fan of either Santa Pod or Pendine Sands 😊

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I seem to recall back in the day SM also did an article on how to make a reliable-ish 400HP out of a 253 as the AMCA boys in speedway and also some circuit racers were racing a division that called for a 253 as a control engine ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:14 pm I seem to recall back in the day SM also did an article on how to make a reliable-ish 400HP out of a 253 as the AMCA boys in speedway and also some circuit racers were racing a division that called for a 253 as a control engine ?
https://www.streetmachine.com.au/featur ... mighty-253

Cheers,
Harv
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Interesting article Harv thanks for dragging it out.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)