Dr Blacky attempts to perform an addagruntome

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Dr Blacky attempts to perform an addagruntome

Post by Blacky »

Thrust bearing looks as good as new , also -0.010

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Big ends are all spot on - the ones we checked at least
Also -0.010

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then we started in on the donor motor - need a cam, lifters, oil pump pickup plus a few little bits. For anyone who was there, this is the motor I had in the back of the ute in Renmark - was a marinised grey , I have sold the marinising gear off it and being a boat motor the block is fairly corroded internally - has no engine number and appears to have never had one - is early 1962 casting
Got 9 of the lifters out , one is moving but won’t pull right out and the other 2 are seized - will flip it over , yank the cam out and knock them out from above then package them all up and send them to Clive for a birthday.

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

The grey engines that myself and a few mates would ring the necks out of always had issues with the front main bearings.

The last fling and break up I had with a grey was the front main moving house from the rest of the crank, it is a weak point and suffers from flex. That could explain the marks on the surface of the bearings.

Come to think of it I may still have an old grey at my parents house, I hope not though it will make me cry with the memories !

Regards
Greg
So many cars so little time!
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Blacky we see a lot of different things in main and bigends on the various diesels I work on all the way from 160mm bore 4 strokes to 980mm 2 strokes.
In yours it doesn’t look like it is lack of oil as there is no wiping and it doesn’t look like it has delaminated, there’s no marks on the journals so appears no metal has been pulled out.
We see marks like that when bearings have been installed and there has been some dirt on the surface, it’s been pressed into the softer bearing metal and the broken down and washed out with the oil leaving the indentation of the dirt.

Just my two cents worth.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Blacky I’m sure you know but when you measured the bores with the vernier it won’t be the true bore measurement because of the unworn top of the cylinder where the bumping clearance is, I just purchased a digital bore gauge from eBay $80 should be here in a week or so if you would like to borrow it just for piece of mind on bore size.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Cheers Neil, got an engine builder mate going to check it, balance it and do all the machine work, looking for a decent bump in compression so it all has to come apart for a haircut :twisted:

Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:41 pmlooking for a decent bump in compression
Methanol will support 16:1.

Just sayin.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Cheers Blacky knew you would have a handle on it, what’s the plan??? Let us in on the secret mate :think: :think: :shifty:
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:27 pm
Blacky wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:41 pmlooking for a decent bump in compression
Methanol will support 16:1.

Just sayin.... :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
Correct - however a 4 main bearing crank and associated componentry will be ejected out via the sump quite forcefully if such a feat were to be attempted 🤣🤣🤣

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

FireKraka wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:02 pm Cheers Blacky knew you would have a handle on it, what’s the plan??? Let us in on the secret mate :think: :think: :shifty:
Nothing stupid Neil , it needs to be reliable but I would like to try for 110-120 flywheel horsepower with a bit more comp, some head work and a refresh of the twin strommies

I have a set of triples at home but don’t want to removed the battery box or do any firewall mods.

Harv

Post by Harv »

... kinda like this :wtf:

Magic muffler Fiat.jpg
Magic muffler Fiat.jpg (164.53 KiB) Viewed 307 times

Makes oil changes easy though.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Only one more. Should squeeze in….

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I love that photo Harv, had it as my avatar on another forum for years 8) :thumbsup:

Clay, the idea has merit - may need to source one of them there manifolds :ebiggrin: I mean , if some is good - more must be better right ????? :lol: :lol:

In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Dr Blacky

What hp do you think the donk had before? Recall you had twin stromies and extractors, anything else?

Regards
Stephen

PS: Is this procedure covered under Medicare 🤔
A day in the shed beats a day at work!