TT Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Wrongway Roger
State: SA

TT Sedan

Post by Wrongway Roger »

New thread for the sedan that I'm back building.
It has been 10 years since I parked this up to build Ammo's ute.
I had it blasted and undered coated way back then I stored it under the back veranda. Lots of surface rust to remove
heading to the shed.JPG
heading to the shed.JPG (95.07 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
ready to go.JPG
ready to go.JPG (246.8 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Pulled the front clip off to give me more room and on inspection to correct some of the shady work done in haste. :oops:
front clip off again.JPG
front clip off again.JPG (270.52 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Using the nylon disc's and hand sanding before hitting it with an expoy. I think my fingers are a little shorter.

I have leant my lesson with these disc's and now wear my welder gloves. Light touch and no kit back yet.

Cheers,
Roger
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
60Special
State: WA

Re: TT Sedan

Post by 60Special »

There’s a hole in the right rear quarter.
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

and other mods to come :lol:
There is a right way and a wrong way and then there is my way which is usually the long way.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Wow, there must be a lot of homeless spiders at the Beale ranch now …….I like your body shell dolly 👍👍

So what are the plans with this one ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Is that hole where the exhaust is going to exit? I like it…..

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Hole is for fuel flap ex Telstar or Mazda 323, can't remember.
After much sanding this morning I bit the bullet, purchased 1K expoy and now I have a yellow car.
OMG, my back is killing me for the sanding and twisting and holding the bloody spray gun.
expoy.JPG
expoy.JPG (218.2 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
I used the mask with filters and my first beer tasted like something you would drink in Sydney. :lol:
Found a lot of dodgy welds that will need grinding out and re-welded.
I left the tunnel as is until I sort the motor and trans.

Rest day tomorrow.
Cheers,
Roger
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Lucky you had kids already. That Sydney beer will cause mutations you know....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:07 pm Lucky you had kids already. That Sydney beer will cause mutations you know....
Don't know about mutations, but Resch's sure does lead to a fondness for hi-zoot grey motors :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

MMMMM - Reschs , mothers milk :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

I played with which wheels to use, 17" or 15".
I do have a set of 16" but not so keen on the design now.
I think ride height is spot on and 17" fills the opening perfectly.
The 235 tyre is a snug fit.
ride height.JPG
ride height.JPG (202.03 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
I will need to do a little on the inner out side guard as I have moved the removed the filler near the chassis rail when I started this project.
Once I have this sorted then I will measure to cut the diff to size.
I purchased a VS Commodore limited slip diff that such handle the power.

Cheers,
Roger
Harv

Post by Harv »

What motor are you thinking for this one?

The VS cone LSDs are not bad, but need tightening up if they are still original. They will handle a V8 if driven reasonably, though they shear splines at less than 200kW if thrashed (don't ask me how I know :oops: ).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Heaven forbid that i would ever find the limits of destruction of driveline parts - but the BW78 diffs are a bit fragile - apparently. :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
You can buy a torque lock style centre for them these days - had to replace the diff in the VS just last week .......

https://www.tuffcarparts.com.au/vn-vp-v ... e-lock-lsd

Harv

Post by Harv »

Looks like a knock-off the the Eaton Trutrac.

I've got BW78's in the wagon, Number One Son's VL and the Last Daughter's VL. The wagon was a 28 spline, and the VLs were 25 spline. The wagon was initially a VN-VS cone LSD, and the VLs an open centre.

The wagon runs 300kW. Snapped the splines at Eastern Creek. Number One Son was driving so gets the blame, but truth be known it could well have been the floggings I had been given it. It got a knock-off TruTrac, 31 spline Mark Williams axles and a TA Performance cap girdle. Haven't been able to kill it since.

The son's VL runs 200kW. Blew the spider gears out of it. It got a Harrop Trutrac, locally made 31 splines and a cap girdle. Snapped the splines on two axles in two separate incidents. Not happy. Replaced them with Mark Williams axles and haven't been able to kill it since.

The daughter's VL hasn't done many miles. Someone has put Calais disks on the rear. Suspect that when they did so they did not pull axles and replace the drum oil seals with the disk seals as it leaks like the Exxon Valdez. There is a Harrop TruTrac and cap girdle on the shelf, just waiting for the Williams axles to arrive. Might be the first time I have upgraded a diff BEFORE blowing the guts out of it :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Yeah it’s a Chinese knock off - for around $600 you can’t expect too much I guess, we tried 3or 4 stock diffs and they were all trashed so the decision kind of made itself….. ute is sold now to make room for the FJ so no idea how long it will last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrongway Roger

Post by Wrongway Roger »

Picked up the Y frame this morning from the blaster
blasted.JPG
blasted.JPG (281.81 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Set it up and a quick spray of expoy
epoxy.JPG
epoxy.JPG (353.51 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Also gave the front doors a rub to remove the surface rust and hit it them with expoy
front doors epoxy.JPG
front doors epoxy.JPG (199.41 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Marked out the tunnel and cut out the old modded one.
tunnel cut.JPG
tunnel cut.JPG (224.29 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Dropped the CRS tunnel in place, a little trimming and ready to weld in.
test fitting.JPG
test fitting.JPG (195.01 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Chhers,
Roger