Radio Hidden - How to

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Shane'o
State: QLD

Radio Hidden - How to

Post by Shane'o »

Hi,
I am hoping somebody has already done this. I have an old radio already fitted into the dash. Does not work very well but I want to leave it in the hole in the dash where it is. I am looking to upgrade the 1 x speaker in the dash with a better one and install some type of "hidden" wired or Bluetooth system to play AM/FM/DAB and stream music from my phone. I vaguely remember seeing, on this forum I think, photos of somebody retro fitting a Bluetooth speaker in the dash with some type of sender/controller being mounted in the glovebox?
Does anybody have any ideas on what can be done or the name of a product that I could buy? Or would this type of thing also be made of Unobtanium?
cheers,
Shane'o
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Radio Hidden - How to

Post by Harv »

Give Phil a call:
http://my409.com.au/holden-radios-sprin ... les/fb-ek/

I run one of his units in Grace's ute, my wagon, and had one in the HR wagon. It's a bolt-in replacement to the factory dash holes. He has a couple of models with varying degrees of connectivity. Add one of his dual-cone 6" speakers under the factory radio grille and you are done.

Sell the original radio to one of the restorers.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

It was me,

viewtopic.php?t=882&start=900

The company is called Gravelrash, great blue tooth unit and is heaps better than 1 speaker.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Sell the original radio to one of the restorers.

Cheers,
Harv
[/quote]

Would that be you Harv???? :lol:
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

I used a very similar speaker that I got from eBay, I was in a Rare Spares suppliers the other day and I thought I saw a dash head unit that is very small depth wise but looks like an old radio from the front and fits into the original position.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Harv

Post by Harv »

In the Shed wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:04 pm Sell the original radio to one of the restorers.

Cheers,
Harv

Would that be you Harv???? :lol:
Nah, I'm more an enthusiast butcherer :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Thanks, everyone. Great ideas.
Yes Greg, that's the setup I remember. (It takes me a bit longer these days to retrieve some memory's from the rear filing cabinet at the back of my brain). I am liking the dual cone setup!!! (Thanks for replying. The photos are great).
cheers,
Shane'o
Shane'o

Post by Shane'o »

Just placed an order with "Gravelrash" in QLD. So we will see how we go. Fingers crossed should turn up next week.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
cheers,
Shane'o