EK / HR front end crush tubes.

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

oz_ek
State: VIC

EK / HR front end crush tubes.

Post by oz_ek »

Gents,
The crush tubes / spacer tubes that the front end to sub frame bolts go through, are the EK and HR tubes the same length ?
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: EK / HR front end crush tubes.

Post by ardiesse »

No, they're not. I measured examples of each in response to the same question on another thread, but do you think I can recall which one?

Yes. "Project 2".

"HR front crossmember bolt: 1/2" UNF x 5-1/4" (shaft length 5", with 1-1/4" of thread)
HR front crossmember spacer tube: 1/2" ID, 0.630" OD (close enough to 5/8"), 2-5/8" long
HR front crossmember bolt upper washer: 17/32" (0.530") ID, 1.712" OD, 1/8" thick."

Didn't measure the EK spacer tubes. But Rare Spares has an HR-front-crossmember-into-FE-EK rubber kit. Don't know about spacer tubes though.

Rob
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

ardiesse wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:44 pm No, they're not. I measured examples of each in response to the same question on another thread, but do you think I can recall which one?

Yes. "Project 2".

"HR front crossmember bolt: 1/2" UNF x 5-1/4" (shaft length 5", with 1-1/4" of thread)
HR front crossmember spacer tube: 1/2" ID, 0.630" OD (close enough to 5/8"), 2-5/8" long
HR front crossmember bolt upper washer: 17/32" (0.530") ID, 1.712" OD, 1/8" thick."

Didn't measure the EK spacer tubes. But Rare Spares has an HR-front-crossmember-into-FE-EK rubber kit. Don't know about spacer tubes though.

Rob
Thanks for the reply Rob......So the HR tubes are around 66mm in length and it would appear the EK is around 94mm?
Mick

Post by Mick »

i believe the tubes come in different lengths also which are identified by a colour paint dobs something to do with alignment though i've mixed matched from different cars the same car never putting back where they originally came from with no ill effects
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Mick wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:21 pm i believe the tubes come in different lengths also which are identified by a colour paint dobs something to do with alignment though i've mixed matched from different cars the same car never putting back where they originally came from with no ill effects
Colour coded?....The plot thickens!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Base caster setting adjustment. Longer ones at the back gives more caster.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:54 pm Base caster setting adjustment. Longer ones at the back gives more caster.

So these tubes act as shims?
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

My understanding is that they contact the cup washer above and flat rectangular washer at the bottom, thereby limiting compression of the rubber component to varying degrees. The front outrigger appears to have some range in vertical location which would enable tilting of the crossmember. Rob Shaw will have more to contribute no doubt.

EK van on rotisserie
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

I should have taken more notice when I pulled it apart!......26 years ago!
P1070877.JPG
P1070877.JPG (143.26 KiB) Viewed 660 times
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

HR front end....
HR front end.jpg
HR front end.jpg (101.34 KiB) Viewed 657 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Pretty much I've just taken out the short shim tube, along with the bottom rubbers, when fitting the HR crossmember. The long bolts get very close to the end of their threads. I recall maybe cutting them another few turns or you can get shorter bolts or add spacer washers of course.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:19 am Pretty much I've just taken out the short shim tube, along with the bottom rubbers, when fitting the HR crossmember. The long bolts get very close to the end of their threads. I recall maybe cutting them another few turns or you can get shorter bolts or add spacer washers of course.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input Clay, any idea if the HR bolts are shorter?
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I can only speculate that they are Phil.

EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

The HR crossmember bolts are shorter than the EK ones. Can measure, if needed.

The long spacer for EKs comes in two lengths, with the longer one installed at the rear. Can measure, if needed.

When I did a front disc conversion on my EK, I used HR bolts, spacers, washers and rubbers. It might be possible to substitute the EK top rubber and top mounting retainer for the HR top rubber and washer, but you'd still need to use HR bolts, spacers and lower rubbers. (And, of course, you still need the EK outrigger rubber.)

Rob
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Rares sell a kit to put a HR front end into an FB/EK with the correct mix of rubbers required.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.