Long shot - can anyone flare 3/4" pipe?

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Long shot - can anyone flare 3/4" pipe?

Post by Harv »

Still piecing together the parts for the meth monster project. All going well, it gets the genuine Repco head and the FED gets the reproduction one. FED will run closed cooling (water in the block, radiator cap to relieve excess pressure). The meth monster will be registered (just), so needs a bit more of a cooling system.

The Repco head has two holes tapped in it midships, kinda like a temperature sender and heater hose tapping on a factory head. Rear one is 3/8" NPT, front one is 1/2" NPT. Aiming to use these as the water return lines to the radiator, with the large front water hole in the head (where a thermostat housing normally goes) blanked off. This is how the head was plumbed when it was running in a speedcar.

I'm aiming to run some piping from the two NPT holes back to the radiator. Not a fan of rubber hose, and hoping not to use copper pipe (it's the fallback plan). Hoping instead to run it in ally pipe with AN fittings. The two lines need to be as big as practicable, and I'd like to run 3/4" tube (mainly as I can get some good AN swivel fittings from Proflow to go neatly in those NPT holes).

This is where I came unglued. My flaring tool can flare 1/2" pipe (-8AN) but I do not have dies to flare 3/4" pipe (-12AN). Checked with the supplier (MasterCool) and they do not make dies that big. I can buy a separate tool to flare large pipe, but it is pricey (probably at the $200 mark).

I know it's a long shot, but can anyone here flare 3/4" pipe (-12AN) to an AN/JIC 37-degree angle? I'm guessing maybe a commercial fridgie might be able to, but the only one I know has long since been out of the game.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK283

Re: Long shot - can anyone flare 3/4" pipe?

Post by EK283 »

Harv,

I dont have anything that big sorry. Just thinking would your chassis builder have access to one ?

Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Harv
Yep, I can flare up to 3/4” in copper, aluminium or brass.

Regards
Stephen
Attachments
Imperial Eastman Flaring kit (USA)
Imperial Eastman Flaring kit (USA)
7B6C6E0C-1397-4F80-A93F-CDDC2AFCA3E9.jpeg (642.67 KiB) Viewed 370 times
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

I think the Eastman tool does 45-degree SAE flares... does your kit do 37-degree AN flares?

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Yes 45 deg flare Harv. Perhaps the flare cone could be changed to do the 37 deg however I only have the one for 45 deg.
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks mate - appreciate you looking. I'll see if I can hunt down someone with a 37 degree set.

Cheers,
Harv