Engine Electricals'

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mr48215
State: VIC

Engine Electricals'

Post by mr48215 »

Hi, I am doing research into the Grey motors.

In the FB,s Holden fitted both Bosch and Lucas Gens and Starter Motors.

My question is did these Lucas and Bosch Gens and Starters get installed as matched pairs, like a Lucas Gen and Starter together on a new car or were they intermixed so you could have one a Lucas and the other Bosch. The Regulator had to match the Gens brand type to work correctly.

Thanks
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Engine Electricals'

Post by Blacky »

'You have to use a Bosch with a Bosch and a Lucas with a Lucas , they do not interchange
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That isn't what the question is. We're starter and generator factory fitted same brand, or did cars potentially come with one brand of starter and the other generator/regulator set?

I would speculate that this could happen but not common. Rob should chime in eventually.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

My bad, thought we were talking about generators and regulators not generators and starter motors.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Post by ardiesse »

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of "grey" Lucas starter motors I've seen. FB/EKs were about evenly split between Bosch and Lucas generating systems, but the overwhelming majority had Bosch starters. The assembly plants used whatever they had on hand, I figure.

Except: six-volt Delco and Bosch. FXs had Delco everything, and then changed over to Bosch everything, including going from a black-taped wiring harness to an orange-taped wiring harness.

Another exception: the family HR, which had Lucas electricals and AC instruments, and is so far the only one I know like that. Every other HR I've seen was Bosch/VDO.

Rob
Dr Terry
State: NSW

Post by Dr Terry »

ardiesse wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:36 pm Another exception: the family HR, which had Lucas electricals and AC instruments, and is so far the only one I know like that. Every other HR I've seen was Bosch/VDO.
I've had many HRs in with Lucas distributors, probably more than any other Red motor models series.

Dr Terry