Break-down kit for long Nationals drives

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Re: Break-down kit for long Nationals drives

Post by Brett027 »

Well, I can run a dead battery on a live generator😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

SunnyTim wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:25 am I can run a battery all day on a dead generator. All you guys that modify to alternators......well

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
I had the generator on my ute give up the ghost about 2 hours into a trip along the great ocean road - drove all the way to Roger and Leslies in Mt
Gambier to pick up a replacement and installed it when we stopped for the night in Kingston , a day and a half after it died
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Never yet killed one…
Genny or alternator.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Getting a little serious here though... a generator at 20 amps max will take all day to recharge a flat battery, while even a miserable little 55amp alternator will do it in a few hours. Both, when not charging, will not stop you driving your FB/EK unless you have a fancy computer set up. I know which system I would rather have on a cold wet night with the headlights, heater and wipers all going Tim.😁 It's the one update that is an absolute must in my view, and so simple to do with a self regulated alternator.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:57 pm Never yet killed one…
Genny or alternator.
I disabled one, then watched the NRMA kill it by fiddling with the regulator contacts (holding them closed) until the magic smoke came out of the gennie :roll:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

An old furphy I think Tim. As long as the exciter field is powered ( ignition light comes on) an alternator will give it's all. An exception to that is where the battery is so damaged that it doesn't create a circuit from one terminal to the other, in which case the alternator would do no more than a generator could - which would be nothing. So, in my view a flat battery in otherwise good condition will recharge way quicker with an alternator. Another exception might be a gel or other type of battery that requires a trickle charge from flat or when trying to stir up a sulphated lead acid battery, but a car trip wont do the trick for those circumstances either way. While on the soap box electrical, the other conversion which is 100% a must is chucking away those silly old original headlights. I am now hiding behind my dogs taking cover.....
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I love my bosch lenses. Good enough for me.....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Only if you have H4 or better bulbs I bet.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

45w incandescent. The H4 globes have a different geometry which buggers up the beam pattern, so you can't achieve low beam set up.

You can get halogen globes to suit but haven't bothered.

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

A pair of glow worms would do more😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Well it's only an FB ffs

EK van on rotisserie
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:05 am I have a new-found respect for modern batteries. When I first saw those little jump-start packs, I thought "pffft! no chance that something the size of a cigarette packet will turn over an engine". I was wrong... they have an incredible amount of grunt for something you can charge with an USB cable.

Cheers,
Harv
yeah i had a commodore that would just flatten batteries if the car sat for 3 or 4 days so i bought one of those little jump pack that also will charge your phone and other electrical items, it would start the car from a dead flat battery like it had a brand new battery in it

and the alternator in the car would recharge that completely dead battery in a trip around the block, so YES an alternator WILL recharge a dead flat battery
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter