Air con compressor on red 6

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Brett027
State: NSW

Air con compressor on red 6

Post by Brett027 »

Has anyone fitted aircon to an EK with a red 6 engine? Thinking of fitting a heat/cool/demister system and selling my warmaride to pay for it😁.
I haven't seen a compressor fitted and am thinking it might be a tight fit on altenator side.
All ideas welcome.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Air con compressor on red 6

Post by Errol62 »

I've seen them mounted top driver side Brett. VB -VK ones are not scarce. I'm away for work now hut can photograph the setup I'm thinking of using on the van from the VK injected motor I have.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Some of the later blue/black heads had bosses cast onto the drivers side , if you found one of them it would be easy, I have also seen and may actually have, a factory bracket that mounts the alternator and air conditioner compressor on the passenger side down low
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clay- photos always helpful.

Yes Blacky I put one on my GTR 202 back in the 70s using the alternator bracket set-up, but (without trying as yet) I keep looking at how close the sub frame rail is and thinking this is going to be trouble. Hopefully not, as this is the easy route if it fits.

My red cylinder head is all hotted up so too late to change it for another.

This is what I am contemplating:

https://autoaer.com.au/collections/air- ... cool-kit-9
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

What are you using as a controller and vents? The kit seems to have everything except that - or did I just skim read too quick! One of the things I really don't like of the Vintage Air set up is the controller (looks like it came out of a 70's holden) and the logo (art deco looks wrong on a 60's car). The rectangular vents look out of place too, so round ones would be my choice.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

If I have got this right, the controllers are those two seperate bits with the wires. I could mount them anywhere there is room for them. I haven't got the kit yet, just planning.
I think the plan is to put the box somewhere hidden and run hoses to demister and where you want heat and cold air. In that respect I think space is going to be a problem under the dash. It might be I have to go with the old Mk4 type under dash setup.
Attachments
1000-KIT_4_-_HOT_ROD_CONCEALED_AIR_CONDITIONING_HEAT_AND_COOL_-KIT_4__rev1_CR_720x.jpg
1000-KIT_4_-_HOT_ROD_CONCEALED_AIR_CONDITIONING_HEAT_AND_COOL_-KIT_4__rev1_CR_720x.jpg (33.79 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Yes it pays to click on the itty bitty pictures below in the main link you posted.
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.22.41 pm.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 2.22.41 pm.png (519.87 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Not attractive - but small enough to be tucked away. Maybe in the ashtray.

Sitting on the fence a bit with the AC. Can't live without it on the daily driver, could care less in the Karmann which has none - just dress for the conditions! But the Holden does get toasty warm on a summers day.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

There’s a bloke on our club Facebook page wants to swap FB/EK bits for this bracket??? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Does that fit a Sandon type compressor ? I'm going to run into problems cause there is a carburettor right where that alternator sits. It's going to have to be on the drivers side.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Dont know , no doubt there would be a scroll type that would replace the earlier type compressors that could be retrofitted , but if it needs to be on the drivers side its no good to you anyway .........

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Brett;
Have you thought of going electric compressor, I have been looking at them the last day or so, they are quite small and can go in the tray maybe!!! :idea:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
briby
State: VIC

Post by briby »

Update photos9.jpg
Update photos9.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 853 times
Hi Brett, this is mine tucked away in the corner of the boot, keeps mine cool, small enough to mount nearly anywhere. A bit Xy these days but keeps the engine bay a bit tidier.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

An electric compressor certainly worthy of consideration. You will need a decent alternator to handle the current draw. Don’t think the 20A generator on the old grey will cut it 🙁
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
mph

Post by mph »

I was told the HQ bracket is too wide for the fb chassis. This bracket is from madd air in qld who makes the brackets. He also has a ek. I had belt slip though and ended up putting in a extra idle pulley from a hilux but it runs on the back side of the v belt. Not sure if they are ment to bend backwards. Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clint, those photos answer lots of questions.

I am going for the extra bolt on front pulley just for the compressor so will need to be able to adjust swing to tighten the compressor belt. I think I'll have a crack at making the bracket and then buy one😀.
Best bit is that I can see that it all fits in there. My battery box is gone already.

Back in the day I bought an alt/comp. bracket to go on LJ GTR 202, so got a rough idea what to aim for.

Much appreciated.
Sucker for a rusty bomb