Kingpin front end upper wishbones

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Kingpin front end upper wishbones

Post by Blacky »

............. are they the same left to right ?

Normally I just remove a kingpin front end, knife the outrigger off and toss the rest in the scrap bin - but the EK wagon that I foolishly bought drives horribly , everything is new but its as twitchy as at highway speed - was wondering if old mate has put it together wrong ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: Kingpin front end upper wishbones

Post by ardiesse »

Blacky,

Yes. The upper control arms are symmetrical.

Rob

PS - Have you checked the toe-in? Toe-out makes for twitchiness.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Cheers Rob , yes set the toe in as per the specs in the manual. Got it booked in for an alignment at about the only joint in Perth who knows how to do these things these days - as much as i hate wasting money on an EK I think I will let him sort it out.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Twitchy,

To much tow out or not enough castor !

Greg
So many cars so little time!
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Could the steering knuckle supports (aka uprights) be installed on the wrong sides, so you have negative caster instead of positive?

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

ardiesse wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:42 pm Could the steering knuckle supports (aka uprights) be installed on the wrong sides, so you have negative caster instead of positive?

Rob
I have checked them against a front end under one of the wrecks in EKmart and they appear to be correct.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

The upright is on the wrong side (cotter pin nut facing forward). The lower pivot pin is installed backwards. But that won't make any difference. And also, the eccentric nut at the top of the upright is in backwards. The hexagon head is supposed to face forwards. The upright on the wrong side is preventing you from getting enough positive caster.

Rob
Last edited by ardiesse on Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

sweet - thanks mate - will swap them around and see how it goes then - i was only looking at the stubs and king pins area not the entire picture :roll: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Nice one Blacky, I have not got around to installing my king pins as yet and I had questions about the correct orientation of how it all goes together.

Looks like grease nipples and hex heads to the front.

Other wise you could look at what lower spacers you have on the main subframe bolts, they could be installed wrong.

I’m sure the front end would have been removed at some point in its life so getting the spacers in wrong orientation is a possibility.

Also the steering box could be flexing on its mounts, a bracket would be of big benefit too along with checking all the adjustments on the steering box.

I’m sure you are all over it but the linkages could be gummed up, so a dismantle, clean, new moly grease and adjust the tie rods up to spec would be a good idea.
Drew
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Drew,

For the lower outer pivot, the bushing screws into the upright from the front, and the pivot bolt goes in from the front.

For the upper outer pivot, the eccentric nut goes into the upright from the front, but the pivot bolt goes in from the rear.

Rob
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

ardiesse wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:48 pm Drew,

For the lower outer pivot, the bushing screws into the upright from the front, and the pivot bolt goes in from the front.

For the upper outer pivot, the eccentric nut goes into the upright from the front, but the pivot bolt goes in from the rear.

Rob
Thanks Rob, I’ll be getting onto this job shortly.
I’m in the middle of painting a house at the moment 🤮
Drew
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Problem Image

Sorted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Blacky,

Something still doesn't look right with the angles. I've just checked "Found Object's" front suspension:

Your uprights are on the wrong sides. The cotter pin nut (machined face of the upright) should face the rear of the vehicle. This explains why the eccentrics were facing the wrong way.

But the stub axles are on the correct sides of the vehicle. It just means a lot more disassembly to get it right, because you have to swap the uprights over, while keeping the king pins and stub axles on the same sides.

Should have picked this up when you posted the photo of the front view.

Rob
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

crap.

Going to site tomorrow , will have to sort when
i get back - bloody EK's, this would never happen on an FB :lol: :lol: :lol: