Gentlemen Start MY Engine

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Gentlemen Start MY Engine

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Hi
I am going to start my engine that hasn't been started in a few year .What do I have to do for the first start after so long :dohh: I need your help and don't anyone tell me to turn the key I know that part
Last edited by BILLY BLACKARROW on Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
oz_ek
State: VIC

Re: Gentlemen Start MY Engine

Post by oz_ek »

Get the oil pressure up before firing it. :thumbsup:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You could pull the plugs and squirt some oil in. At least isolate the coil and crank over until pressure comes up on gauge if you have one. That should help top up the carb float bowl as well.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

as per above - but I'd turn it by hand first and make sure the valves do what they're supposed to - fill the carb bowls manually or give it a wiff of ether

syb.jpg
syb.jpg (32.74 KiB) Viewed 701 times
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

Once you have it running, keep an eye on the temp just in case the thermostat is stuck shut.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

is it a grey motor we are talking about here ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bow-tie I’m guessing

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
BILLY BLACKARROW

10 points Clay :yeahhh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Turn it over by hand Bill, this makes sure there are no stuck valves etc.

Once that's done crank it till you get oil pressure and fuel like the previous posts have indicated.

If its got a new cam rev it to 2000rpm for 20 minutes or so to bed the lifters and lobes in.

Once all that's done it just a matter of getting it on the road for a drive !!!!!

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

You can yank the dizzy and use a priming tool to get oil pressure without turning the motor over on a Chev, I made one out of an old distributor but you can buy them ready to go as well. How long ha sit sat for ? i assume its been in a shed and buttoned up while in storage ?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17191814798 ... qREALw_wcB

as the others have said, rocker covers off, plugs out , squirt a bit of oil down each spark plug hole , make sure it turns over by hand and all the valves are moving , prime it up , rocker covers, plugs and distributor back in and kick her in the guts 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Does it run Billy ???

Greg
So many cars so little time!
BILLY BLACKARROW

Haven't tried yet waiting on my son to come home from holidays .Will let you know how it go's it's going to be loud straight out the extractors :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
Harv

Post by Harv »

Provided your neighbours are tolerant of the noise, fire it up at night. The sound-and-light show is something your son won't forget :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I am not a fan of starting motors for the first time without mufflers, - it's nice to be able to listen to the motor in case of any weird noises ...

BILLY BLACKARROW

Errol62 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:23 pm You could pull the plugs and squirt some oil in. At least isolate the coil and crank over until pressure comes up on gauge if you have one.
That should help top up the carb float bowl as well.

How much oil do I put in each cylinder?? thinking just a squirt from oil can aimed at the top edge of the cylinders so it runs down around the rings YES / NO
BILLY BLACKARROW