Lights

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: Lights

Post by Harv »

Assuming the autosparky wired it correctly, a good first check is to put a voltmeter over the battery. Start the car, and have a helper run it over the rev range. You should be seeing 13.7-14.1V (Bosch gennie) or 13.4-14.4V (Prince of Darkness gennie). If you are getting 15 or more volts, then the regulator is not regulatoring very well.

If all is good, check the wiring connectors for slop or rust/paint. Intermittent connection can make the lights run on in-rush current longer than they should, get hot and blow out.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Harv wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:18 pm a good first check is to put a voltmeter over the battery. Start the car, and have a helper run it over the rev range. You should be seeing 13.7-14.1V (Bosch gennie) or 13.4-14.4V (Prince of Darkness gennie). If you are getting 15 or more volts, then the regulator is not regulatoring very well.

Harv
That cant be the problem as the engine hasn't been stated for some time. That will lead me to another question for another topic . I am thinking that there just sit lights or dirty connections or as 62ekute has said
62ekute wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:26 pm check you are wired up correctly for headlight type
headlight wiring.jpg
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

They are 12volt aren't they? There is no way on earth that a standard 12 volt battery on its own will break the filament out of a 12 volt light no matter how it's wired unless something high amps is trying to use the filaments as its circuit and they are acting as a fuse. It's a pretty unlikely scenario however, because they would act as resisters and it could only happen if the filaments were not earthed at one end. Need to determine if connections on bulb/beam are breaking down or filament is breaking. Make sure you tell us the outcome please😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I am also having trouble with the dipper switch do you think they may be connected some times it works other times it doesn't getting new switch tomorrow .
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I think that was one of the things Harv raised as a possibility. I'm not clever enough to know if an arcing contact would produce conditions to harm a bulb, but can't see how it would change E=IxR 😁
Sucker for a rusty bomb