EJ gearbox overhaul

Includes clutch, transmission, propeller shaft,
universal joints, differential and rear axle.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

ardiesse
State: NSW

Re: EJ gearbox overhaul

Post by ardiesse »

Vince,

You're right. The yoke on the left is the later part, but still for EJ. Better design, as the slideway on the yoke is longer, but it still shows wear in the groove. Side cover: gratis. But it may be the early, early type.

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Thanks Rob, really appreciate that. I really feel I have the answer here to the gear jump out, wouldn't be surprised if one on the car has same issue. Post to Vincent Richardson, 1 Edna Drive, Tathra NSW 2550 please.

I owe you one mate 😊
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

ardiesse wrote:Vince,

There's your problem there . . .

Your "other yoke" looks like the groove is worn out too.

Fractions of an inch: The detent ball in my 7431970 kit is 11/32" diameter. Your yokes take a 9/32" ball, which is less than 5/16". Drilling the bore out to take the bigger spring is a no-go.

You need a master parts catalog.

Clay, if you're watching this thread, can you post up some part numbers: EJ-early EH and late EH-HK shifter yokes, springs, balls and shift shafts. I'm beginning to think that the later parts are not interchangeable with the early parts.

Rob
How’s this for a start?Image

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Thanks Clay.

So there were three generations of "red" crashboxes: EJ-early EH (ribbed bellhousing), late EH-late HD (smooth bellhousing) and late HD-HK.

You are permitted some latitude with the 2nd-3rd shifter yoke. You may fit the "HR" 11/32"-detent-bore 2nd-3rd shifter yoke to an early gearbox, as long as you use the 11/32" ball and 5/16" spring.

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Can't see the number of the yoke I have, but could you assume from how high the number is that it would be around HD perhaps, but probably fits EJ onwards still?

If it was later than HD, or even late HD, it would have a larger bore.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Pure guesswork here - the early EJ yoke would have a 741 prefix. The later EJ yoke would have a 742 prefix. The HR yoke is 7430721, but may not bear the part number.

Rob
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

More looking through the spare parts department - the EJ side cover I have is definitely the "early early" type, with the short slideway on the 2nd-3rd shift yoke. But the groove is hardly worn. And I found an HR side cover, but the groove in the 2nd-3rd yoke is worn.

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

I really appreciate all the time you have put in with the advice throughout this project Rob. I feel I have learnt a lot through this.

I am starting to think there aren't a lot of boxes left without worn 2nd and 3rd speed yokes, and thinking about it once they start to wear, the movement and vibration would really accelerate the wear. You sort of wonder whether it is then causing wear in other parts with the 3rd not fully engaged.

I suppose if you were pushed and couldn't find a good 2nd hand replacement, you would have to put some weld in there to repair a part, not that I have welding equipment.
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Vince,

It's on its way.

Rob
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Awesome Rob, thanks again 👌

Will be putting that yoke to use as soon as I get it, and feeling confident that will solve the jumping out from 3rd gear. Will be amazing to not have to drive with one hand on gearstick in third 😊

Will post results after road test.
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

The side cover arrived today Rob, good timing as now given the missus the heads up working on car tomorrow 😁

See the attached photo, parts not at same angle but really illustrates the difference in wear.

Thinking I will use both yokes, shafts and springs out of your side cover Rob, and I have brand new ball bearings to use. Combined with my nos parts I had, should be like a near new side cover.

Will then try this side cover tommorow with existing box on car, and take it for a test drive. Should be interesting to see how that goes since the clutch and gearbox were overhauled previously by 2 different mechanics.

Bit excited about this, will post results.
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Try attaching photo again, doesn't seem to attach to post.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220225-180844.png
Screenshot_20220225-180844.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 475 times
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

Unfortunately still kicks out of third after putting my new side cover on the existing gearbox, although see photo of side cover from box that was on vehicle and you will see same wear on 2nd and third speed yoke. See also photo of 2nd and third speed detent spring from the side cover from the box I was working on against the one from Rob's side cover which is dramatically different. Photo also of inside the gearbox currently on car, some wear in cluster gear and looks like a burr on 3rd speed gear maybe.

Will take stock and think what to do next, thinking next of switching the gearbox with one on bench to see if it is the box on car. If that doesn't work maybe change bellhousing. Just not sure right now.
Attachments
20220226_104716.jpg
20220226_104716.jpg (4.39 MiB) Viewed 456 times
20220226_144329.jpg
20220226_144329.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 456 times
20220226_164357.jpg
20220226_164357.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 456 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bugger.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EJVince

Post by EJVince »

It's like it's trying to stay in with new side cover, but if you accelerate holding gearstick in 3rd you can feel it kicking out.