Headlights

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Headlights

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I know that i am jumping all over the place in my build just trying to sort things as they come to mind. But wot after market headlights are you using as i am old I need good Headlights possible Led at the moment my parkers which are LEDs seem brighter than my Headlights. I am using seal beam at the moment which are Sh** 50/75
Thanks everyone
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Harv

Re: Headlights

Post by Harv »

Wagon has H4 halogens, 130/90s. The reflector buckets bolt up, easy relay wiring. Bright enough that you would think I am scared of the dark :lol:

Graces ute got the halogen bulbs that slip into the original reflectors. Low enough current that they do not need a relay, but good and bright.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I’m pretty impressed with my original Bosch headlights, though globes are only about 45w. Halogen globes would wake them up.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

This is where I got the halogen bulbs with the base to suit early-Holden reflectors. Looks like Anthony does LEDs too:

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yes, thanks Harv. Handy to me.

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I can't get my head around using halogen when you can use LEDs if you are looking for strong lights. The amount of heat generated and current used is massive in comparison. Is it because you can't get bulbs to suit reflectors?
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

it's mainly because I am old, and still think halogen is the bees knees :lol:

LED is probably better for headlights, but I have no experience with it. I've dabbled with LED taillights and instrument lights, with mixed success. Taillights are OK, dome light is awesome, but instrument lights don't give enough beam spread to light up the back of an instrument (or shifter detent position) too well.

Cheers,
Harv
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

I'm old too Harv, but LED headlights, if you can fit them, they are game changing.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Folks
I have done the H4 halogen upgrade in my sedan by going with new headlight glass/reflector. I have used 55/60 watt, 55/100w & 90/130w globes.Upgraded wiring / relays are a must and eliminate voltage drop via the original dip switch as my original dip switch just operated the relays. A new fused feed was taken off the starter motor. An auto reset circuit breaker would be better, however my mod was c1984. Running a stock generator had trouble keeping up with the 90/130w globes in city traffic.

In my Ute I run original headlight units with the halogen globes on original bases & original wiring. They are ok and can be a quick upgrade.

I have also played around with LED in my motorcycle (single headlight) and they vary quite a bit.

Left LED - poor quality in terms of light volume (lumens) and beam. Hi & Lo is only effected by dimming the output. As such when you go to high beam you don’t see further down the road. Not recommend.

Middle - This one runs on 6 volt which is unique (not an issue with your FB or EK) but great for 1936 vintage bike! Also available in 12 volt. A lot more LED’s, more light but same as above with hi/low beam.

Right - The best of my sample by a mile. Light output is huge and a much more concise light output concentration. Two LED’s for low beam and third LED for high beam. Don’t believe eBay description that it runs on 6 volt (reason for purchase) because it doesn’t work! Fixed that with a Buck Tranny though, anyway no probs at 12 volt. My only experience was the life of unit, one LED failed then another. The best of my trials.

LED globes can be easily adapted to fit old headlight units (as I have done on English bikes) and would be worth pursuing. Ultimately depends on what your requirements are in the end. Hope this helps.

Regards
Stephen
Attachments
0B85B392-A70A-4866-9121-EDF2079C0466.jpeg
0B85B392-A70A-4866-9121-EDF2079C0466.jpeg (595.17 KiB) Viewed 905 times
13890293-BA17-482D-8407-8FFF470DD641.jpeg
13890293-BA17-482D-8407-8FFF470DD641.jpeg (524.79 KiB) Viewed 905 times
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Stephen. My tip for LED headlights is that nothing without the inbuilt fan and heatsink is suitable.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sounds complicated.

Like you old farts drive your pride and joys at night anyway.

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

You mean we old farts I think😁. Actually LED headlights arw pretty much plug and play. No need for heavy wiring or relays either. You can almost tell I think they are pretty good🤔
Sucker for a rusty bomb
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

I am leaning towards Led Because I have led's in the rest of the car Ied's dash /tail / flashers / park but Headlights have me stumped I don't know if I have to run relays or not and which one's to get to make it easy for us old folk someone please tell me what to do :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pmLike you old farts drive your pride and joys at night anyway.
Some of us do :mrgreen:

A609A171-3043-4754-AEC0-D4D8DA24A152.jpeg
A609A171-3043-4754-AEC0-D4D8DA24A152.jpeg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 859 times

Cheers,
Harv
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Billy
You wont need relays for LED. As you have sealed beam units you are going to need headlamp shells that accept replacement bulbs.

Depending on the headlamp shells you get will dictate what type of lamp base you need. From there the easiest way is to get the LED bulbs from the link Harv posted.

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!