Headlights

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Re: Headlights

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Harv wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:41 am This is where I got the halogen bulbs with the base to suit early-Holden reflectors. Looks like Anthony does LEDs too:

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

Cheers,
Harv

Multi LED High /Low LED 12 volt

This type of High Power LED is suitable for BPF (Lucas), APF, P43t, P45t and Ba15d lamps from the late 20's to 80's. High and low beam. (State lamp type when ordering).
Very low current drain. .600 ma at 12v +ve or -ve earth .
Natural white light and produces a Sharp defined beam pattern. 4000 to 4500 Lumens.
Note: Not suitable for Lucas PF770 type headlamps Can someone tell me what a Lucas PF770 headlight is .I have GOOGLED it but it's not real clear what it is and am I likely to have them in FB :ughh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Billy

I believe “PF” is likely to be same as “BPF” (British pre focus) which are the original type replaceable incandescent globes.

You stated in your original post you have sealed beam units. If that is the case you are going to need new glass/reflectors (ie headlights) that accept replacement globes (bulbs). From there you can choose to run incandescent, halogen or LED.

I see from the link Harv posted Classic & Vintage Bulbs (Anthony) has new headlights available. Best have a chat with him to see what he suggests. You will possibly need replacement connection sockets to suit.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
BILLY BLACKARROW

Thanks Stephen
I relies that I will need new glass I just don't want to get the wrong ones and there is so much out there it gets confusing for a old fart to get his head around :grinnn: :grinnn: But I am trying & as my wife says very trying.
PS I would like to get something local as the postal service is slow as
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Billy

Here is another option. Cant comment on the light quality of light levels. Perhaps the seller feedback comments might assist?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18405441467 ... nl%3Dmkcid

Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
BILLY BLACKARROW

Hi All Again
i'm looking at the Lightening dark H4 bulbs from amazon if someone can past a link that would be great . My problem is heat output with the headlight bucket will I have to drill holes in the bucket for better air flow . And i was told today that the old stile reflectors don't suit a LED Globe any idea's on that. The more I look into this the more confused I get :unimpresseddd:
BILLY BLACKARROW
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

these ?????? -
https://www.amazon.com.au/LIGHTENING-DA ... B07RQZ4BJ7

What are your plans ? late night high speed moonshine runs ??? Whats wrong with just banging a set of Halogen or LED sealed beams in it ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Spend yer cash on some exciting go fast gear like wheels, carbys or rocket red paint. Lights is boring. 8 ) 8 )

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Yeah Billy,

When you think about it most streets are lit up now so lights are not so important.

I just used a set of sealed beams, you only need to graft in a late model plug onto the loom and the beams go straight into your buckets.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
BILLY BLACKARROW

Thanks Blacky
They are the same only in H4 :starr:
BILLY BLACKARROW
BILLY BLACKARROW

I was told today that LED headlights are illegal don't think that is right BUT have decided that you Guys are right and I wont be driving at night that much anyway only need headlights to pass rego :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY BLACKARROW
avm
State: VIC

Post by avm »

Hi,

If I may add my understanding to this thread...

LEDs per se are not illegal. Where LED-based lighting can potentially be illegal is when conditions such as the following arise whilst the car is being used in a space where road regulations apply (e.g. a public street):

1. LEDs produce colors that would not be legal for any type of lamp irrespective of type. Examples include flashing blue lights, multi-colored parking lights, green blinkers, purple headlamps, red taillights that are not the legally-accepted shade of red. These colors are fine if they are only activated whilst the car is not on a road where roadworthiness standards apply (e.g. in your garage). This would apply to any type of light, whether LED or not.

2. LEDs are visibly unstable/flickering (e.g. due to defective internal circuitry). This would apply to any type of light, whether LED or not.

3. LEDs are installed into a highly directional lamp fitting (e.g. headlamp reflector) that was designed for a filament-based bulb, thus causing stray rays of light to emanate from the reflector at unintended angles and causing problems such as ineffective beam patterns for visibility of the road to the driver and/or glare to other drivers. This would apply to any type of light, whether LED or not, such as filing down an incorrect headlamp bulb so as to fit the headlamp socket, which could place the filament into the wrong spot within the reflector.

4. LEDs having an unstable or poorly-fitting base are installed into a directional lamp fitting, thus causing issues related to #3 above.

Doubtless there are other ways to screw up with LEDs that I have not mentioned above.

My biggest concern is #3 - Drivers installing LED globes into their traditional reflector headlamps. Reflector headlamps almost always are designed with the expectation that the light comes from a very small and specific point within the lens - Called the FOCAL POINT - Where the headlamp filament is located within the prescribed light bulb. Where a high-beam feature exist, the reflector is designed to accept filaments in exactly two focal points - One for low beam, one for high beam, and nowhere else.

Installing an LED bulb, one needs to ensure that the light-emitting points are located EXACTLY at the focal point(s) of the lens.

Any differences, and that will result in glare and/or sub-optimal beam patterns.

To a certain degree this effect can also happen with tail lights and other lights around the car, but my experience has been that for many light fittings the changes are noticeable but not necessarily problematic. Heavily-diffused lenses tend not to suffer much, if at all, from LED bulbs. In fact, one of my car's rear lights were noticeably improved by the fitting of LED lights, as they created an exotic jeweled effect that still performed as required.

The very worst types of LED headlamp bulbs are those cheaper, typically older ones that resemble cylinders that have been tiled with yellow LED chips. In that case, not a single point source of light is located anywhere near the focal point, and instead there is a multitude of point light sources spraying light in unfortunate directions. Some of the more recent LED headlamp bulbs are designed to place their light emitting points very close to the intended filament positions, but I have yet to encounter one that is 100% correct - The light beam patterns seem decent, but there is still undesirable glare that may be sufficient to attract police attention on a slow day.

In due course I intend to investigate and experiment with LED lighting specifically for the FB/EK Holden. Meanwhile, it appears that where headlamps are concerned, it may well be desirable one day to entirely replace the legacy filament-based sealed beam unit with a self-contained LED replacement unit where the lights are built-in to purpose-built reflectors/projectors, thus potentially delivering benefits of LED lighting without causing lighting or legal problems. The market is awash with candidates, but which are actually any good remains to be learned.
Project ICKPA.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I think you’ve covered the issues eloquently mate. Back in the 80s I happened on some halogen globes that fitted in to my original Lucas P700 lenses. The geometry was all wrong with light shining up in the trees as you describe.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Belly760

Post by Belly760 »

I’d be interested to know if you come across anything worthwhile [mention]avm [/mention]. I have LEDs in my commodore which are far superior to the original globes. I know how bad the FB lights are so a LED alternative would be fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
briby
State: VIC

Post by briby »

Have a look at Narva, they have 7" Hi/Lo & DRL, don't like the look myself, i have the H4 conversion #72002, they're called free form or reflector headlamps & then a reputable LED globe to go in em. Unbelievable low beam improvement not so sure about high beam, don't do a lot of night driving,i have the same LED's in our daily driver, this is from the daily
PXL_20230412_091554288.jpg
PXL_20230412_091554288.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 332 times
Don't have to be Einstein to tell the LED from the halogen (Phillips +130).
Briby
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
gledge

Post by gledge »

I thought I had found the answer the other day in the Holley classic LED that looks like a normal halogen but they only make them in Left hand drive at this stage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk