Distractions

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Distractions

Post by Orange Betty »

A few months ago I retrieved my 1988 Range Rover Classic from a property it had been at for the last 5 years. And prior to that not driven much for a good few years. Its an early EFI version and was dual fuel then running lpg only but retained the original fuel system. Been trying to get it going but can't yet get power to the injectors - so many wires.... :econfused:
Rangie.jpg
Rangie.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 610 times
I've also been taking a closer look at this
Yellow Car.jpg
Yellow Car.jpg (267.18 KiB) Viewed 610 times
YC2.jpg
YC2.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 610 times
Locally known as Yellow Car it is on the mountain bike/walking track near my house. I've been riding past it for the last 20 years but doing less riding lately and more walking I decided to take a closer look.

On first look I spied the starter motor had been removed but was just sitting in the bay but still wired up. A tug on it freed it up and I thought I may as well take it home. A starter motor gets pretty heavy on a hilly 3km walk! Anyway, bench tested it and it works. I've got a couple of junk holden 6 cylinder engines that I want to rebuild as practice for building Betty's grey motor and I'm lacking a few things like the starter motor. I've since retrieved the fuel pump (no bowl), oil pump (looks good), manifolds and thermostat housing. Also been treking in every day and cracking the head bolts as one of my blocks is lacking a head. It's taken a few trips with a busted 1/2 to 3/8 socket adaptor, stripped rocker cover bolts so I couldn't get inside and needed to take my butane torch. It's about a 10 minute walk from the nearest place I can park so I plan to wander in tomorrow with a trolley and liberate the head.

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Distractions

Post by Blacky »

its fairly easy to remove the fuel injection and retrofit a carb on those alloy V8's but you will never get it registered like that , hand if you are going to use it for a shooting bus or something like that...
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Pommy electrics are cursed

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:34 pm Pommy electrics are cursed

FB ute driver, EK van project
Yep , the Lucas headlight switch has 3 settings - OFF , DIM , FLICKER .
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

Orange Betty wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:59 pmBeen trying to get it going but can't yet get power to the injectors - so many wires.... :econfused:
You did top it up, didn't you?

Lucas magic smoke.jpg
Lucas magic smoke.jpg (17.59 KiB) Viewed 554 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

:lol: so true

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

I'm surprised the front seats are still in the commy there actually a comfortable seat had some in my EK sedan for a while before I changed it back to a bench
😎
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Theres bugger all of them around these days but the 4 cylinder early Commodes weren't completely useless, apart from the rods and oil filter adapters off the engines, they had disc front ends that were early Holden stud pattern and wore 13" rims - perfect for adaption to HR front ends and you could still run your deep dish 13" chromies 8) :thumbsup:

Harv

Post by Harv »

Chances are that it has the poor mans Salisbury under it, but there is a slight chance that it was optioned up with the big-boys Salisbury with slippery centre.

Check the plate on the radiator support panel. GU7 code is the little one, but GU4, GV4 or GV7 opens up the chance of the big one. Not sure if the early commies had the LSD warning tag on the fill plug.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.