Wheel bearing washers

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Wheel bearing washers

Post by Harv »

Many moons ago, I put the wagon together using a HR front end, Commodore bearings and brakes. Stupid me used the Commodore wheel bearing washers (the ones that look like a normal washer, with a little tang inside to stop them spinning). With the car on the road, I had a squeak. Suspect some of it was because the Commodore washer tangs do not engage the HR spindle grooves... there were witness marks where the washers had been spinning.

Being clever, I stole the washers off the FB (it was up on stands anyway for the brake conversion). That got the wagon back on the road.

Of course, now that the FB disk brake conversion is getting serious, I need those washers. I can't even find the dodgy Commodore ones that I carefully put away in a safe place. I can buy the early Holden washers from Rares, but at $20 and $10 postage I can't face the bill (they are pricey as they come with the castellated nuts too). For the sake of fit and fiddle I've put the FB together with plain washers, but it hurt my soul to do it.

Does anyone have a pair of FB/EK wheel bearing washers that they would part with please? Happy to pay for parts and postage.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
ardiesse

Re: Wheel bearing washers

Post by ardiesse »

Harv,

I have many complete FE-HR front hubs, and quite a few loose wheel bearing washers. Sod's Law suggests that the wheel bearing washers will be for HK onwards. Otherwise, I'm happy to cannibalise some front hubs for the washers.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks - appreciated.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I thought the washers and for that matter the castelated nuts came with wheel bearing kits.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Sadly no. Most of the time it is inners, outers and seals. No washers, least not in the kits I've been buying.

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Found a few that have washers but not indexed. Probably thinking of a trailer hub kit I got.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

I found three loose washers, but they're 3/4" ID . . . so I guess that they're HK onwards. I'd better get my spider-warding stick and go down the back.

Rob
Harv

Post by Harv »

Washers arrived with the Postie this morning (many thanks Rob).

FB/EK on the left, the dodgy Conformadore ones on the right.

wheel bearing washers.jpg
wheel bearing washers.jpg (137.79 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Cheers,
Harv
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

Of course this bloke has them, at a price!
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180805674656
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

Harv

Post by Harv »

Ta. That's about $5 cheaper than Rares, though I'm too tight to pay $15 for a pair of washers :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

i always thought the disc brake washer and nut were bigger than the drum brake washer and nut :?:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

According to the MasterParts, the washer for FX-HR is 7400111, and similarly the 5/18-18UNF nut is 102649.

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:22 am According to the MasterParts, the washer for FX-HR is 7400111, and similarly the 5/18-18UNF nut is 102649.

Cheers,
Harv
yeah HR drum brakes had the smaller nut and washer but i thought the disc brakes are the bigger nut and washer
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Harv I've used commodore brakes, HZ brakes and my FC originally had HR front discs and I've never seen that weird washer or noticed different size nuts, what commodore did the washer come from and have you got further details on nut sizes I'm sure it would be valuable info for people in the future.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)