Door sill scuff plates

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Door sill scuff plates

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Hi All
Does anyone know if Sam Crupi is still making the door sill scuff plates ? I am after a set for sedan and a contact No or Email address would help any idea how much he charges
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Door sill scuff plates

Post by Blacky »

Yeah he still does them Billy , his number is 0491 634 646
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
BILLY BLACKARROW

Where is he located and any idea of cost
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

He is in Shepparton , call him for prices mate.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Top fellow is Sam. Great products and a nicer bloke to talk to would be hard to find.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
BILLY BLACKARROW

Just rang Sam $280 + $20 post to Newcastle Stainless Satin finish :smile22: :smile22:
BILLY BLACKARROW
Belly760

Post by Belly760 »

Are these better than the rares spares??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
Harv

Post by Harv »

I've never used Rares plates, but do have Sam's plates in my EK wagon. Great fit and finish, and as noted above a nice bloke to deal with.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Rev Tex

Post by Rev Tex »

I've got what seems to be a silly question. I bought a replacement Front driver scuff plate to replace a badly damaged one. I bought it from Rares before I read the posts about Sam Crupi's unfortunately.

Anyway the new one arrived today and I thought I'd just switch them over and re-glue the door rubber. But when I took the old one off it seems that only the end screws attach to the body of the car. The other screws just seemed to wind into a tube/spacer that's been soldered or brazed onto the underside of the scuff plate. I initially assumed the screws would go into the top of the sill, but there are no holes there.

I had an EK 20 years ago and I remembered taking the scuff plates off to re-paint them, but I can't remember whether the screws locked into the top of the sill or not.

Is it the case that only the end screws attach to the body? And if so, why are there 4 other screw holes in the scuff plate. Below are photos of the old scuff plate and also the top of the sill.

My intial thoughts were to drill holes to attach with screws, but I don't want to drill unnecessary holes if I'm mistaken.
IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8015.jpg (351.63 KiB) Viewed 682 times
IMG_8016.jpg
IMG_8016.jpg (732.29 KiB) Viewed 682 times
Cheers,
Iain
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

They should screw into the body mate, I cant see your pics but if there are no holes there I would screw the new ones on with the screws that DO line up and drill the others to suit

Belly760

Door sill scuff plates

Post by Belly760 »

When I pulled my scuff plate off I had the same thought. But I realised it was a sleeve that the screw passed though on the original scuff plate. (I’m not sure it was originally attached to the scuff or just a spacer sleeve so as the scuff don’t pull down and distort). And the screw head popped off leaving the sleeve and screw behind. I then put some vice grips on the sleeve and managed to remove the remainder of the screw from the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FB Ute Stock
EK Ute in Pieces
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I wonder if your car has had a new outer sill fitted Iain. As Blacky says, align and drill, and the crush tubes are attached to the part Sam, on the originals at least.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Sam's plates come with the holes pre-drilled and plastic spacers (6 for fronts and 4 for rears). You just line up plates using end screws and drill new holes in the sill if it's a new sill. If Rares don't come with holes I guess you just use the old one as a template for both the holes and the length of spacers. Sam's ones are just plastic tube cut to length and with internal hole big enough for screw and about 1mm wall thickness. If you need, I can measure a spacer for you as I have a set handy.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Rev Tex

Post by Rev Tex »

Thanks guys - that's what I thought. I was pretty surprised to see the screws didn't contact the sill.I haven't taken the other scuff plates off, but it sounds like it's either a new sill or a previous owner has filled the holes (either properly or with body filler). I had replaced some screws on another scuff plate with longer stainless screws, so it may not be the case for all four.

The Rares scuff plate comes pre-drilled (and it looks to be accurate) but no spacers. I can turn up some spacers easily enough, but I actually think I might give Sam a call. It looks like a full set from him will be the same cost as the other three that I suspect I'll end up replacing.

I really appreciate the confirmation and wise words from all...

Iain
steveo

Post by steveo »

Hi , on the scuff plate topic ... does anyone have a pic of what original scuff plates finish looked like /?.
The ones I have are recoverable but not sure what I'm working toward.
Thanks
Attachments
scuff plate origin.jpg
scuff plate origin.jpg (741.83 KiB) Viewed 608 times