DIY Rotisserie

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: DIY Rotisserie

Post by Errol62 »

I can imagine the work in that. Well done.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Great job , will that program give you a cut sheet with dimensions etc for fabrication??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
funkyscooter
State: NSW

Post by funkyscooter »

If only Blacky. Sketch Up Basic free and you can run it on your favorite browser so don't expect too much.

My plan is to make an 8000mm length as a guide and lay up all the pieces along it. That size is the cheapest way to purchase from my local supplier, so I might need to mix and match to see if I can get away with 1 x40 and 1 x50 length. Haven't added it up yet so might need more.

Found this recently for making the most of sheets of wood - could adapt maybe
https://cutlistoptimizer.com/
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Bit of a deep dive into my rotisserie build.
Learnt a few things too. That’s my positive spin on making mistakes.

First up, spent a lot of time in Sketch Up trying to design something that was strong, and used minimal materials. My local steel stockist sell at a reasonable price for full lengths, but as soon as you cut a length, you pay for the cut and the price per meter goes up. So was working to squeeze everything out of two lengths of 8 mtr (40 x 4 and 50 x 5). Couldn’t do it - at best I was going to have 20mm waste and that left no room for error and way too much stress. In the end settled on an additional length of 50 x 2.5 which meant I could extend the base to offer a bit more support.
The are also 8 brackets, 6 mounting plates, various bracing for the main beams, all cut from one length of 50 x 5 plate, and inner and outer steel pipe CHS with the thickest wall section. Those will have to be cuts as I only need under a metre of each

So jigged and re jigged, and came up with these final designs.
Front.png
Front.png (894.81 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Rear.png
Rear.png (1.36 MiB) Viewed 644 times
Few tricky things to to here. Brackets are all bent so have to work out how to do that without oxy torch. All the holes are for adjustment. They work like a veriner caliper scale, so everything can be adjusted 5mm within a 140mm range. The outer pipe has 4 holes (pic shows more but realised after 4 the pattern repeats) at 0, 22.5, 45 and 67.5 degrees. Inner pipe has 6 holes all at 60 degrees. From that I should be able to spin and lock it at 15 degree increments. Do I need that level of adjustment? Probably not. Is it over kill? Hell yes! But was fun to work this out.

So placed my steel order $500 delivered (which was $110), then puzzled over if I should buy a cut off saw of hire one from Kennards. $70 to hire for a day, $210 to buy and have it delivered to my door. Decision made.
IMG_8980.JPG
IMG_8980.JPG (596.92 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Note the old used fire blanket as spark arrester. This is getting a lot of use when I grind things.

Steel arrives, I help the guy unload, he sees the cars and wants a look as you do. Ex panel beater. Extolling the virtues of fish oil. Unfortunately that was about all the advice he could offer up.

Sent him on his way and first lesson is discovered. Despite multiple price checks and aborted orders on the steel website, when I finally put in the order I selected the thin wall CHS pipe for the outer so the inner one is rattling around. Grrrr, re order BOTH inner and outer as I decided the inner one should be thicker as it will bear a lot of the weight.

Picked up new CHS and figured I start on the holes. Measured the diameter of the pipe, got out the calculator. Marked the six points out and wrapped my guide round the pipe ready to hole punch
IMG_8968.JPG
IMG_8968.JPG (526.74 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Well actually that was take two. My first attempt I drilled straight though thinking that my $100 drill press was square and my centre punch perfectly lined up. Neither were. With the additional holes drilled the final result was comical at best. My dad is and ex fitter and turner. I’m sure it would make him proud.

Decided to thread the inner pipe for an M8 bolt. Don’t want the pin coming out. This was before I realised I only need 4 holes on the outer pipe and gravity would do just as well. Way I kept the tap square…..
IMG_8969.JPG
IMG_8969.JPG (561.51 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Same approach and I have 4 holes in the outer.
IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8982.JPG (676.75 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Fit is a bit sloppy but I think it will do.
IMG_8981.JPG
IMG_8981.JPG (768.75 KiB) Viewed 644 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

2 weeks pass…

Yeah, so cut off saw. Bought it for the convenience of not having to leave home to hire one, and for the future, but despite the picture in the last post it took two weeks to ship. Should have gone to the local Total Tools and picked one up and returned the posted one. So temporarily had to store the steel. 48kg 8m lengths are not easy to move out the way. Finally….
IMG_8999.JPG
IMG_8999.JPG (563.65 KiB) Viewed 642 times
2 and a half back breaking hours later
IMG_9001.JPG
IMG_9001.JPG (757.88 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Dress all the edges with my old belt sander upside down in the vice.
IMG_9002.JPG
IMG_9002.JPG (603.99 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Started off with the rebate for the pipe in the upright and supporting brace. Original plan was to buy a hole saw but couldn’t work out and easy way to do the 45 angle. Plan B, back to Sketch Up, break down the model and print a 1:1 of the curves and use those as guides. Don’t have a pic of the templates, but started pretty rough with the cut off wheel in the angle grinder, then onto the powerfile to finish. Here is the start of a verticle.
IMG_9012.JPG
IMG_9012.JPG (489.74 KiB) Viewed 642 times

And the final fitting of a brace.
IMG_9005.JPG
IMG_9005.JPG (519.36 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Next. Brackets. No heat so only solution was to cut almost through, bend and weld.
IMG_9038.JPG
IMG_9038.JPG (569.35 KiB) Viewed 642 times
IMG_9039.JPG
IMG_9039.JPG (809.66 KiB) Viewed 642 times
So welding isn’t as hard as I thought….. as long as you only weld 5mm steel. Still using 6mm wire on this. Was feeding through at its highest setting.
Sweet!
IMG_9041.JPG
IMG_9041.JPG (876.41 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Some short time later.
IMG_9042.JPG
IMG_9042.JPG (729.99 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Note the propane in the background. Well I had to try and see how hot I could get the metal after I cut it. On the colour scale of heating metal, I think I achieved light brown. Of the two I tried to heat, one broke and the other tore more than the ones I bent cold.
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Time for some frames. This was the flattest surface I could find that wouldn’t burn. Need to get some metal clamps. Keep melting these ones, and they are too spongy. Used the builder square to keep things aligned. Also have a cheap engineers square, which is slightly out of square compared to the builders - conundrum!
IMG_9063.JPG
IMG_9063.JPG (843.86 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Chamfered (there’s a word I never thought I’d use) the edges and stripped paint around welding areas. First weld was the least successful, ended up slightly out of square and I filled it with weld before checking. Cut and re weld - this time spots in all corners and checked before filling in. With two legs on, into its new home to check square and weld in main support beam. Not quite square, rocks slightly, but hopefully a massive chunk of rotating metal will stop that. Or it will annoy the hell out of me.
IMG_9061.JPG
IMG_9061.JPG (841.85 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Next day, with vertical supports added.
IMG_9064.JPG
IMG_9064.JPG (681.77 KiB) Viewed 641 times
First test fit of vertical, with mock up of axle. Didn’t take any picks of hole drilling for the adjustment in the vertical. Again, back to sketch up and print out a bunch of templates with the correct hole spacing, centre punch into metal, drill pilot, drill 9mm for outer and 8mm for inner.
IMG_9065.JPG
IMG_9065.JPG (527.21 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Much fiddling and finally got things lined up in the vice.
IMG_9068.JPG
IMG_9068.JPG (620.85 KiB) Viewed 641 times
One crucial thing here is that the outer sleeve on the axles have to mirror each other for the rotisserie to lock at 15 degrees at both end. This photo was to remind me how to do it for the other one with the bracket bolted into the sleeve, and packed with bits of metal.
IMG_9069.JPG
IMG_9069.JPG (616.13 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Shazam
IMG_9071.JPG
IMG_9071.JPG (591.64 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Now to test that I got my mirroring right, I marked out (what I’m calling) a gusset that will be welded to the main beam for strength. Spun it round a bit and re pinned. Close enough.
IMG_9072.JPG
IMG_9072.JPG (718.67 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Welding ‘gussest’ in place. Got a scrap of sheet at the back to gap it a bit as the pipe is slightly under 50mm. Tack, check and weld.
IMG_9074.JPG
IMG_9074.JPG (509.74 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Lining up quite nicely.
IMG_9075.JPG
IMG_9075.JPG (428.75 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Grab the main supports to test fit. Pretty hard to work here as I’m low on space but now would be a good time to have them side by side……. But. Oh shit! Hang on.
IMG_9076.JPG
IMG_9076.JPG (582.21 KiB) Viewed 640 times
What you can’t see here is the bigger picture, and my bigger stupidity. First up, the car is currently hanging over the back of the hoist by 200mm. Secondly, stands fit inside the hoist which limits their travel to 4.1 meters. Now I will remember that number for quite a while, because of all the things I measured and wrote down, the one that I failed to restrict the design to was this 4.1 metres. Think I got so caught up in minimising steel and then the unrestricted abandon of using an extra length, that my design went from practical to un usable. Measure twice, cut once. Ha!

I’m well over length. Measure car again. 3640 with taillights still on, and can be slightly less as they poke out. That gives me roughly 250mm at each end between the car and the end of the hoist.

Back….to…..Sketch…..Up.

Problem. The supports for the vertical in the original are fine on the front but foul at the rear so I spun the rear around. Problem solved, er I mean…. created. Spin back, various changes after re measuring the rear and ended up with this.
Revised Rear.png
Revised Rear.png (488.24 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Brackets on supports still kinda work (I hope), supports are shortened and I have to cut the legs off the base and re weld on the other end.

Over this for now, time to go and cut some rusty metal out.
Scott
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Wow Scott that is a major piece of work very well executed.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

wow - I built a rotisserie about 20 years ago out of crap that was lying around and i knocked it up in an afternoon - so THIS is how you do it properly !!

Nice work mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

You certainly have some great skills Scott- Amazing design and construction.
But yes, crusty rust waits for no one🤗
I'm thinking about some of mine now, at 3am in the #%**^% morning.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Yes Brett, I know those mornings!
Thanks for the support guys, this is fun project to test some new skills.
Scott
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Great work Scott

A few years ago I fabricated our steel deck frame from 50 x 50 x 3mm SHS and recall moving the 8m lengths, they were rather heavy. Did the same as you went and bought a metal cut off saw. Don't use it often but it is certainly handy to have and fun making lots of noise/sparks!

You certainly put some planning in your job and the results show. I see the old vice came in for a work out. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

This is a bit of a catch up. Started welding the front together. Must have been happy with my mad welding skills. Looks strong enough.
IMG_9133.jpeg
IMG_9133.jpeg (536.5 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Then assembled it all. Spot the next mistake.
IMG_9135.jpeg
IMG_9135.jpeg (530 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Not going to be able to mount the subframe with this design. Again threw the tools down and back to sketchup.

Lots of swearing and cutting later......
IMG_9137.jpeg
IMG_9137.jpeg (524.38 KiB) Viewed 554 times
IMG_9146.jpeg
IMG_9146.jpeg (814.44 KiB) Viewed 554 times
IMG_9148.jpeg
IMG_9148.jpeg (609.68 KiB) Viewed 554 times
And a test fit with the sub frame in place
IMG_9298 2.jpeg
IMG_9298 2.jpeg (593.92 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Next cut the legs down on the base, weld the brackets to the brace supports. Originally I was just going to bolt them on, but this is a better way to go. Final test fit to prove that car and stands can fit inside the hoist.
IMG_9638 2.jpeg
IMG_9638 2.jpeg (931.08 KiB) Viewed 554 times
As there is a bit of slop in the inner and outer pipe, I added some shims made out of 1mm offcuts and tacked them in.
IMG_9639 2.jpeg
IMG_9639 2.jpeg (674.43 KiB) Viewed 554 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Progress on the rotisserie hit a snag with the car not lining up at the front as seen above. The car is precariously balanced on blocks over the front spring mounts at the back, something I only discovered after taking the subframe off and realised I could lift the whole car up with one hand. There is no easy way to twist the car round and slide it across. So the slightly harder way - put the diff back in. Not a one man job and my able bodied assistant has been MIA with work/uni/girlfriend/car/mates. Finally nailed him down last weekend.
IMG_9762.jpeg
IMG_9762.jpeg (821.94 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Then a bit of wiggling and shuffling and I have finally got the front bolted on. Not adjusted or balanced at this stage - just everything in its lowest position.
IMG_9763.jpeg
IMG_9763.jpeg (943.96 KiB) Viewed 553 times
The iPhone lens is a bit unkind in this picture - looks like the whole thing is twisting down. Or maybe I just wasn't standing up straight.
IMG_9764.jpeg
IMG_9764.jpeg (873.59 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Put a ratchet strap round the stand and the front of the hoist and slid the front stand/car as far forward as I could go. It's a tight squeeze up front, sub frame had to be repositioned to slide the car forward. Going to have to to a shed shuffle at some point.
IMG_9769.jpeg
IMG_9769.jpeg (844.34 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Then temporarily place the rear stand in place, ready to final measure and fabricate the rear mount.
IMG_9768.jpeg
IMG_9768.jpeg (862.71 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Scott