DIY Rotisserie

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: DIY Rotisserie

Post by Errol62 »

Lovely work Scotty

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter
State: NSW

Post by funkyscooter »

Taking me as long to build a rotisserie as its taking Brett to restore Project 2 :lol:
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

here's a thought - if you modify your car like the pic in your avatar you will have lots more room in the shed ........

.... modern problems call for modern solutions :D :D

you're welcome 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Yes - the ultimate 2 door! Or just build a bigger garage.....
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Okay - nearly there.
Bolted the plates into the rear bumper mounts and tack welded. Lots of lining up with level and builders square to get as close as possible. There is enough play in the bolt holes for any furthrer adjustment.
IMG_9906.jpeg
IMG_9906.jpeg (668.81 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Out into the vice to finish welding each leg.
IMG_9909.jpeg
IMG_9909.jpeg (791.81 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Bit of art. Both legs welded up and in place.
IMG_9910.jpeg
IMG_9910.jpeg (676.84 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Next I bolted the cross beam to the legs and tacked it to the centre shaft. Back out to the vice to finish the welding in relative comfort.
IMG_0008.jpg
IMG_0008.jpg (909.89 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Time for a bit of grey primer to finish the job.
IMG_0190.jpeg
IMG_0190.jpeg (754.8 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Reassembled and started to balance - and ran out of room. Need to move the subframe, the car, or both.
IMG_0191.jpeg
IMG_0191.jpeg (804.75 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Fully floating. Need to take the diff out to get it balanced but it moves pretty easily. Will also slide the car back as far as I can to try and clear the sub frame. A bolt in each inside corner of the base, through into the rail of the hoist and I'll call it done. That nine months just flew by.
IMG_0261.jpeg
IMG_0261.jpeg (891.58 KiB) Viewed 691 times
Scott
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Well done. None of your check book restoration here.

EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Clay - got a bit of cleaning up to do in and around the car before I really get it spinning. Just got to work out where to put everything. The car has been an extra cupboard for years.
And what's a check book? :lol:
Scott
Rev Tex

Post by Rev Tex »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:54 pm 3/8” UNF. Yes, the tow bar mounts over the bumper irons. I accidentally “liberated” a couple of the captive nuts on my ute trying to get the bolts out. I had to saw access holes inside the rear to weld in new ones. Suppose I could have used nutserts but not as strong.
G'day Clay - you don't have any photos of what's going on inside there do you? I also have a couple of the captive nuts gone missing and I'm trying to work out the best way of properly securing the newly chromed rear bumper. The guy before me managed to install a post on one side, but on the other side there is no internal thread at all. I'm thinking of cutting in from the top, but would just like to see if anyone has a picture of what's inside.

Iain
Errol62

DIY Rotisserie

Post by Errol62 »

Pretty hard to photograph in there in the case of my ute Tex. I was working through the rust holes. On each side there are two square nuts from factory, sitting in individual cages, with no movement. In my case the threads were seized, causing the nuts to spin in the cages, forcing the sides apart.

I replaced them with fresh nuts, fixed with bolts through the bumperette mounts, all set up. Then got the welder in through rust holes and stuck them in place, carefully as I could, without melting the threads. Then repaired the rust inside the car.

EK van on rotisserie
Rev Tex

Post by Rev Tex »

Thanks mate - I only discovered that three bolts were holding the bar on (plus the 2 fender bolts) when I took the bar off for rechroming.

I tried to use a riv-nut, but found the hole was obstructed off to one side. It kind of feels like the nut may have "peeled" away to one side of the hole. Given that the body is really sound in that area I'm not too keen on cutting it open just to get to the nut. I think I'll run with three bolts for now.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

No prob. Maybe possible to catch the nut using a 3/8 unc tap and plug weld from the front?

EK van on rotisserie
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK DAZ »

When I done my wagon ones, I cut some little access holes on the underside, welded in new nuts and re-welded the cut pieces back in place. then when I went to re-mount to the rotisserie the new nut stripped, so had to do it all again. So when welding in the nuts I used a hot mig and the nuts must of got too hot and annealed ( softened ). Just tack without getting to hot. Regards Daz.
EK DAZ
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Errol62 wrote:No prob. Maybe possible to catch the nut using a 3/8 unc tap and plug weld from the front?

UNF 3/8 not unc

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

I have this problem as well on my wagon, bolt wouldn't come out on the driver side back one so I put some heat on it and all it did was stuff the capture nut, so for the time being, when I made my rotis brackets for the back the driver side one front I bolted and then put a fairly good tack on the bracket to chassis rail to hold it once it comes off the rotis I will fix as Daz said.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yep they’re fraught.

The hinge nuts on the back at least you can cut a nice 3/4” hole behind from spare wheel compartment. Then use to inject fisholene so it doesn’t happen again.

EK van on rotisserie