Grey Motor teardown

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Re: Grey Motor teardown

Post by Orange Betty »

Advice from the machine shop is:
- cylinders need rebore - 40" for available pistons
- crank needs grinding 30" mains and 40" big end (no doubt due to spun bearings)
- close and hone rods
- shave block deck and head surface

Camshaft, head, valves etc otherwise ok.

$4,240 for everything (inclusive of pistons, rings bearings...). Does that sound reasonable?

Cheers

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Harv

Post by Harv »

Feels about right. They are not cheap anymore. Can save a few pennies doing the assembly yourself, though that comes with all the normal warranty risk.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

For a grey you can expect up to $5k.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Seems a little high for bottom end only ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Thanks all. So it appears to be in the ballpark. There are a few things I need to check but will probably bite the bullet and get the work done.

Cheers

Dave
kermit17

Post by kermit17 »

Hey Dave. A word of warning, if you are reassembling the engine yourself don't use the Permaseal rope rear main seal that comes in the engine reconditioning set. They are rubbish!!! I have recently recond my grey motor and I found that the seal that is provided in the set when installed crushes too easily and will quickly leak oil out the rear of the engine. I found a rope seal from a V8 Oldsmobile or Plymouth that worked a lot better. It is a square shaped seal approximately 8.5 X 8.5mm (see photos). The long fury looking seal is the type provided in the set, the 2 smaller pieces are the cut off ends of the seal I installed. I also put center punch marks in the seal groove to make sure the seal does not spin. This is just my 2 cents worth as an ex motor mechanic for what its worth. Cheers Peter
Attachments
20200820_122444.jpg
20200820_122444.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 418 times
20200820_122454.jpg
20200820_122454.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 418 times
20200825_083733.jpg
20200825_083733.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 418 times
20200825_083818.jpg
20200825_083818.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 418 times
FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Good thread!
I’m about to start the build of a hotty grey motor myself.

Can’t wait!
Drew
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

kermit17 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:15 pm Hey Dave. A word of warning, if you are reassembling the engine yourself don't use the Permaseal rope rear main seal that comes in the engine reconditioning set. They are rubbish!!! I have recently recond my grey motor and I found that the seal that is provided in the set when installed crushes too easily and will quickly leak oil out the rear of the engine. I found a rope seal from a V8 Oldsmobile or Plymouth that worked a lot better. It is a square shaped seal approximately 8.5 X 8.5mm (see photos). The long fury looking seal is the type provided in the set, the 2 smaller pieces are the cut off ends of the seal I installed. I also put center punch marks in the seal groove to make sure the seal does not spin. This is just my 2 cents worth as an ex motor mechanic for what its worth. Cheers Peter
Thanks Peter, good advice. I have heard horror stories about the rope rear main seal!

Dave
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Peter,

Would the better quality rear main bearing oil seal be the Graphtite one?

Rob
kermit17

Post by kermit17 »

I believe that both rope seals are impregnated with graphite. Its more about the structure of the fibers that makes them different. Mr Gasket in the US seem to have a wide variety of seals similar to the ones I used but the ones I used were leftover stock from another job so not sure what make or model. If you contact them direct and ask for 2 seals approximately 8.5mm squared x 130mm long they should have something that will fit. Hope this helps. Cheers Peter