Fuel issue

Includes fuel system, cooling system and exhaust.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

PEARO
State: QLD

Fuel issue

Post by PEARO »

I’ve been recommissioning my grey powered Ute (FC) after being off the road for over seven years. One issue I’m having is Im not getting fuel to the fuel pump therefore to the carbs. The fuel has been sitting in the tank for the seven years and as expected has gone off. I’ve drained the fuel tank and blown compressed air from the inline fuel filter inlet back to the tank outlet and from tank outlet into tank. I’ve installed a new inline fuel filter, new Goss fuel pump and filled the tank with fresh fuel (20 Litres) The engine will start if fuel is squirted down the carb throat but won’t run. Problem is I’m not seeing any fuel in the filter and can’t seem to prime the pump after several attempts. I will pull the fuel hose off upstream of the pump tomorrow and see if I can pump fuel into a container using the starter motor to crank the engine
Question: 1. Should I see fuel in the filter with half a tank of fuel due to gravity?
2. Could I have a vacuum blockage from the tank? I’ve tried with the fuel cap off- no dice.
3. Do I need to run an anti collapse hose from the fuel line to the fuel pump inlet?
4. Anyone got any other ideas?
Rob
gpi
State: VIC

Re: Fuel issue

Post by gpi »

fuel pump has to suck, check it is
ehsv6
State: VIC

Post by ehsv6 »

Needle and seat in carbie stuck shut ?
Member EH Holden Car Club Vic
Supercharged V6 EH Sedan
EH Wagon
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Fuel won't get to the glass bowl by gravity. Can take 20 seconds cranking.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Fex

Post by Fex »

I had some issues with air into the fuel bowl recently. I started with a hose directly connected to to fuel pump into a jar of fuel. Best to keep the jar far enough from anything that might spark. Screwed a barb into the fuel pump. Hose on the end of the barb and other end in the jar. Helps eliminate the fuel pump as the issue.
99A49012-8AB5-4647-8555-BB673BD84F80.jpeg
99A49012-8AB5-4647-8555-BB673BD84F80.jpeg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
Cheers Andrew
Attachments
2AF3AAE7-94E5-4DC1-9AE4-7D197D480992.jpeg
2AF3AAE7-94E5-4DC1-9AE4-7D197D480992.jpeg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Thanks everyone for the advice I’ll have another crack at it tomorrow and see how I get on.
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Had another crack this afternoon and still no positive result! I disconnected the discharge from the pump and ran a hose from the pump to a glass jar and cranked the engine several times with coil disconnected. The pump failed to draw fuel from the tank.
Connected the jar full of fuel to the suction side of pump and cranked engine. Pump pumped fuel from the jar so proving the pump works.
Disconnected the hose at pump suction side of the pump and blew compressed air back to tank again with the tank outlet pipe disconnected. Line appears to be clear.
Disconnected the pipe from the outlet of tank and no fuel flowed out of tank. Tank has 20 Litres of fresh fuel in it.
Blew compressed air from outlet of tank into tank….. thinking it may be blocked. Fuel still didn’t flow out of outlet after blowing and Roding line with wire
Question:
1. Could the tank have a blockage on the pick up line inside tank?
2. Should I see fuel come out of tank when I disconnect the tank outlet pipe with the tank 1/2 full?
Any comments appreciated.
Cheers Rob
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Rob do you think maybe there is an air leak in suction line from tank to pump? How is union joint on line? Also, just because pump can pump from a nearby jar doesn't mean it is sucking ability is 100%. If it was me I would be taking pump off the block and activating lever by hand to see what sort of suction you can feel with finger over inlet and what sort of pressure you can get with finger over outlet as next test. While its off open it up and have a look at one way valves and diaphragm for damage.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I just overhauled my fuel pump and have observed there is zero air in the fuel bowl when running. If you got this sucking from a jar the pump is working 100%. Have you blown compressed air back through the tank and heard it bubble out through the fuel in the tank? If so could be a leak in the line as said. Is the flexible line collapsing under suction, blocking flow?

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Put a bit of rubber tube on the tank outlet. Suck until you get a mouthful of fuel. Spit. Rinse mouth in VB. This proves the tank.

Reconnect fuel line, disconnect at pump. Connect rubber tube to fuel line. Suck in a mouthful of air, put finger over tube end, breathe out. Repeat until you get a mouthful of fuel. Repeat VB.

This primes the fuel line. You’ve already primed the pump.

Reconnect. Crank.

Note: smarter men than me can siphon without partaking of a mouthful of distillate. Damned if I can.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by yaapeet30 »

How is the valve in the fuel cap? I would take the cap off and see if it will now pump fuel. A very simple and quick test. The valve might be blocked or collasped.

While a totally different motor but a number of years ago I couldn't get a lawn mower to start. It had compression, spark, cleaned out carby and jets etc... Stuffed if I could get it going (yes bl..dy lawn mowers.) I happen to try one last go but had accidently left the cap off. You guessed it started first go. Tried with cap on and would go. I cleaned to cap / valve, and it hasn't missed a beat since.

My other thought was the braided fuel line might be cactus and sucking air.

Cheers

Rod
PEARO

Post by PEARO »

Thanks all for the info and advise I’ve always loved bouncing ideas around.
Just to recap I’ve replaced the pump a day ago with a brand new item (understand new items can be faulty)
All rubber fuel lines are new
Have run the tests with the Petrol cap off and on with no difference.
Replaced inline filter with new item and checked flow direction.
Blown compressed air through lines and back into tank. Haven’t checked if I can hear bubbles in the tank when blowing air into tank as I’m on my own (by choice) in the garage and have been using air gun shoved in the hose end. I will hook up a fitting on the hose tomorrow and blow from pump back and listen at fuel filler.

As far as the syphon, spit and VB chaser procedure suggested by Harv well……. I’m not a big fan of VB but…. I get the process. Might just leave this technique as “if all else fails drink beer” as last resort.

Has anyone else experienced a blocked fuel pick up in there tank?
Should fuel flow out when the tank outlet line is disconnected with half a tank?

Cheers
Rob
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

It won’t flow out generally as it has to siphon over the diff hump. You should hear the air escaping at the tank from the engine bay. If the cap is on the tank will try and expand, making the top pop up.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I thinking maybe the pickup in the tank has fallen off ? If you pressurise the tank - gently - fuel should flow out of the fuel line , if it blows air the pickup has fallen off.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
yaapeet30
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by yaapeet30 »

Have a look at this Youtube clip. Graeme starts a grey in an EJ that has been idle for at least 15 years. He problem solves a similar issue which ends up been a gummed up pick up tube possible caused by old petrol. He uses a vacuum tool to suck up the fuel from the tank. No need for the VB mouth rinse-haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM22W7kdsc0&t=669s

By the way if you are interested in rust repairs this bloke is brilliant. A lot of his work is on &*#@ Coupes but does other makes as well. He is in South Oz. I always look forward to his new video releases. By the way the video link above was only released today. Seems quite timely.

Cheers Rod