Accelerator pedal

Includes seating, upholstery, door trims, dashboard and heater.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blackdog
State: WA

Accelerator pedal

Post by Blackdog »

Hi,

The play on the pedal was getting too much. And I had repaired it twice prior.
So got a rare spares one in.

Have a look at the side by side below

You can see the two spot welds that join the pivot to the pedal are such that the foot that bolts to the floor is not set square like the left one. Left as it it hit the kick panel.

Also in the below you can see the difference in the angle of the lever (and my previous repair)

Not sure if the new pedal is out of spec. (First reaction). Or my pedal is out of spec. Or both!

One way to overcome this:

I ended up separating the two spot welds from the pedal, aligning the pedal straight. Then i added a section (in red) both sides and bottom ( U shaped) welded in. How do you do that with a rubber backed pedal? :)

This added piece is to extend the load to which the stress can transfer. I don’t think the two spot welds so close to one end provides the strength as that’s how mine failed previously. Plus I’m running twins so likely a bit more stress than a single.

Second thing I did was grind the spot welds on the pivot (green arrow) and turn the linkage lever to align with the old pedal angle and re-weld.

Tested, aligns well doesn’t foul and linkage works to full throttle opening.

Key learning: check your replacement rare spares pedal against your old one before you fit it. Mine were chalk and cheese.

Black dog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.
Blacky

Re: Accelerator pedal

Post by Blacky »

There has been a bit of discussion here about this over the last year or so , some seem to be spot on , others like yours are not within cooee

A bit of a quality control issue over in China methinks ............ not that unusual :silent:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Never had to use a repro one. Original on the ute is like new, well almost. Either was low mileage or always held flat.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Re-do the welds joining the lever to the shaft - my rares one failed there before it left the spray shop - welds had zero penetration - i pointed it out to Dave at Rares and he was addressing it but the one i got in replacement a few months later was no better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

Hi FJWally,

Thanks
I read your post prior on that as a warning and checked the shaft welds very closely. Surprising they were ok
Just the other attachment points!

Blackdog
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be.