Distributor wars

Includes wiring and battery, generating system, starting system,
ignition system, windscreen wipers, lighting system and instruments and gauges.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Distributor wars

Post by Blacky »

A long time ago I bought a you beaut electronic ignition modified grey motor distributor, I had to send a stock one over east and the bloke modified a late model distributor and using bits from the grey motor donor dizzy made me a distributor.

Me old mate Western Wagon bought one as well and he put his in just before christmas and raved about how good it was so I thought to myself, tonights the night I will finally fit my you beaut dizzy and give it a run this weekend before the ute heads east next week for the nationals - its only an hour or 2 to change out a dizzy, do a bit of wiring and give it a bit of a tune up - right ?

WRONG :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: pulled the old one out in the first 5 minutes , then spent about 2 friggin' hours trying to fit this MONGREL of a thing :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I could get the old one , drop it in piece of cake - even tried it on an old motor in the shed , new one - not a bloody chance , old one - straight in every time , figured there was a problem with a clearance somewhere so got the verniers out and sat them both on the bench and started measuring - everything looks the same . Got awful close to hurling the bloody thing out the shed door but went and persevered with it in the old motor on the floor. After wrestling with the bloody TURD of a thing for another 20 minutes it FINALLY dropped in - and do you think I could get the farkin' thing out ????

Used a block of wood and a prybar and got the heap of shit out , thought "screw it I will find out who I bought it off and send it back " then stupidity set in and I decided I would have another go fitting it to the ute - only took about half a bloody hour but I got the prick of a thing in eventually ................ I am missing skin off four knuckles and the back of my left hand, theres blood all over the firewall and my neighbours think I have caught Tourettes :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: did most of the wiring , need to buy a longer coil lead tomorrow and a couple of star washers and a new set of plugs - the bastard better work after all this pus and pain :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

rant over .................
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Re: Distributor wars

Post by Harv »

I recently had a similar drama with Grace's rebuilt dizzy. 3 hours of fighting it, vernier work, dropping in old dizzies, turning the oil pump by screwdriver, advancing/retarding one cam tooth.

Just. Would. Not. Go. In.

Dark, in the driveway, and getting cold. My neighbour's kid had expanded his vocabulary by three new words (and having lived next to my house for years, he already has a pretty good vocabulary).

Rob came over, regreased the thing and leaned on it. I mean really leaned on it, to the point of leaving marks on his hands. It eventually dropped in. The new o-ring was oversized, and gets mooshed between the block hole, dizzy spigot and the timing indicator/clamp.

Had to pull it back out a week later to do the timing gear. No way was it coming out. Had to lever it out using the timing indicator/clamp, bent that in the process. It's getting a much smaller o-ring before it goes back in again.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Gee, I hope it’s not a tooth out blacky

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Third world problems !!!!!

Rubber o ring is a huge pain in the but, If you have the right thickness it slides in and out without issue (that didn't sound right) :laughinggg: :laughinggg: :laughinggg:

Greg.
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

It’s not the O ring
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

Ive seen in a lot of post 2010 gearing the cutters no longer cut a bevel in the leading edges like the old timers did so things seam to catch - as apprentices we were taught to just run a file over those leading edges before fitment just made everything mesh and change so much smoother.
You will find me lost somewhere!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

FJWALLY wrote:Ive seen in a lot of post 2010 gearing the cutters no longer cut a bevel in the leading edges like the old timers did so things seam to catch - as apprentices we were taught to just run a file over those leading edges before fitment just made everything mesh and change so much smoother.
That would have been a good idea - one thing I did notice was the gear is on upside down compared to a stock distributor so that could have a lot to do with why it was such a whore of a thing to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

It looks like I timed it well to change it anyway - here’s what I pulled out -

No wonder it was running a bit rough ImageImage

Guessing that would be the cause of this -

Running really well now , new set of plugs and just kept winding the advance up until it didn’t want to turn over and it’s running like a champ - now I need to figure out an electrical woe that has just arisen, when you turn the lights on the tacho stops working ...... there’s always something ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You said it

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie