No oil pressure to rockers

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKUTE
State: NOT ENTERED

No oil pressure to rockers

Post by EKUTE »

I've run into a problem, no oil getting up to rocker assembly.Motor was recoed as was oil pump.I,ve checked oil pump is pumping ok, oil comes out where oil pressure switch is located but no oil getting to gallery that feeds overhead assembly .I removed oil line, not blocked and removed fitting from block.I removed the cam, holes line up to cam bearing at top and inside for main bearing.How is the oil gallery fed from pump, must be blocked somehow or is the cam bearing hole upside down, any ideas anyone?I thought there could be air lock problem so I filled block side gallery with oil but it didn't,t make any difference.HELP.Robert.
Blacky
State: WA

Re: No oil pressure to rockers

Post by Blacky »

Is this in a running motor or are you just turning it over on the starter ??? From what i can recall it takes a little while to get oil up to the top deck
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Pump to cam oil gallery, then via the groove on one of the cam bearings up the block. Pipe across to rockers. Some lost via the rocker bleed hole, rest out the rockers.

The cam groove is only about 1/3 of the bearing circumference i.e. the groove only squirts oil up to the rockers 1/3 of the time that the cam spins. Blacky is right, it can take a while to get there.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EKUTE

Post by EKUTE »

Motor ran a few times, very noisy up top obviously, also turned by hand heaps and with a drill to spin oil pump still no oil.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Were the cam bearings changed? Only one of the bearings has two holes... if a one-holer went into the wrong spot (or rotated), then no oil feed to the rockers.
cam bearings.jpg
cam bearings.jpg (12.96 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EKUTE

Post by EKUTE »

Thanks Harv,the cam bearings where changed.The bearing that corresponds with pump line has 2 holes one at the top that runs to gallery that feeds overhead assem and one that faces inwards towards crank.Is that right or should the hole be at bottom directly above pipe gallery .
Harv

Post by Harv »

Not sure - been a long time since I've looked at a set of cam bearings installed to check orientation. I'm on the road for work, so cannot check one of my spare blocks.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

The workshop manual suggests 1 o'clock and 3 o'clock, but may be more an artists impression than reality.

cam gallery.PNG
cam gallery.PNG (558.26 KiB) Viewed 801 times

Cheers,
Harv
EKUTE

Post by EKUTE »

I tried blowing air in the oil pump pipe line hole to see if it run through to the cam bearing , no air coming through that way.Looking at diagram air should come through cam bearing.I poked a piece of wire in the hole that corresponds with cam bearing it lines up ok.The hole that was drilled through main bearing diagonally must have a dead spider or something blocking that hole.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Not sure that fix will help him - it forces more oil out the rockers if they are gummed up (by restricting the bleed). If his rockers were gummy, he would have oil pizzling out the bleed hole. Sounds like he cannot get oil even that far up the assembly.

Cheers,
Harv
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

If the cam bearings have been replaced, the No.3 cam bearing may have been pressed in with the oil holes misaligned.

A quick check for the oil feed is to set the motor at firing instant for no. 5 cylinder, pull the distributor out, then turn the oil pump with a screwdriver (use a drill, because your hands will get tired). The oil should appear at the rocker shaft lube fitting fairly quickly.

If no oil, then take the pushrod cover off, remove the feed pipe, and turn the oil pump again. Oil should come out the fitting instantly. (I think no. 5 firing is the right timing to get oil up to the rockers. It's certainly a little later than no. 1 firing, but not much.)

The remedy is a partial engine strip-down: sump off, camshaft out, and inspection of all the cam bearings to make sure that the oil holes are correctly aligned. Sadly, you're not the first to have this problem in a newly reconditioned motor.

Rob
EKUTE

Post by EKUTE »

Pulled the motor out yesterday, removed sump, timing cover and cam, checked cam bearing, it lines up with holes ok, tried blowing air through pump line again, air comes through so its not blocked or pressed in wrongly.Put all that back together again, maybe l didn't run it long enough, l,ll try running it again today.Will post an out come later.Thankyou to everyone for helping,I,ve spent quite a bit of money on this motor and the last thing I want to do is stuff it up now, hopefully the problem will be solved,I,ll keep you informed.
ehsv6
State: VIC

Post by ehsv6 »

Lube up the rockers with oil before you start and even add more as it warms up. Its a tiny tube and you've got cold, thick new oil trying to get up there.
Member EH Holden Car Club Vic
Supercharged V6 EH Sedan
EH Wagon
Harv

Post by Harv »

Assume the oil pressure idiot light is going out? Might pay to put a temporary gauge instead of the idiot light sender. Should be around 30psi at 1500rpm (rough). Idiot light is around 10psi. Could be the oil pump crook, or not engaged by the dizzy though you would think the bottom end would be sounding hurt from the test runs if that was the case.

Cheers,
Harv
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

had this problem with a grey along time ago and it didn't rectify it self untill I ran the engine for a good 45 mins to an hour gummed up oil line to rockers needed to get it warm a few times then it started to flow but I also oiled up the rockers and listened for any bad noise's while running it
EK JAY SINCE 1990