No oil pressure to rockers

Post original documentation here

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Re: No oil pressure to rockers

Post by Harv »

Assume the oil pressure idiot light is going out? Might pay to put a temporary gauge instead of the idiot light sender. Should be around 30psi at 1500rpm (rough). Idiot light is around 10psi. Could be the oil pump crook, or not engaged by the dizzy though you would think the bottom end would be sounding hurt from the test runs if that was the case.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
EK JAY

Post by EK JAY »

had this problem with a grey along time ago and it didn't rectify it self untill I ran the engine for a good 45 mins to an hour gummed up oil line to rockers needed to get it warm a few times then it started to flow but I also oiled up the rockers and listened for any bad noise's while running it
EK JAY SINCE 1990
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

It's an interesting post though. My old and wise engine fellow at Queanbeyan said to oil rockers and run my newly reco engine at 2000 rpm for 30 minutes the first time I run it to bed in everything- particularly the cam bearings. I thought that would be excruciating to do, but apparently is what is needed. Unless you are there watching cam bearings and oiler go in you just have to hope the mechanics know what to do. I can sympathise with the uncertainty around this.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Running a new engine for 30 minutes at 2000 rpm goes with pretty much any engine except for 253 and 308 engines where the oil pump may not suck oil unless its primed first. The trick in the old days was to fill the pump with vasoline and that would ensure oil pressure instantly. You need to make sure you have at least oil pressure and unless there's something drastically wrong with the assembly techniques nothing should go wrong.

Running an engine at these rpm helps bed mostly the lifters to lobes on the cam and eliminates galling and premature cam lobe failure.

Every engine I have ever built cops the run in treatment and I have never had any fail apart from breakage of components. Ha I remember a 186 that I had running big revs when a rod broke, the damn thing destroyed everything, crank, block, head, cam and blew apart so hard it cracked the alternator case and split the oil pan !!!!!!!

Fun days.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Yes bed the lifters in. Used grease in the oil pump rather than Vaseline last time. But notice they don't recommend it now.

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:22 am Yes bed the lifters in. Used grease in the oil pump rather than Vaseline last time. But notice they don't recommend it now.

grease bad, it gets in the lifters and gums them up , vaseline will absorb into the oil from what I have been led to believe.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks b

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

The guys that built mine used a lot of Molly Grease or something like that as when we pulled the sump off to give it the once over before re-installing(as it had been 2 years) the pick up and pan were full of this thick black goop that in no way shape or form was ever going to go through the oilers - wash - flush - run - flush - flush flush to get it clean again - my dad used to just do several oil changes(with cheap oil) in the first couple of thousand to ensure everything had been flushed through properly then put in the good oil for the longer bed in's seamed to work well.
Errol62 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:22 am Yes bed the lifters in. Used grease in the oil pump rather than Vaseline last time. But notice they don't recommend it now.

You will find me lost somewhere!
EKUTE
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EKUTE »

Well it's been awhile now,I can report the following to the oil pressure problem.I forgot to mention I put in a new distributor,one of those knock off $80 specials.I don't think it was going in quite enough to engage the oil pump, the shaft size was slightly larger than the original one so I ground off a few thou and its going in that bit further, now the pump is working.I don't know if anyone else has had that problem installing the new dissy, the body is larger and I found l had to put the dissy one tooth back so vacuum advance is near to linkages because if l put it in the right spot the clip that holds on dissy cover hits side cover.In conclusion l didn't,t need to pull out motor and pull it apart again but I'd done so much to the motor and didn't,t want to destroy it.The other part that hasn't,t helped is l bought a 3 gauge set,a cheap set again so as to keep an eye on proceedings.it came with copper pipe for oil pressure gauge and it wouldn't,t read pressure which now that pump is working still won't give a reading, it was supplied with very narrow pipe and although oil comes out it doesn't,t with any pressure so I'll try using a larger pipe.The car itself I've owned for 10 years and will shortly be on the market as l need the money to finish my house.I will post it on this forum as soon as it's finished.I bought this car through this forum when l was still living abroad,it was my daily driver until about 3 years ago.It was then that l pulled out the motor and rebuilt it.I,ll have to figure out how to post photos as well.Thankyou to every one for your help,its a must for us old holden enthusiasts.Will keep updated.
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Good work Robert

Glad you managed to make good progress. Can you post info / link about the knock off dizzy you mention, just curious. Thanks

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
WesternWagon

Post by WesternWagon »

Was going to ask if you changed the Dizzy? Have seen them jump before if not tight enough
Had a few challenges getting my after market dizzy to seat initially, got there eventually

Gazza
Member : Holden Car Club WA.
:ASRF Member
: Secretary FB/EK holden Club of WA.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I had a hell of a time getting my aftermarket distributor in , its not a $80 epay chinese knock off but its not genuine either
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

There is an excellent conversion to red motor distributor I came across. Comes with a big red cast iron adapter. Heh, heh, heh......

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:27 pm There is an excellent conversion to red motor distributor I came across. Comes with a big red cast iron adapter. Heh, heh, heh......

The orange iron adapters are good too, but they relocate the dizzy to the firewall and need another two plug leads 😀

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.