Rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates

Need something for your daily driver or to finish off that project?

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Harv
State: NSW

Rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates

Post by Harv »

For the meth monster project, I had grandiose plans to buy a set of Lakewood traction bars. After being stuffed around by a moderate-sized go-fast parts company, they finally realised that they did not have the part in stock, and would need to order from the US. A quick call around to a few of the other usual suspects makes me realise that everyone advertises them but no-one holds stock. The idea of waiting for their next order (... quite a few months) does not fill me with joy.

Time to bite the bullet, and build my own pair of traction bars. I'll share a dimensioned drawing back on the meth monster thread once I'm done.

I've got the steel tubing, square u-bolts and snubber sorted out. I'm a bit hesitant though in that it will involve welding the traction bar on to the "rear spring and shock absorber mounting plate" on each side. These are the squarish plates that the diff u-bolts pass through. It would be just my luck to weld the traction bar on, only for the engineer to change his mind and not like the idea. I thought I had a spare set of plates, but clearly I have stored them in a "safe place"... lots of hunting and no finding.

Does anyone have a spare set of "rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates", similar to the below photo, that they are willing to sell please? There's a beautiful fresh-painted set in Willunga, but not sure I am fast enough to knock those off without being chased out of town with pitchforks and torches :lol:

All FB/EK plates are the same (7412449 for LH, 7412450 for RH), though they are different to FE/FC etc.

Rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates.PNG
Rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates.PNG (596.48 KiB) Viewed 408 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Re: Rear spring and shock absorber mounting plates

Post by Errol62 »

Hands off!

I should have spares but can’t find where I’ve stashed them. Can’t find even the ones for the van, sorry.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I recall the bars bolting under the spring plate using the U-bolt ends.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

The "universal" traction bars bolt under the factory plates, and use square u-bolts to clamp to the spring fore and aft:

Universal traction bars.jpg
Universal traction bars.jpg (103.38 KiB) Viewed 396 times

This is what I was going to buy. Simple, but a little less tidy than the bespoke ones that Lakewood make for different cars. The bespoke ones replace the factory plates, but retain the mounting rubbers:

Bespoke traction bars.png
Bespoke traction bars.png (489.76 KiB) Viewed 396 times

The bespoke ones have "ears" that allow you to bolt up the shock absorbers. It's a bespoke one that I'll make. I like the bespoke ones better, as they sit closer to the axle... measurements show I am going to be pushing the limits of the 100mm ground clearance requirement, so losing the factory plates will help.

Depending how it all ends up (including the angle the bar will get adjusted to so the snubber is preloaded), I'm hoping to have enough clearance to add the triangular "lump" underneath, and hence make up some saddle clamps and j-bolts (a little overkill, but cool nonetheless).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Much tidier I agree

FB ute driver, EK van project

EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I think I've got some spare Harv, I will look tomorrow morning.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Let me guess - Rocket ????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

EK283 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:25 pmI think I've got some spare Harv, I will look tomorrow morning.
Thanks Greg.
Blacky wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:19 pmLet me guess - Rocket ????????? :roll: :roll: :roll:
Normally yes, but not this time. VPW and EMA. Won't mention the mob that stuffed me around for weeks after I placed the order... medium sized trader who won't remain in business long if they operate that way :(

Cheers,
Harv
EK283

Post by EK283 »

This has to be some sort of joke !!!

I looked everywhere, they are not where I thought they were, and actually they may have been the ones on my car.

I remember drilling them for the bigger u bolts but I swear I had 2 sets, I will keep looking.

Sorry Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

You mean these?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

They are on there way to you now Harv.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

Many thanks Brett - appreciated.

Thanks too Greg and Clay for looking. Suspect mine and your plates are all hiding in the same pub :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv