Harv's traction bar thread

Includes shock absorbers, springs and steering linkages.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Harv's traction bar thread

Post by Errol62 »

Sounds a bit like caltrac setup

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Not sure if Mick's setup is Caltrac (which uses a pivot to bear down on the top of the spring leaf), or TractionMaster (which is a radius rod setup that does not bear on the spring or spring eye).

I managed to get hold of VPW, but sadly they do not have any of the Lakewood GM X- and F- body units in stock to measure for me. From some HAMB help, I've managed to get the rough dimensions of the shock absorber plate for these vehicles - assume the Lakewood units are similar. Using this and a bunch of published info gives the dimensions below:

Lakewood bar dimensions required.png
Lakewood bar dimensions required.png (90.97 KiB) Viewed 743 times

From what I can see, both the Universal and the GM units will come close to working on an FB/EK. They are a smidge long (the snubber would need to run on the shortest of the three holes provided), but OK to either live with the length or trim to suit. The GM unit mounting holes (that use the original u-bolts) may be problematic. The 3 1/8" distance is fine, but the 3 7/8" distance is painful. It requires the u-bolts to be moved out along the diff tube (no drama... the banjo diff does not locate the u-bolts), but you can afford to go to about 3 5/8" before the u-bolts will hit the rear brake hose bracket.

For the GM unit, the issues stack up for me - risk of hitting the brake hose bracket, overly long, only one of the three shock mounts will get used, and pricey (about $370 for the basic bar, and then another $180 if you want J-bolts :shock: ). Given these issues, I'm not going to pursue the GM unit any further.

Plan for now is to take a look at the Universal unit, and then detail out what an FB/EK specific unit looks like (using either the Universal unit as a starting point, or some RHS and fittings).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY
State: VIC

Post by FJWALLY »

55-56 chev type wouldnt work harv? Length of bar may need “adjustment” but otherwise should be bolt on? Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

In place Image

Harv

Post by Harv »

They probably would come close to fitting, but those look to be a Caltrac setup (I think the forward pivot is sitting on top of the leaf spring in the photo?)

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Yes they are called Caltrac type - the forward pivot does look to be sitting on the leaf yes and rear pivot is connected to spring pivot - is that an issue?
I would have thought this type set up would be more effective than the unconnected rear pivot type.
Harv wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:08 am They probably would come close to fitting, but those look to be a Caltrac setup (I think the forward pivot is sitting on top of the leaf spring in the photo?)

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Caltracs are more effective... but are a little too modern for what I am looking for. Mid-90's technology from Calvert Racing.

Cheers,
Harv
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

These look like those you were looking at but have the addition of the drop down controllers - lakewood style Image

Harv

Post by Harv »

Thats spot-on what I want to build, including the oh-my-gosh-thats-yellow paint and Traction... Action decals :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You're gonna need wheelie bars next

FB ute driver, EK van project

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

While I wait for the Lakewood Universal bar to show up, I’ll dig into the rules around installing traction bars. The guidance around traction bars is captured in NCOP Section LS Tyres, Rims, Suspension and Steering… but is not particularly clear. Section 1.1 indicates that "track rod" installation is a basic modification not requiring certification, with Section 4.6 clarifying that track rods may be fitted to control rear spring wind-up provided that they meet the minimum ground clearance requirements. This would indicate that I can bolt up some traction bars without an engineer… provided a “track rod” is a traction bar. Sadly, NCOP is silent on what a “track rod” is though, and the term has a lot of different meanings – for example, it can mean a panhard rod or a front suspension tie-rod depending on the author. The National Guidelines for the Construction and Modification of Street Rods in Australia (section 6.12) notes a difference between track rods (which it allows, subject to clearance as above) and traction/slapper bars (which it prohibits due to the traction bar nosing under brakes and limiting suspension movement under cornering). I suspect from the above that NCOP is referring to a radius rod, but cannot be confident.

So a bit uncertain whether traction bars can be installed on an FB/EK without certification (but pretty clear they cannot be installed on a street rod).

However, NCOP Rear Suspension Modification (Design) Code LS5 Section 3 allows for “Traction aids attached to a live rear axle near the spring mountings”, provided they are compatible with the geometry of the spring, do not cause any binding with suspension movement, and that under body clearances and ground clearance must be maintained and continue to meet regulation requirements. This sounds like I can install traction bars, though need certification. The regulation requirements mean that I need at least 100mm at any point within 1 metre of the axle (NCOP Section LS Section 2 General Requirements Section 2.1.4) and that the traction bars must hang no lower than the wheel rim (NCOP Section LS Section 2.1.6 Tyre Deflation). For my FB/EK, this gives the following:

Ground clearance.png
Ground clearance.png (39.71 KiB) Viewed 696 times

The traction bar can be 64mm deep, limited by the 100mm road clearance requirement. Note that this is using Sampson Magnum 13” rims (same rim diameter as standard FB/EK), but 205 tyres (different tyre profile will alter the above).

The Moroso traction bars are 2.5” (63.5mm) and thus would comply, but not sure about the Lakewood ones (suspect they are the same, but will see when they arrive). If you are making bars at home, 65mm RHS would probably be close enough to the 64mm to be compliant (you can probably squeak another 1mm by smooshing the diff u-bolt rubber mounting pad or inflating the tyres a little more).

Cheers,
Harv
Mick

Post by Mick »

this was on facebook and is pretty much what i had described
160191757_10159096478574183_9082734958982738743_o.jpg
160191757_10159096478574183_9082734958982738743_o.jpg (136.58 KiB) Viewed 678 times
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Old ad from the Eddie Thomas Speed Shop for various Holdens. Note that these are Traction Master type rods.

Advertisement for Tramp Rods from Eddie Thomas.pdf
(11.12 MiB) Downloaded 82 times

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Slowly working on the traction bars in the background. Got most of the fittings, but had to wait a while for the steel (the Postie looks at me funny when he delivers stuff like that).

Rough mockup:

traction bar mockup.jpg
traction bar mockup.jpg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Should look closer to this (final dimensions to be checked to make sure the snubber hits the spring eye):

FBEK traction bars interim.png
FBEK traction bars interim.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Need to get the FB's front wheels back on the ground for fit and fiddle. Its been up on stands for a while with one wheel off, waiting OK from the engineer to grind back the control arms (so the whopper stopper brakes will fit). Got the OK this morning, so this weekend is brakes back on, then fiddle with traction bars.

Naturally, no self-respecting mug lair can make slapper bars without the period correct decals. Just need the canary yellow paint.

traction action decals.jpg
traction action decals.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 585 times

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Bogantastic !!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.