Door Rubber

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Door Rubber

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Ok
I know this has been Spoken about before ( to death ) BUT which door rubber is the best I have used Rares not happy at all as the doors are hard to close you have to slam them to get them to close.I Have used Rares rubber conditioner didn't help The compound seam to hard and the profile to high .I am wondering if Betta or Classic Resto have a better product? I Know some people have used Rares without a problem . I have had them fitted for a lot of years hoping that they would settle in in time, But that's not happening and I have had them to long fitted to return . I have even thought about sanding the back / base down but that would be a monster headache ( I'am over it ) :ughh: :ughh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
62ekute
State: ACT

Re: Door Rubber

Post by 62ekute »

I bought the full kit from Better Auto Rubber in Albury. I don't need to slam the doors because of the rubber (only if all windows are closed). I've seen pictures of drain holes in the bottom of some door rubber - the Better Auto Rubber ones I bought don't have these.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Rare Parts in Welshpool , WA make their own and they fit nice :thumbsup: 08 9470 1117

Tell them Blacky sent ya and they will charge you double ... :wink:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
fraze
State: VIC

Post by fraze »

I used the door rubbers from Better auto Rubber in my FB, all good, no problems at all. Fraze
igor
State: SA

Post by igor »

We replaced the door rubbers from Betta Rubber in our ute and sedan , easy to fit, soft pofile and seal excellent. Doors shut perfect, no slamming required.
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Billy,

I used the new generation of Rare Spares rubbers and they fit pretty good now.

The old profile was much larger and required door slamming, the new ones are firm and with no windows or hardware in them yet shut with out huge effort.

If you used super glue in the channels there are products that soften it to remove, although it would be a quite a large job.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Another vote for Rares. Their old door rubbers were crap. The profile/material was changed around 2012, and the new ones fit great. Stu found this out when he did his rubbers at the time:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... er#p186241

Around 2013/4 or so their was a mixture of old and new stock in the market. I bought my rubber kit, and verified all the dates were post-2012. No drama with the fit.

Part of the problem is that most people only do one, perhaps two sets of door rubbers in their lifetime. They remember the last one they did, often before Rares corrected the problem. Rares are not perfect, but I have found them (Les, Dave, Lance) to be pretty willing to refund on the spot for crap product and more than willing to retool to suit. Have fixed a few dramas with them that way.

Acetone (nail polish remover) will remove superglue... just trial it first to make sure it does not damage whatever is under the glue.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

I didn't use Superglue or contact I used a Locktite product but cant remember the No of hand 425 possible is superglue or contact glue what i should be using what have you used over the years
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Post by EK283 »

BILLY BLACKARROW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:54 pm I didn't use Superglue or contact I used a Locktite product but cant remember the No of hand 425 possible is superglue or contact glue what i should be using what have you used over the years
Billy that in essence is a super glue, so acetone will soften it for removal. Its a bugger of a job !

I have used the loctile glue as well.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
BILLY BLACKARROW

EK283 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:04 pm Locktite product but cant remember the No of hand 425 possible
What I found with this is it sticks well to rubber but not so good to a painted surface so has let go over time
BILLY BLACKARROW
BILLY BLACKARROW

Ordered Better Rubber door seals Monday the order was sent Wednesday at 3.25pm qld time on my door in Newcastle 7.30 am n.s.w. time the next day Talk about fast Delivery. now if someone hasn't got anything to do they could come and help strip the old out and fit them :wink34: :wink34: :grinnn: :grinnn: They suggested WURTH glue they dont sell it and i cant find any in Newcastle Any ideas
BILLY BLACKARROW
Harv

Post by Harv »

Loctite 454. It's a superglue, but a gel (doesn't drip). Sets a little slower than normal superglue, which is good if you have fumble-fingers like me. Doesn't make clear plastic go milky like normal superglue so good for gauge faces etc. Can get it from places like Bearfast, CBC Bearings, Blackwoods etc.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
BILLY BLACKARROW

What have you used
Last edited by BILLY BLACKARROW on Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BILLY BLACKARROW
BILLY BLACKARROW

I am thinking that I will have to use something else Thanks Harv
BILLY BLACKARROW
62ekute
State: ACT

Post by 62ekute »

I've got the better auto rubber ones as well...most of mine is just pressed into the channel with a couple of dabs of super glue where needed - this was mainly done as a temporary measure but I haven't needed to give it more than that (yet)