Rear chassis rail mods.

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

oz_ek
State: VIC

Rear chassis rail mods.

Post by oz_ek »

Last time I spoke to a certifying engineer in regard to moving the rear rails inward on my ute I was told it wasn't allowed, is this still the case?
EK283
State: NSW

Re: Rear chassis rail mods.

Post by EK283 »

VSB14 are what NSW use and I believe that's what's used in Victoria as well, lots of great reading and of course will need an engineer certifier to approve it.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/vehic ... 011_v3.pdf

Section 4.5

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Heavily dependent on the engineer involved, but normally yes.

NCOP Section LH Body and Chassis Section 4.5 allows wheel tubbing without certification (with a few provisos). If you move the structural sub-frames or chassis rails, the vehicle must be certified under Codes LH5 and LH6.

LH5 allows for structural modifications to extend inner mudguards (amongst other things). It mandates the dreaded beaming and torsion test, and requires all reinforcing material thickness designed to be no more than twice original section thickness and with no stress concentrations at the ends of reinforcing sections. LH6 is a little more gentle, and really only mandates an inspection before (and after) paint/trim.

The kicker is the beaming and torsion test. Few have been done, expensive, and no guarantee your mods will pass (perhaps doubtful even an original vehicle will pass some days). I thought about it (as I wanted aircraft landing wheels on the back of my wagon) but was scared off by the cost and risk of failure mid-project.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

i was quoted 1800 bucks to get it done to certify the CRS chassis kit that was fitted for the 202 in my car in vic.
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

was talking to Brodie over here the other day , he does these mods every day of the week at his shop , in WA it is doable but yes a torsional rigidity test is required , cost over here in the vicinity of $1500
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:22 pm Heavily dependent on the engineer involved, but normally yes.

NCOP Section LH Body and Chassis Section 4.5 allows wheel tubbing without certification (with a few provisos). If you move the structural sub-frames or chassis rails, the vehicle must be certified under Codes LH5 and LH6.

LH5 allows for structural modifications to extend inner mudguards (amongst other things). It mandates the dreaded beaming and torsion test, and requires all reinforcing material thickness designed to be no more than twice original section thickness and with no stress concentrations at the ends of reinforcing sections. LH6 is a little more gentle, and really only mandates an inspection before (and after) paint/trim.

The kicker is the beaming and torsion test. Few have been done, expensive, and no guarantee your mods will pass (perhaps doubtful even an original vehicle will pass some days). I thought about it (as I wanted aircraft landing wheels on the back of my wagon) but was scared off by the cost and risk of failure mid-project.

Cheers,
Harv
i have spoken to many NSW engineers re tubbing and none of them want a bar of it if it involves moving the rail, they are fine to go to the rail but not moving the rail, i've even asked can i narrow the rail nope! (and some i have spoken to are quite open to pushing boundaries) BUT there are NSW cars with obviously moved rails that are apparently engineered, i've spoken to some owners about it and they seem very coy to talk about it :problem:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter