My new daily

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

My new daily

Post by Errol62 »

Picked up this VDJ76R the other week, which I plan to drive until they take my license away.Image
So hopefully another 25 years or so as I’m now 61.

It’s a 2012 model so no DPF or pesky piezo injectors. Only one turbo so not too tight in the engine bay. Came with bull bar and Warn 5t (I think) winch, Redarc deep cycle dual battery setup, air, cruise and tow. Otherwise stock and will stay that way other than new heavy duty shocks all round.

Also came with a big roof platform and flashing lights, which I’ve taken off. Picked up a set of roof bars to go on which are better for surfboards. If I want to go bush I will put the platform back on to carry the extra spare that came with it etc.

This was an ex-work vehicle for my group so I know it’s full history from new. Only 86000km on the clock so should see out the 500000 odd km I envisage doing, and handle most everything I throw at it.

After removing the roof platform I started giving it a thorough cut and polish. Big job, especially the roof, which was a bit weathered from eight years outside with the rack on top. Just the bonnet to go now.

Started pimping the interior a bit for comfort and storage, as these things are pretty basic. I do like basic mind you, especially the hose out interior. Got some canvas seat covers, not the black duck ones which are about $700. Door pockets with cup holders, and an additional cup holder, storage console thingy, as from factory there is only one cup holder.Image

That’s about where I’m at with it. Going for a dealer service on Monday and set of genuine front floor mats. These are about the cheapest thing I’ve got for it so far at $55. Dealer will no doubt tell me if there is anything they think needs attention but I’m not anticipating anything. They will purportedly do 600,000 with just basic servicing. We shall no doubt see.

The missus isn’t real happy with it as she liked the luxury of the old Forrester. She complains every time she has to climb up in to it and about how agricultural it is. I on the other hand, love it.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Re: My new daily

Post by Errol62 »

Oh and Drew gave me one of his custom 3” gearshift extensions to go on it. Thanks Drew, though I reckon 1 1/2” would suffice.

Rafferty has been driving it on his learners, mainly around the back roads and on Sellicks Beach. Good car to learn manual in as it’s very hard to stall, even when he drops the clutch at idle in second gear ffs.

EK van on rotisserie
gpi
State: VIC

Post by gpi »

youve changed
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Been driving landcruiser for work since 1981 so not really Patrick. I hate buying and selling cars so I’m hoping this will be the last time, unless it is a toy car of course. Once I’ve finished tidying it up it will get used and pretty much ignored otherwise. Then I’ll get back on the Holden’s.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:20 pmOnce I’ve finished tidying it up it will get used and pretty much ignored otherwise.
It's a Landy. Unkillable. Even the Owners Manual recommends to run them on sump oil and neglect :lol:

I'd wager that Rafferty learns to tow EK utes home with it 8)

Glad to see that my Daughter Number 2 is not the only one who thinks first gear is optional for take-off.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Blow me down. The window winder cranks will accept FE HR handles with minor modification to allow the holden circlip to engage. Toyota spline is longer. You can either grind the head or put couple 1mm grinder blade cuts in the splines. Maybe I could tart up the ute with cruiser interior........ yeh naahhImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I have had Cruisers for work utes for years as well - gotta love paying $80k+ for a ute that doesn't even have a bloody clock :evil:
I have no idea why Toyota engineers in their "wisdom" put the only cupholder in thething at a 15 degree angle ...... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Its because we've all gone soft but 70 series haven't blacky.

And yes harv hope you're right. Raff could feed me projects in my dotage.

EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Love toyotas - best built cars on earth I reckon.

There is one very big thing I hate about 70's though - rear leaf Springs - firs mod I would do is to cut them off and put a 4 link type set up with coils - 100 times better.

Stick a chip in it and it will get along a lot better also even with only one snail. My dream toyota would be my FJ with the 200 series twin Turbo V8 with a chip- wow!

Strip the guts out of it and use a couple boxes of dynamat - also makes them a lot nicer to drive. Spray on Stone guard underneath after a thorough clean and they almost start to feel like a decent car again.
You will find me lost somewhere!
fb delivery
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fb delivery »

A 76 series
Arn't they the ones with a Hilux front diff and gearbox
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

$*#@ modifying it just drive it. Dunno if hilux shares bits but doubt it. Heater knobs maybe.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

fb delivery wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:27 pm A 76 series
Arn't they the ones with a Hilux front diff and gearbox
The Bunderas were like that - short wheelbase Cruiser wagon with Hilux running gear , horrible bloody things
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Popular with the kids now, the old Bunderas, as will be the FJ Cruisers of today no doubt.

I didn’t get this bus to go rock sliding. Been bush bashing all my working life and don’t need to do it for recreation. What leaf springs are good for is simplicity, strength and hard work. Front and rear beam axles leaf or coil is still a better off road proposition than IFS in any case, as is manual diesel over auto petrol, except maybe for tearing up sand dunes. No, my recipe for longevity is to leave things stock, service and maintain.

The stuff about the track offsets is mainly bullshit too imho. They skip from rut to rut. Running too much pressure, wrong tyres for sand. The Nissan’s run similar offset I’m told.

EK van on rotisserie
fb delivery
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by fb delivery »

Arn't the Bunderas a 74 series
I might be thing of the HZJ 76
i have HJ 75 with a12HT and a HZJ 75
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

The FJ's are a brilliant all round vehicle for touring - comfortable - powerful and very nimble in tight spots - modded the right way they are the best tourer around in my opinion - Surprisingly in our club it's the older guys that love them as you can drive all day and not get out feeling like your back is on fire every time.

Drive it how you like - thats the beauty of car ownership - it's yours to do whatever you want - they are just some mods I have seen that improve those car no end.

As you say most driving is about driver skill and knowledge of their own vehicle - amazing how much farther you can get with a bit less air in the rubber things.

I don't go for rock sliding either which is why the IFS FJ is perfect - with right suspension they flatten out and soften a lot of the high speed bumps of outback rutted roads and dirt highways with a lot more steering control and comfort.

4WD can be bottomless pits when you start modding and car prices are pretty ridiculous now on top of that.

Well bought - a proven truck for Aus conditions.
Errol62 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:42 pm Popular with the kids now, the old Bunderas, as will be the FJ Cruisers of today no doubt.

I didn’t get this bus to go rock sliding. Been bush bashing all my working life and don’t need to do it for recreation. What leaf springs are good for is simplicity, strength and hard work. Front and rear beam axles leaf or coil is still a better off road proposition than IFS in any case, as is manual diesel over auto petrol, except maybe for tearing up sand dunes. No, my recipe for longevity is to leave things stock, service and maintain.

The stuff about the track offsets is mainly bullshit too imho. They skip from rut to rut. Running too much pressure, wrong tyres for sand. The Nissan’s run similar offset I’m told.

You will find me lost somewhere!