Hidden wiper motor

If it doesn't fit below then post here and see if another FB EK fanatic can help you out.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Hidden wiper motor

Post by Blacky »

I wanted to get the wiper motor out of the engine bay so I had a crack at hiding it under the dash - been done plenty of times before but not by me .
I started with a Commodore wiper motor because they can be found for nothing out bush on the side of the road in certain areas Image and a Cole-Hersee universal wiper switch which is ideal for the job and will accept a stock wiper switch knob.
First step was to knife the firewall off a dirty old EK up in EKMart to save me from working under a dash and set it up on the bench.

Then mount the original motor up to see where the spindle needs to sit

Then using a bit of CAD and a hand held milling machine I made a bracket to hold the Commode wiper motor under the dash

Then remove the original wiper motor and mark the new plate with the right centre hole so the motors spindles are in the same spot

Then I started to reverse the drive mechanism to face the other way , chopped this and turned it around 180 degrees , then ended up having to strip it all again later so that was a waste of time Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Re: Hidden wiper motor

Post by Blacky »

Put it together for a test run , wired the motor up using a wiring diagram from the FE/C forum and kicked it in the guts .

This is the part number for the switch

Of course it didn’t work properly the first time, the timing was way out , when one wiper was fully vertical the other was about halfway up the screen so I yanked it out and set the original stuff back up , turns out the drive arm is on about a 15 degree angle and that needed to be reversed as well. Not so easy but doable. I ground the weld off the back of the pin and drove it out with a pin punch only to find it’s keyed . Attacked it with the hand mill and welded it up facing the other way and now it all works like a bought one ImageImageImageImage

Modified on the left, original on the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

You've got way too much spare time on your hands. Envy. Well done.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:34 pm You've got way too much spare time on your hands. Envy. Well done.
This has been floating around in my melon for years, only now got to do it because I am also modifying a pedal box to set up a cable clutch in the red rattler so while the firewall is on the bench I thought why not. This is actually for the 2 door that I have been building for over 20 years now ..... probably the first bit of progress on that thing for 3 years or so ..........

Spare time is something I am woefully short of .... :esad: :esad: :esad:

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

20 years you say !!!!!

The problem with modifying is that you normally do it 3 times before its right, that's what zaps all the time.

A question relating to the wipers, does this mean you wont be running any sort of demister or have you got something else up your sleeve ??

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 am 20 years you say !!!!!

The problem with modifying is that you normally do it 3 times before its right, that's what zaps all the time.

A question relating to the wipers, does this mean you wont be running any sort of demister or have you got something else up your sleeve ??

Greg
I have built about 10 other cars in that time , the poor old 2 door always seems to be on the end of the queue :cry: when i started it there were none around - only one that I had ever seen or heard of and that was in Sydney , I got most of the bodywork done and nek minnit they were everywhere :shock: :shock: :shock: , kinda lost interest in it then but cant bring myself to sell it - its a retirement project :D

I reckon a 12v demister will be the plan , only need it for rego :thumbsup:

FbSTDwagon
State: SA

Post by FbSTDwagon »

That is a pretty clever mod!
I like it!
Drew
Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:58 am
EK283 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:43 am 20 years you say !!!!!

Greg
I have built about 10 other cars in that time , the poor old 2 door always seems to be on the end of the queue :cry: when i started it there were none around - only one that I had ever seen or heard of and that was in Sydney , I got most of the bodywork done and nek minnit they were everywhere :shock: :shock: :shock: , kinda lost interest in it then but cant bring myself to sell it - its a retirement project :D

I reckon a 12v demister will be the plan , only need it for rego :thumbsup:
there were a couple mine is 24 years old and there was a V8 2 door sedan from i think the Hurstville area (black and white one) that was around before mine
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Mick wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:04 pm

there were a couple mine is 24 years old and there was a V8 2 door sedan from i think the Hurstville area (black and white one) that was around before mine
yeah Mick the black and white one from Kingsgrove is the one I am referring to - I left Sydney in 1988 and it was around then , I saw yours at Eastern Creek when I was back in Sydney for holidays I dont know what year that was - it was pink and parked in the carpark . I started building mine in the late 90's.

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Blacky wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:30 am

yeah Mick the black and white one from Kingsgrove is the one I am referring to - I left Sydney in 1988 and it was around then , I saw yours at Eastern Creek when I was back in Sydney for holidays I dont know what year that was - it was pink and parked in the carpark . I started building mine in the late 90's.
Yes that Black and White car went to Vic and at the time the NSW plates were available so I grabbed them. Black and white EK 327.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

Nice one mate :thumbsup:

Cheers
Nathan
FB/EK Holden Car Club of W.A. Inc
Foundation Member
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:57 am

Yes that Black and White car went to Vic and at the time the NSW plates were available so I grabbed them. Black and white EK 327.

Greg
I remember seeing it on ebay for about 8 grand or some ridiculously low price

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:46 pm
EK283 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:57 am

Greg
I remember seeing it on ebay for about 8 grand or some ridiculously low price
wonder where it is now saw it a few times for sale and around at shows but haven't seen it for a long time, actually the pink 2 door would have been back around then aswell, the one that's in i think SA now

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Mick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:22 pm

wonder where it is now saw it a few times for sale and around at shows but haven't seen it for a long time, actually the pink 2 door would have been back around then as well, the one that's in i think SA now
Isnt the pink one - Dr Tubs or something wasnt it ? now painted black ?? I only ever saw it once, at the Nambucca nationals , about 2003

Mick

Post by Mick »

Blacky wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:15 pm
Mick wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:22 pm

wonder where it is now saw it a few times for sale and around at shows but haven't seen it for a long time, actually the pink 2 door would have been back around then as well, the one that's in i think SA now
Isnt the pink one - Dr Tubs or something wasnt it ? now painted black ?? I only ever saw it once, at the Nambucca nationals , about 2003
yeah the Townsends from Glen Innes originally built it as a 4 door with tubs and V8 and sold it, it went back to them for the 2 door conversion shortly after, then a guy in Sydney i know end up with it he had it for quite a while i think the guy that put the Dr Tubbs plates on it bought it off him (could have been an owner in between) he had it for a while then it sort of dissapeared and then end up in SA

ANYWAY back to your hidden wiper motor

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter