Rear wheel cylinder identifcation HR Diff.

Includes handbrake, cylinders, shoes, discs, rims and rubber.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Rear wheel cylinder identifcation HR Diff.

Post by funkyscooter »

So I have a HR diff in my FButEKsedan. When I stripped it down last year I replaced the rear wheel cylinders with the HR option from Rares.
This is the box they came in
Wheel Cylinder Box.JPG
Wheel Cylinder Box.JPG (712.35 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Here is the new one compared to the old one.
IMG_6130.JPG
IMG_6130.JPG (665.01 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Clearly different. But hey rather than question it at the time - what the hell, lets install them anyway! Maybe when you press the peddle the piston will push out?
Cylinder Installed.JPG
Cylinder Installed.JPG (822.96 KiB) Viewed 726 times
Well still haven't fit the diff back into the car but the shoe/cylinder combo just looks wrong.
Any ideas?
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
funkyscooter

Re: Rear wheel cylinder identifcation HR Diff.

Post by funkyscooter »

Rares part on the invoice was 7420771, "Holden Cylinder Wheel Brake Rear with Drms EJ EHHD HR LC"
Scott
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Scott,

You have managed to get the rear wheel cylinders for 4-wheel-drum-brake cars.
You want 9/16" bore rear wheel cylinders, which are for cars with front disc brakes.

Rob
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Rob - So when I re read the invoice that makes sense!

Oh well - anyone need a set of rears let me know. If not I'll stick them on gumtree.

Scott
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

So went back to Rares site to order the correct ones. Did a search for "HR rear wheel cylinder". No products found.
Looked on Kingswood Country but this time searched "rear wheel cylinder". Found a picture of that looks right but the description reads....
Holden REAR Brake Wheel Cylinder x1 HD HK HT HG Torana LC LJ WITH Front Disc
HD, HK, but no HR. Surely HR is going to be the same as the previous and next gen Holden. But once bitten.....
Description does not mention bore size.
So back to Google "holden HR wheel cylinders". Second image is an Ebay seller "2 Rear Wheel Cylinders LH + RH for Holden HD HR HK HT HG Torana Sunbird LC LJ". The description on the site includes the bore size 14.28mm. Convert to inches = 0.5622. 9/16" is 0.5625
We have a winner.
Now I'm annoyed though. How can this be so hard?
Back to Rares and search "rear wheel cylinder" like I did on Kingswood Country (omitted the HR). Filtered Holden Only. The only hit is for FB/EK.
Sigh. Lets do this the manual way.
Brake Compontents > Holden > HR. Scroll through and the only product they list is the ones I incorrectly purchased. This explains why I would have got these ones - they are (seemingly) the only option. Then I remember the Kingswood listing that didn't mention HR. Turn off HR filter and change it to HD.
Page 3 has the following listing Holden Wheel Cylinder Brake HD - G LC - J Rear With Frt Discs
Success!
Bit frustrated by the search engine / item description on Rares site, but got there in the end.
Scott
Scott
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Talk to power brakes SA Scotty they are very helpful and all over this topic.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Mate the brake gods here in Sydney are Burt bros in Fairfield.

They have everything and will re sleeve original cylinders if they don't have new ones.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks Guys - hopefully sorted. Was a bit stupid on my part for not looking harder when I ordered the cylinders from Rares in the first place.
Scott
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Scott,

I find that talking to the oldest person at a long-established brake shop is the best thing.

A few years back I took a festy master cylinder and four equally diseased wheel cylinders to a brake place, and even before I opened my mouth the guy behind the counter wrote "FJ" on the job sheet. That gave me confidence. And then he said, "You started a restoration, but you did the brakes first to get the car moving. Now, a few years later, you've finished the job, and the brakes don't work any more."

This guy can see into my mind, I thought. " - Umm, yeah."

"You'll need to get the cylinders stainless-sleeved, and I'd advise new hoses as well. Then you won't have troubles if the car sits idle for a while."

He was right on all counts. Burt Bros, Fairfield. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Rob
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks for the detailed response Rob. Got brake and clutch master, clutch slave, brake booster, and HR disks brakes still to overhaul. Both Greg and your recommendation of Burt Brother's is a great help. Will be giving them a call. All too easy to fall into the trap of buying blindly on the internet.
Scott
Harv

Post by Harv »

I bet the guy behind the counter was Steve, the service manager. Really, really knows his old Holdens.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.