Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

funkyscooter
State: NSW

Re: Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks as always to the feedback. Always learning!
Next step - replacing the first of many sections of the boot rubber channel. This was closest and has some tricky bits so a good place to start.
IMG_0823.jpeg
IMG_0823.jpeg (844.36 KiB) Viewed 719 times
IMG_0824.jpeg
IMG_0824.jpeg (747.22 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Can anyone let me know if the welding between the boot channel and the boot hinge upright is normal? I have it on both sides. When I cut through it with the grinder it went bang and shifted either a/. boot hinge upright down and back 2mm or b/. the lip above the boot up and forward 2mm. The boot hinge upright is spot welded all along the parcel shelf so I was surprised it moved so much.
IMG_0826.jpeg
IMG_0826.jpeg (699.33 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Cut out the rust, leaving the top lip in tact which will give me a go line to weld to. There is a supporting brace which runs the length of the top of the channel. It is spot welded to the bottom and back of the channel.
IMG_0827.jpeg
IMG_0827.jpeg (823.11 KiB) Viewed 719 times
IMG_0828.jpeg
IMG_0828.jpeg (475.96 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

I made the brace and manage to not take one picture. It ended up being a battle as I tried to make it in one piece - folding the metal into 2 90 degree bends then massaging it with various shapes of metal to get it to curve into a similar shape to the original. As it will never be seen, not too concerned - just wanted to make sure it is strong. To make the U channel, which curves in all directions, I needed to make it in 2 parts. Back and bottom, then the front. The is a subtle wave as the channel as it curves around. I used a bit of tape and code to mark where it needed to be stretched and shrunk and transferred to my angle.
IMG_0831.jpeg
IMG_0831.jpeg (860.74 KiB) Viewed 718 times
IMG_0832.jpeg
IMG_0832.jpeg (474.89 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Then add the main curve only to discover the mount I made for my shrinker stretcher has a major flaw with tight radius.
IMG_0833.jpeg
IMG_0833.jpeg (727.04 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Test fit, stretch, test fit shrink. Repeat
IMG_0837.jpeg
IMG_0837.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 718 times
Plug welded the brace to the U section, the heat shrunk it slightly, so back to the shrinker stretcher which, to my surprise, still worked on the now 2mm metal.
IMG_0841.jpeg
IMG_0841.jpeg (853 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Tacked in and welded both the front and back of the braced section.
IMG_0842.jpeg
IMG_0842.jpeg (803.99 KiB) Viewed 718 times
IMG_0843.jpeg
IMG_0843.jpeg (586.61 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Dressed these down, then finished welding the rest in. Things got a bit hot for the lead which started to run.
IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_0844.jpeg (765.82 KiB) Viewed 718 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

To make the front edge I did a rubbing of the edge on paper with a dirty finger then transferred it to a bit of metal. It was not even close - way too much curve but was a starting point I guess.
IMG_0851.jpeg
IMG_0851.jpeg (695.05 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Test fit, stretch, test fit shrink. Repeat
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg (588.96 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Tacked in with my custom copper heat sink helping to pull the heat away and prevent any blow throughs.
IMG_0860.jpeg
IMG_0860.jpeg (797.24 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Almost done. Using a bit of 10mm square rod ground down to 9mm as a guide to level off the inner lip. Can't get round the corner so I'll do that by hand.
IMG_0863.jpeg
IMG_0863.jpeg (865.04 KiB) Viewed 715 times
And I have left this for now - suggestions welcome. To weld or not to weld?
IMG_0864.jpeg
IMG_0864.jpeg (635.44 KiB) Viewed 715 times
Scott
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Weld.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Weld

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Thanks gents - will do
Scott
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Clamp and weld !!

I think you got it.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Tidy work Scott.

My sedan has a couple of small holes in the same spot where the boot gasket sits. Possibly a common problem? Starts small with the owner not noticing then the boot leaks and before you know it rust rust rust!

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

In the Shed wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:40 pm
My sedan has a couple of small holes in the same spot where the boot gasket sits. Possibly a common problem? Starts small with the owner not noticing then the boot leaks and before you know it rust rust rust!
Mine is equal parts metal, rust, RTV Silicon and rust converter. The last two were added by me in '97. May have helped save some metal - but I think the last 21 years in a shed also helped.

Going to be a slow journey round this boot lip - wire brush out the rust only to realise on closer inspection that I have just polished it. It is as shiney as metal, but slightly darker grey. Very frustrating! Scrape, grind, chip etc etc etc
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Entertainment sidetrack..... A while back Blacky shared a link regarding welding with this guy https://www.youtube.com/@MakeItKustom
Follow him and he is doing a build with https://www.youtube.com/@HalfassKustoms
Like the way he does his builds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkemZVeDdj8
Amazing what you can do in your spare time in 7 months
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

So it's been a while - and not much has happened. Figured you didn't need to see every boring step of the boot lip rust repair but....... here's another one any way.

First off, after all the work that went into the corner section, I decided to have a go with a die grinder/powerfile/wire brush to remove the rust from a 'good' section, and fill it with weld with the MIG and grind flush. Think I spent twice as long to end up with something that is a bit shit. The original metal is also now really thin. You can see the join to a newer section 2/3 down the outer lip, which has already gone rusty. Going to cut it out and replace at some point.
IMG_1078.jpeg
IMG_1078.jpeg (684.73 KiB) Viewed 501 times
So todays adventure is removing the lip around the bottom support bracket, which is pretty eaten away around the spot welds. Figured this area might be of interest to some.
IMG_1070.jpeg
IMG_1070.jpeg (860.71 KiB) Viewed 501 times
As I am replacing the boot lip, I just drilled out the spots. Cut the top and side off the lip, leaving the base as a guide, run the wire wheel over it. I was hoping to just replace the top and side, thinking that the bottom was just be lightly pitted, but the wheel kept removing, and the surface of the bottom near the vertical brace was lumpy.
IMG_1072.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg (459.28 KiB) Viewed 501 times

So off it comes. A bit of rust on the bottom, but none on the brace.
IMG_1073.jpeg
IMG_1073.jpeg (751.8 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Wire wheeled and ready to prime and weld.
IMG_1074.jpeg
IMG_1074.jpeg (612.58 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Jammed a bit of wood between the brace and the panel to keep the distance right.
IMG_1076.jpeg
IMG_1076.jpeg (717.95 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Out with the orange paper to get the profile of the bottom
IMG_1083.jpeg
IMG_1083.jpeg (809.08 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Could have cut the metal to this shape, but easier and more efficient to form a straight piece.
IMG_1085.jpeg
IMG_1085.jpeg (846.55 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Well easier if you have a shrinker/stretcher! I stretched this - I guess I should have shrunk as I would end up with slightly thicker than thinner material.
IMG_1086.jpeg
IMG_1086.jpeg (708.11 KiB) Viewed 499 times
3 passes through and happy with the result.
IMG_1087.jpeg
IMG_1087.jpeg (701.01 KiB) Viewed 499 times
Bent and twisted to match the curve of the boot by hand, and got this. Outer edge is good to scribe and weld in.
IMG_1088.jpeg
IMG_1088.jpeg (849.26 KiB) Viewed 499 times
The heat got the better of me, but the plan is to use the existing base as a guide and finesse the inner curve. I have already made rest of this section, but didn't take any pics. Same process as before
Scott
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Impressive effort Scott.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Scott,

"Figured this area might be of interest to some." Yes. To me it is. Been there. Been there. But also interesting to see just how FB/EK differs from FE/FC, given that the body parts correspond . . . largely.

The inner rear quarter panels are the same for 3/4 of their length, and then diverge.
The vertical brace is similar, but yet is revised. Many more spot-welds to the boot rubber channel in FB/EK. And the brace isn't spot-welded to a body seam immediately behind.
The bodywork in FB/EK is a couple of inches longer than FE/FC here: you can see the extra length by the seam where the rear panel is welded to the boot pan.
I'm doing exactly the same repairs a.t.m., and am using your inner quarter panel repair as a reference.

Rob
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Hey Rob, glad my posting have been useful to you - reminds me I have got to head over to found object and see your progress. Will be referencing you RHS sill repairs when I finally get to mine.
Scott