Wilma FB project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Wilma FB project

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks Brett. They look like the typical bathroom heat light globes. I do get considerable heat from a cheap halogen work light I have but that looks like a more efficient setup.

With the two pack I believe humidity is the killer. Inhibits the hardener or something. Heating things up is a sure way to rid moisture, and any paint needs to be warm to flow nicely.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027
State: NSW

Post by Brett027 »

Hi Clay. That's all they are: but 250 watt each. I think normal bathroom ones are 150watt. They throw out a lot of heat- can't be close to them for very long at all.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
FbSTDwagon

Post by FbSTDwagon »

Gday Brett.
Nice write up and bloody nice work!
Good inspiration for my build that is soon to start.
Cheers!
Drew
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks for that Drew. An FB waggon? Lots of good advice available here if you need it🙂.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

A lot of bits to be painted in a front suspension! Finally got enough done to put a few parts back on. Not happy with the front rubber mount- it's as sloppy as...Are they supposed to be this loose?
ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Brett,

I thought FB front crossmembers were of rectangular cross-section, but yours looks the same as an FE-FC one - it's possible (in theory) to drop the sump with the engine in place. And you've got the spherical bump and rebound stops.

Maybe the rectangular section front crossmember and the conical bump and rebound stops appeared part way through the FB model run.

And the short answer about the crossmember outrigger rubber - yes, they're generally as loose as. It may take some fiddling with tubular spacers on the long bolts to get the outrigger centred in the rubber when the crossmember bolts are tightened up.

Rob
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Rob. I take your point on positioning the outrigger so will do that tomorrow when I torque up the bolts and check the measurements/spacers.
I just assumed the crossmember is FB, as it was on the car and has been for a long time looking at the detritus. I'll have a look at FB ute in paddock tomorrow to see what's what. My understanding was that the round bump rubbers were early FB. Its an early body so that might explain things.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Great work Brett.

Coming along nicely.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Greg. Something to do when its 12 degrees

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Wow. Looking good. Early FB had the round bump stops but not sure about the actual crossmember profile. I have an early one here I can have a look at but it is under a pile of other stuff.

EK van on rotisserie
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Looking back at the photos it looks the same profile as my ute has.

EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

ardiesse wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:08 pmMaybe the rectangular section front crossmember and the conical bump and rebound stops appeared part way through the FB model run.
The spherical bump stops changed to the conical ones midway through the FB run. The MasterParts lists the change as a different body number for every body type, in every state. Nothing in the Service Bulletins on the change.

Two outriggers were available for use on FE, FC and FBs - one 3.25" deep (7408935) and one 4.25" deep (7418850).

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Thanks Clay, Thanks Harv. Good to confirm the bump rubber issue and crossmember profile. I also checked my donor FB ute this morning and it looks the same to me as well. Phew. I was a bit unsettled thinking that the crossmember was not the right one for car. While Project 2 Is going to be a plaything, Wilma is supposed to be pretty close to stock.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Just checking: are the upper wishbones interchangeable? I'm hoping so cause I don't know which is which!
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Harv

Post by Harv »

FB - EH have a unique LH lower control arm (7417153).
FB - EH have a unique RH lower control arm (7417152).
FB- EH have a unique upper control arm (74117151).
The EH commercials had different upper and lower control arms (same as HD) to suit the wider brakes.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.